• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ Oct 8th class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been at NJA just over three years. Last year at this time there were a bunch of us in upgrade right at the two year seniority point. I think some of the last bids went to about two and a half years or so. Remember that we are supposed to be getting a bunch of airframes in the next two years.

Hope this helps

They suckered me in with that too. Don't count on a 2 year upgrade... more like 5-6 year upgrade.

I was just curious if they were still telling people "2 years". Granted there are people that are currently upgrading around that time frame, its just that people that are hired today are lucky to get a 4 year upgrade.

Huh? Where are you getting this? Chief Pilots are in Recurrent right now telling people to expect two in a half years to upgrade in non-APU aircraft. We are growing with new folks and airframes. To add to the mix I know there are many pilots getting ready to take the recall back to the Legacy s they were furloughed from. All of those guys will be leaving the left seat open for new captains.

Yep, chief pilot told me that as well back in the spring.

I hope your right, and that I'm way off base. I really do.

To add to the mix I know there are many pilots getting ready to take the recall back to the Legacy s they were furloughed from. All of those guys will be leaving the left seat open for new captains.

Is that info as good as the 300+ guys that were going to bail when they got their second check?

Is that info as good as the 300+ guys that were going to bail when they got their second check?

I don't know. I never met anyone who said "I am outta here once the bonus shows up". I personally know of folks who turned down the first couple of recall letters because now they are 3 year capts pulling down 80 some Gs on the reserve sched. But the pilots I know all say they will go back to their legacy for future earning potential on their last recall. They will make less once back on property and will have to commute to their respective hub but they will never earn at NJA what they will at their major once their concessionary contracts are renegotiated IMHO.

but they will never earn at NJA what they will at their major once their concessionary contracts are renegotiated IMHO.

Until the next round of concessions after the economy takes a dump or another devastating terrorist attack occurs affecting the airline industry. While I pray neither of those occur, that's why I am leaving the airline industry and coming to NJA. There just isn't stability there and management/labor relations are awful.

But, heck, if those guys want to leave the stability NJA offers more power to them. Allows me to move up the ladder much quicker. I think a lot of guys just have to fly that "heavy iron."

Last edited:
But, heck, if those guys want to leave the stability NJA offers more power to them. Allows me to move up the ladder much quicker. I think a lot of guys just have to fly that "heavy iron."

I heartily recommend the 121 world to practically everyone senior to me, too. ;)

But, heck, if those guys want to leave the stability NJA offers more power to them. Allows me to move up the ladder much quicker. I think a lot of guys just have to fly that "heavy iron."[/quote]

I whole heartily agree. I know one of our guys who said he is never going back to Delta. He lives in Montana and if he goes back now his FO status at DL equates to a wash with what he earns as a capt here.....for now. Obviously a couple of years down the road his earing potential will be much greater at DL.....Anyway to each his/her own.

Some of choose to go back to being an FO.

Easiest job there is. :)

I still don't understand that move. That's a lot of money your giving up! (I know...the wife's a got a good job, but geez!)

Latest resources

Back