NJ Pilots, what would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly High

I am looking for some serious feedback here! I currently fly for a 135 company that I hate, Hate, HATE! Yes, I am blessed to have a job but I am thinking about a change to a job where you do not have to see Management everyday and put up with their egotistical crap. My current pay is around $40,000 per year with standard benefits such as dental, health and 401K and about 2 weeks of Paid Time off a year including sick leave. At my current job I am away from home about 45 nights a year. Would I be absolutely stupid to look into NJ? I live about a 4 hour drive from MSP with a wife and kids who do not want to move. Please give me as much USEFUL feedback as you can. Such as: does it mean that I would be sitting in MSP for 1 week in a hotel on my own tab when I would be sitting reserve, how long does one normally get stuck on reserve, what is your best guess at what kinka pay I would be at. I love my wife and kids to death and I would not put them a jeopardy just to have a job that I do not hate, but if I can have a job that I am happy with and also no put my family in jeopardy I think it would be worth the switch.

I both look forward to and appreciate you opinion!

Fly High said:
I live about a 4 hour drive from MSP

does it mean that I would be sitting in MSP
Before I tackle any of the other questions I want to make sure you know that MSP is no longer an option for a crew base. If you had been hired prior to ratification of the new contract you could have used MSP. Unfortunately, newhires must pick/be assigned one or the following domiciles:

Columbus, OH (CMH)
Teterboro, NJ (TEB)
Dallas, TX (DAL)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

Hopefully, enough applicants will tell them no and force them to open the gateways again.

Well, I guess that is one thing that I missed over the last month or so. I know that when I first started thinking about NJ it was on the NJ site and so I just assumed it was a base I could get. It amazes me that with the size of city that MSP is and the location of it that NJ nor Flops nor CS puts a base there. Well, I guess I will keep sticking it out at a job that sucks until things change.

Life goes on and all I can do is keep rolling with it as they keep kicking me!

How exactly does moving put your family in jeopardy? People do it all the time. I moved tons as a kid, and I'm only moderately screwed up. :D

Seriously, life is WAY too short to be working at a job you hate, especially when you know there are better ones out there. If daddy's unhappy, the family will be too, and vice-versa.

Fly High,

Love that avitar. "Jesus is the reason for the season"

Merry Christmas, and God bless. I hope God leads you to a job flying airplanes you love.

Wolfpackpilot

I have moved my family around enough in my wife's opinion. She ain't movin' no mo'. So, I guess I ain't movin' no mo'

There is nothing wrong with moving if everyone is in agreement. In my case, that is not the case. Maybe when my job turns me into a chain smoking alcoholic she will change her mind!

Fly High said:
I have moved my family around enough in my wife's opinion. She ain't movin' no mo'. So, I guess I ain't movin' no mo'

There is nothing wrong with moving if everyone is in agreement. In my case, that is not the case. Maybe when my job turns me into a chain smoking alcoholic she will change her mind!

I guess you could tell her you ain't moving from the couch no mo' until she gets herself a job to help make ends meet. Sorry to hear of your predicament.

Fly High - it might be worth your while to keep an eye on the message boards. There's speculation that NJA will discover it is hard to attract good pilots a few months down the road due to the domicile debacle. It wouldn't surprise many folks if NJA management decides to open the HBA (Home Base Airport) program to all pilots at the company as a result.

Latest resources

Back