NJA and Marquis Press this week....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FamilyGuy said:
. And who could have predicted the huge surge in demand once the election was over?

Again, you want to sit in the backseat and second guess the people making the decisions, but you dont have the cahones to step up to the plate and compete for some of the open manager slots.....

Actually the huge surge in demand was predicted right on this board by a couple of Bush Supporters including myself. All you have to do is search the posts made on or around Nov 1. Too bad some of the company leadership supported Kerry.

Why would I want to compete for a manager slot?

FamilyGuy said:
Can you lighten up on the melodrama??? You sound like yoda in the latest star farce movie.....

And your statements are contradictory....you cant say "Modern day Corporate America is trained to only think of today’s profit and loss statement" and then blame the managers for the current sell offs. If they were only thinking of today's profit/loss statement then they wouldnt be selling off millions today.

They're selling off charters, of course! What're they supposed to do, tell owners 'oh sorry, we have no plane/crew, so you can't fly'. Dude, use some common sense. It's either sell off or pi$$ off, and you don't pi$$ off rich people that will take their money elsewhere. Perhaps if they'd planned for this surge, there wouldn't be these problems. That's called GOOD MANAGEMENT.

Then you are suggesting that companies be content with average growth and then chastizing them for not being ready for explosive growth???? What do you want? Good managers are ready for both. I hate to use this example, but look at JO at Mesa airlines. Yeah the guy's a scumbag piece of $hit, but he's a dam good manager. He's already secured a Delta contract to cover all the US Air flying that he thinks they're about to lose. But....even if they don't lose it, he's got the ability to get jets quick to cover the new flying with little or no risk to him. That's called PLANNING AHEAD. Ever hear of the 6 P's rule? If NJA were managed properly, they wouldn't be in this situation.

The simple fact is that excess planes are very expensive to just keep around and make payments on waiting for a buyer. The number of aircraft you keep (inventory) needs to be carefully managed. You dont keep building inventories when there is no sign of a turnaround in the economy. And who could have predicted the huge surge in demand once the election was over?

They never had any problem with keeping that inventory and paying for it before, so why do they now? What's the difference? They were making money when they did it before, why can't they make money now? You have problems paying for jets, RAISE THE RATES. These aren't penny pinching Greyhounders on travelocity clicking on the cheapest ticket in the back with the goats and chickens, these are rich people paying for a private jet. There's a difference. You invest in the future. Now, due to lack of planning by management, you're up $hit creek.

Again, you want to sit in the backseat and second guess the people making the decisions, but you dont have the cahones to step up to the plate and compete for some of the open manager slots.....

I don't think I could ever be a manager in aviation, because I have too much integrity. Most every management team out there is interested in one thing: lining their own pockets as much as possible. I think I might actually want to take care of my company and employees. That's a lost cause.

Whoa whoa....discussion in this thread was clearly about the overusage of a/c and the speculation of NJA buying Flight Options to ease the Marquis burden. Can we get back to this discussion?

I agree that Flight Ops also must feel the pinch in demand, however if Santulli is in search of tails this may be the quickest way to get them.

Thoughts?

El Chupacabra said:
Actually the huge surge in demand was predicted right on this board by a couple of Bush Supporters including myself. All you have to do is search the posts made on or around Nov 1. Too bad some of the company leadership supported Kerry.

Why would I want to compete for a manager slot?

El Chup - A prediction one week out doesnt help when you're in the business of buying and selling new business jets. You need to be thinking 1-3 years out....

If you dont want to compete to be a manager then that's your choice, same as mine.

My comments are aimed at the backseat drivers out there that want to second guess the managers after the fact, but dont want to step up to the plate and take a shot at managing with all of their apparent brilliance.....

It's always easy to look at history and pick the best course of action, but if you cant lead, or choose not to, then you shouldnt be taking potshots at the people that are trying. It doesnt help.

holden1 said:
Whoa whoa....discussion in this thread was clearly about the overusage of a/c and the speculation of NJA buying Flight Options to ease the Marquis burden. Can we get back to this discussion?

I agree that Flight Ops also must feel the pinch in demand, however if Santulli is in search of tails this may be the quickest way to get them.

Thoughts?

Re-read my original post. We barely have enough planes to carry out obligations to the FLOPS customers. Not nearly enough spare capacity to help NJA.

Frac Daddy said:
Re-read my original post. We barely have enough planes to carry out obligations to the FLOPS customers. Not nearly enough spare capacity to help NJA.

Yep, I saw that - was just wondering if there was other logic or reasons that NetJets might acquire Flight Options. I have heard from some folks in the field that flight options has a lot of debt on the books so it may not be worth it.

Also, now that you mention no having enough capacity, if that is really true (and I don't doubt you Frac Daddy), then why the JetPASS card program?

Holden1

Economy of scale. The combination of the airplanes from NetJets and Flight Options will allow them to fly more owners than they could do separately. Yes, I think the idea has merit.

Starman said:
Economy of scale. The combination of the airplanes from NetJets and Flight Options will allow them to fly more owners than they could do separately. Yes, I think the idea has merit.

True, but holden1's question is would the acquisition of FLOPS relieve the short-term capacity problems facing NJA right now. NO! Our core fleet (i.e. excess capacity) would not come close to solving this problem.

Economy of scale would be a LONG-TERM benefit, however.

Last edited:
holden1 said:
Yep, I saw that - was just wondering if there was other logic or reasons that NetJets might acquire Flight Options. I have heard from some folks in the field that flight options has a lot of debt on the books so it may not be worth it.

Also, now that you mention no having enough capacity, if that is really true (and I don't doubt you Frac Daddy), then why the JetPASS card program?

Holden1

I think your assumption is that we have a charter card program to fill a lot of excess capacity on our fleet. Following that logic, NJA isn't really short of aircraft. After all, they are selling Marquis cards like crazy. So they must be desperate to fill idle aircraft.

Look, if Starman's number of being 100 aircraft short is anywhere close to being true, our core fleet could not come anywhere close to relieving the pressure.

I'll say it again: Santulli wants the owners. That would be his motivation for a merger or acquisition.

Latest resources

Back