• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ and Cessna??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone considered Cessna and Citation Air by Cessna as doing the same thing? If there was any measure of truth to what the article suggest, why would CS, with Cessna's help, be going through a rebranding, a redefining, and relaunch of the company?

Anyone considered Cessna and Citation Air by Cessna as doing the same thing? If there was any measure of truth to what the article suggest, why would CS, with Cessna's help, be going through a rebranding, a redefining, and relaunch of the company?

Well it's not like the executives up in Providence are going to call down to Wichita and say: "Hold up on this rebranding thing with CS, we are currently talking with BH about taking a majority stake in Textron". But, the time to buy Textron was 8-months ago, share price has more than tripled since then.

Well it's not like the executives up in Providence are going to call down to Wichita and say: "Hold up on this rebranding thing with CS, we are currently talking with BH about taking a majority stake in Textron". But, the time to buy Textron was 8-months ago, share price has more than tripled since then.

Actually it has gone up by a factor of five. I saw it as low as the mid threes and now it is pushing 18. Even with that it is still down about three hundred percent.

OOps, make that a factor of six. It is up to almost twenty today.

Last edited:
Actually it has gone up by a factor of five. I saw it as low as the mid threes and now it is pushing 18. Even with that it is still down about three hundred percent.

OOps, make that a factor of six. It is up to almost twenty today.

Buy on the rumor - sell on the news.

If it happens, it won't be the first time BH has done something were we say, "WTF?"

Interesting: What should we do to the fractional model to maintain profitability or (minimize losses) during time such as these. What else can be done to restore operational profitability without a change in demand?

The author suggests close ties with a particular manufacture...it's worked for Southwest. Now we won't ever have a single type, but Southwest doesn't own Boeing. Imagine if NetJets had some control of the products Cessna was making, that could directly impact the NetJets product. This could produce economies of scale advantages if unit cost goes down (especially when most of NJA's $$$ is made through aircraft sales), and increased infrastructure advantages with mission specific assets. Ponder, if you will, an 'Aspen' specific aircraft, or an 'Aspen' modified aircraft.

Discuss...

Avro, I think you hit the nail on the head about what author Mike Reigel meant: BRK takes enough of a share in Textron where it gets say-so in engineering of new Cessna Citations to better meet fractional operations needs. Remember that Reigel worked for Flexjet when Flex was given a lot of input into the then-in-development Bombardier Challenger 300. I'd actually be interested in hearing Flex pilots' view of the Challenger 300 as it relates to this conversation.

Avro, I think you hit the nail on the head about what author Mike Reigel meant: BRK takes enough of a share in Textron where it gets say-so in engineering of new Cessna Citations to better meet fractional operations needs. Remember that Reigel worked for Flexjet when Flex was given a lot of input into the then-in-development Bombardier Challenger 300. I'd actually be interested in hearing Flex pilots' view of the Challenger 300 as it relates to this conversation.

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/fractionals-evolution-in-action/

Further, Riegel is disappointed that the fractionals haven’t used their clout to force business aircraft manufacturers
to make products that are better suited for the fractional environment. “The fractionals need to inject themselves into an aircraft’s development stage. If they did, the resulting aircraft would be paradigm shifters,” he noted.

However, Riegel did praise Embraer for its Phenom 300, which he believes will be a great fractional airplane due to its performance and expected regional-airliner reliability. “Embraer’s approach to the market is good for fractional operators. It is targeting interesting segments, and the Phenom 300 will set the standard for fractional aircraft. This should be a real wake-up call for the established business aircraft OEMs.”

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/fractionals-evolution-in-action/

Further, Riegel is disappointed that the fractionals haven’t used their clout to force business aircraft manufacturers
to make products that are better suited for the fractional environment. “The fractionals need to inject themselves into an aircraft’s development stage. If they did, the resulting aircraft would be paradigm shifters,” he noted.

However, Riegel did praise Embraer for its Phenom 300, which he believes will be a great fractional airplane due to its performance and expected regional-airliner reliability. “Embraer’s approach to the market is good for fractional operators. It is targeting interesting segments, and the Phenom 300 will set the standard for fractional aircraft. This should be a real wake-up call for the established business aircraft OEMs.”

I heard NJ did have some pull with cessna when it came to aircraft design. I thought cessna didn't put auto throttles or auto spoilers on the X because NJ didn't want to wait any longer for the development of such a system, or something like that. I tought that NJ would have the most pull or influence of any Frac company on aircraft design, and they have left their mark on a few models from Cessna. I could be wrong, but I think that is what I have heard at Flight Safety or Simuflite.

Also.. Cessna never seems to make an airplane that is designed to fly more than about 300 hours a year, so their dispatch reliability is weak.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back