• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NICE Job Continental Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So if we back it up a bit...the Captain and dispatcher again are to blame for getting into the situation. The Dispatcher and the Captain should not have decided on Rochester. No staff, maybe no weather reporting (not sure never been there).

I guess what to do once they got there is debatable and a mute point. They should not have landed at a field with no ground support period.

Continental/ExpressJet blaming Mesaba/Northwest/Delta just doesn't cut it. Unless of course Mesaba was on contract to support ExpressJet in situations like this...

Astro

So if we back it up a bit...the Captain and dispatcher again are to blame for getting into the situation. The Dispatcher and the Captain should not have decided on Rochester. No staff, maybe no weather reporting (not sure never been there).

I guess what to do once they got there is debatable and a mute point. They should not have landed at a field with no ground support period.

Continental/ExpressJet blaming Mesaba/Northwest/Delta just doesn't cut it. Unless of course Mesaba was on contract to support ExpressJet in situations like this...

Astro

BOTTOM LINE

CONTINENTAL AIRLINES IS AT FAULT.
they ultimately choose to subcontract THEIR Passengers to another airline whom failed to deliver.
Why Is the question?.
Maybe if ExpressJet would have had Signature Flight Support as a Subcontractor, Signature would have Grey Hound Bus as a SubContractor, we could then Blame the Bus drivers Union.

Come on! look at the big picture.
The more this Crap is sub'd out the farther from Blame the Original Airline who HAD the responsibility to THEIR PASSNGERS is.
THEY sold THEIR tickets on THEIR web site, advertising THEIR service for Carriage.
Now who is to blame?
While the Peon's argure the CEO'S could care less.

Continental/ExpressJet blaming Mesaba/Northwest/Delta just doesn't cut it.

CAL/Expressjet didn't blame Mesaba. The Sec of Transportation did!!

But I guess some poster who goes by "Astroglider" on FI.com ranks higher than him?!

So I guess it's a MOOT point!?

CAL/Expressjet didn't blame Mesaba. The Sec of Transportation did!!

But I guess some poster who goes by "Astroglider" on FI.com ranks higher than him?!

So I guess it's a MOOT point!?

Mute point was an attempt at pilot humor...

Not sure what you mean by Astroglider ranking high than the Sec. of Transportation...WTF... The CAL PR guy certainly did blame Delta...and he got a response from DAL's CEO Richard Anderson.

Astroglider...Astro for short

Look Astro: This crew could have made a precautionary landing, off airport next to a Flying J truck stop on I-35 and recieved more aid than they did at this AIRPORT. Yeah, 6 hours is a longtime to sit on a plane, but in this day and age the f-ing airport mgr can get off his/her fat a$$ and beat a path to the airport and take care of a flight. Or Mesaba, in this case. Somebody has got to be tending these airports that can take care of a commercial flight. Or, if they don't want to, they can stop taking federal funds.

At what point does it become apparant to you that someone else had a role to play other than the PIC? We've discussed all manner of crazy theories about how to take care of the customers but almost no one has suggested we hold the person responsible accountable, except the US Sec of Trans, and you don't want to listen to him.

You are wrong about me Flopgut....I completely agree the station manager was an A$$ and he should be held accountable. Absolutely his fault...we never would have had this situation if it wasn't for him. But the Captain is also at fault for not attempting to physically get of the airplane and assist his pax in doing the same.

My point is and has been...if you are the Captain...and you find yourself in this situation...what would YOU do? Just sit in the airplane for seven hours? To my amazement some might...and I'll admit that attitude just floors me.

Astro

What if they landed on a country road or some massive parking lot? Would the people still be locked on board for 8 hours because there weren't any station people there?

It seems absurd that they land at an AIRPORT and are unable to figure out how to deplane. I could figure out how to deplane at a totally abandoned air strip with nothing for miles except a lone self serve gas pump.

This flight couldn't figure it out in ROCHESTER.

Did you get a look at the thunderstorms that night?

My bottom line is safety. If customers' comfort takes a back seat to that on 7 hours out of 5 million (which I think is what Expressjet is up to now as far as incident/accident free) then so be it.

Thunderstorms do not explain being trapped in an RON RJ. They explain the initial divert, maybe explain a half hour to an hour on a ramp with lightning in the vicinity.

They do not explain an 8 hour overnight. Nobody said pax comfort comes after safety. But somebody should have figured a safe way to get the pax off the freaking plane.

Why are you guys defending this? Really?

Latest resources

Back