Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ guys - which airplane would pick as a new hire?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your statment implies that folks hired now will be upgrading within their second seat lock.

I'll be willing to bet that anyone hired now will be very lucky indeed to see captain in that time frame.

I'm into my third year and fully expect another 1.5 to 2 years for upgrade. Get on today and you'll likely be looking at six years minimum. Just my fuzzy math.

Upgrades at about 10/month or 120/year. Junior bid went to 1880, with about 2800 on the seniority list. My math is guessing at 10 yrs for a newhire today.

Upgrade will definitely be longer than the current 3 1/2 years. But 10 years seems a bit long.

I like your math, but I would say more like 6-7 years (and that's taking into account a bunch of retirements)........ and yes, I know, there is no mandatory retirement age, so it makes attrition due to retirements impossible to predict, but the older folks WILL retire, or lose their medical, unfortunately. And there will be some that will leave for UPS, FedEx, SWA, and other legacy's to satisfy that "big iron-itis".

I do agree, though, that upgrade time will substantially slow!

if you want to be a radio and gear bitch all the time take the 800xp. 80% of your legs are pax and for some reason the capts have a complex about THEY do all pax legs. Thats usually the first thing they say in the first day intros. It gets old but its a good paycheck.

that being said NJA is a great company to work for. Take what ever gets you a seniority number the fastest.

That's messed up. Everywhere else in the industry CAs and FOs swap legs unless there is a very good reason not to.

Sounds like the Sovereign is a double whammy - you fly a lot (including many transcons in the tight cockpit) and you might have to load a lot of bags due to the copious baggage space...

As a 680 pilot at another company, let me ease your mind about bags. You will have the same amount of bags in any airplane. The difference is that the Sov. gives you a place to put them. In other airplanes, you'll be playing baggage compartment Tetris and strapping them into seats. Believe me. It is easier to just throw them in the back than deal with finding a place for everything.

Seats are not too bad. They are reasonably comfortable for long trips (my longest so far is about 5.5 hours). For me, the bigger issue is occupying my mind rather than dealing with butt numbness.

That's messed up. Everywhere else in the industry CAs and FOs swap legs unless there is a very good reason not to.

Relax and don't let one guy's comment upset you. I was in the Hawker for over 6 years and the FOs get to fly just as much as the captains. As long as the FO has more than 75 hours, he/she can fly pax from the right seat. FO can fly empty legs from the left seat. MOST captains give the FOs the option to either fly every other leg and stay in the right seat the whole time or fly all the ferry legs from the left. 99% of the PICs do it this way in the Hawker.

No worries!

Your statment implies that folks hired now will be upgrading within their second seat lock.

I'll be willing to bet that anyone hired now will be very lucky indeed to see captain in that time frame.

I'm into my third year and fully expect another 1.5 to 2 years for upgrade. Get on today and you'll likely be looking at six years minimum. Just my fuzzy math.

you must only have a bid in for the falcon then....3yr guys are upgrading right now. Took me 2 1/2 but that was 2 years ago. Last bid award are 3 yr fo's so if your looking at that long then you must be bidding the falcon.

you must only have a bid in for the falcon then....3yr guys are upgrading right now. Took me 2 1/2 but that was 2 years ago. Last bid award are 3 yr fo's so if your looking at that long then you must be bidding the falcon.

I have been at NJs for 2 yrs now, an dont expect to upgrade for another 3 years. And that would be the first available upgrade.

I will never hold the falcon, as PIC.

I have been at NJs for 2 yrs now, an dont expect to upgrade for another 3 years. And that would be the first available upgrade.

I will never hold the falcon, as PIC.

yes i know...i wasnt refering to you. I was refering to the guy who said he was there 3 years, he shoulda upgraded already, unless his only bid is in the falcon.

Well, if I get hired, I'm gonna bid the BBJ!

That should heat this thred back up.

Good luck with that... :erm:

Latest resources

Back