Nice B6 history lesson

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you really make $250k a year?

I believe he is what we call an "RSA whore". The company sends out "RSA" notices to get pilots to pick up extra reserve days. You get paid whether you fly or not. It's a great deal - if you happen to live next to the airport and have nothing better to do with your life

The company keeps pilot staffing very low. That's why it's almost impossible to drop a trip even if you have plenty of PTO. If the RSA w************************* didn't prop up the operation, we might have the proper number of pilots on the property.

I believe he is what we call an "RSA whore". The company sends out "RSA" notices to get pilots to pick up extra reserve days. You get paid whether you fly or not. It's a great deal - if you happen to live next to the airport and have nothing better to do with your life

The company keeps pilot staffing very low. That's why it's almost impossible to drop a trip even if you have plenty of PTO. If the RSA w************************* didn't prop up the operation, we might have the proper number of pilots on the property.

Nope, not one RSA in two years... Just straight flying, timely FLICA pickups (5hr/day credit is awesome when paired with one DH leg), and most importantly-- prudent use of PTO (pickup/drop and Vacations with 10 hours of free pay)... It can be done, and the 5 year guys now will be where I'm at in 5 years with the aircraft deliveries and upgrades).

So far this year I've been able to maintain 100+ hours of credit per month using this strategy (best month 130 hours)... I will exceed $250K easy this year since my gross was at $141K at the end of June (July 8th) pay. Surely you can see the disadvantage one would have with pay caps...

Education here: You use PTO to get time off, I use it to get PAY. Even if there is no reserve coverage, you can pick up an open trip, thereby opening up reserve coverage and then drop the trip immediately-- since now, there is reserve coverage. The PTO counts towards premium and I can do it to the tune of 11 extra hours a month and still keep my PTO balance the same for the entire year since that is my acrual rate.

Last edited:
Nope, not one RSA in two years... Just straight flying, timely FLICA pickups (5hr/day credit is awesome when paired with one DH leg), and most importantly-- prudent use of PTO (pickup/drop and Vacations with 10 hours of free pay)... It can be done, and the 5 year guys now will be where I'm at in 5 years with the aircraft deliveries and upgrades).

So far this year I've been able to maintain 100+ hours of credit per month using this strategy (best month 130 hours)... I will exceed $250K easy this year since my gross was at $141K at the end of June (July 8th) pay. Surely you can see the disadvantage one would have with pay caps...

Education here: You use PTO to get time off, I use it to get PAY. Even if there is no reserve coverage, you can pick up an open trip, thereby opening up reserve coverage and then drop the trip immediately-- since now, there is reserve coverage. The PTO counts towards premium and I can do it to the tune of 11 extra hours a month and still keep my PTO balance the same for the entire year since that is my acrual rate.

Here is an Education:

Unions like APA, ALPA and others have negotiated credit caps when management wants to eliminate jobs. IF we cap credit at 85 vs the std 100 and we were going to furlough 100 and downgrade 50 you would only lose 70 and downgrade 35. It could be your job. Or your senior enough that you don't give a @rap. It won't cost you your job or your $250k.

Here's another bit! WE'RE BUYING PLANES! Hiring and understaffed. There will be no credit cap unless managment F's this thing up.

Hey here's another tid bit. Did you know that the 200 or so hrs of PTO you have saved up is useless if your out of work for more than 7 days? YEA that is correct. Read the book. You can apply for FMLA. Your 401k can't even help you. I was shocked when I read the handbook. hope you don't fall ill or have an accident. Those that have are not doing well. Make sure that STD LTD is up to snuff too. That's a fun process as well.

Why are we in the same pool as rampers, gate agents, flight attendants and customer service. AH, I know why, because it is illeagal for them to give any employee group something different unless they are leagally separate from the rest... How would one separate themselves from others...

And your right, I use PTO (personal time off) to spend more time with my family and less time at work. Either way you slice it, it's $$$. Spend it how you want.

Last edited:
Here is an Education:

Unions like APA, ALPA and others have negotiated credit caps when management wants to eliminate jobs. IF we cap credit at 85 vs the std 100 and we were going to furlough 100 and downgrade 50 you would only lose 70 and downgrade 35. It could be your job. Or your senior enough that you don't give a @rap. It won't cost you your job or your $250k.

Here's another bit! WE'RE BUYING PLANES! Hiring and understaffed. There will be no credit cap unless managment F's this thing up.

Hey here's another tid bit. Did you know that the 200 or so hrs of PTO you have saved up is useless if your out of work for more than 7 days? YEA that is correct. Read the book. You can apply for FMLA. Your 401k can't even help you. I was shocked when I read the handbook. hope you don't fall ill or have an accident. Those that have are not doing well. Make sure that STD LTD is up to snuff too. That's a fun process as well.

Why are we in the same pool as rampers, gate agents, flight attendants and customer service. AH, I know why, because it is illeagal for them to give any employee group something different unless they are leagally separate from the rest... How would one separate themselves from others...

And your right, I use PTO (personal time off) to spend more time with my family and less time at work. Either way you slice it, it's $$$. Spend it how you want.

Yes my friend, what a shocker... But isn't that what STD/LTD>LOL for anyway? It's incredible that even some Captains elect not to have STD!!! I've been on STD for two weeks-- the process worked just fine and I was able to utilize PTO without any problems. Losing one pilot to a furlough is one too many. Your example still sacrificies a few. 12 years going now and no furloughs (that's quite an accomplishment for a major airline)!!!-- All the benefits, pay, work rules, and retirement ALPA promises to improve won't mean a thing if you don't have a job...

Bayou, nobody here - pro- or anti-ALPA - wants pay caps. And I mean nobody. I've never heard that except from somebody trying it as a no-voter scare tactic. Darn near everyone picks time up to supplement his award. Maybe not to the extent you do, but pay caps here are counter-productive to everyone. It would be different if we were overstaffed, maybe considering layoffs, in which case pay caps would be a last ditch defense against junior pilots losing their jobs altogether so that senior pilots could keep their income up. Your guess is as good as mine whether that will ever happen here or whether it would be approved by the pilot group. I do know that there were a few senior pilots here who wanted to lay off pilots in 2008 to keep the bid divisors high. Thankfully, I think they represented a very small minority, and would have been prohibited by the PEA's anyway. Score one for the PEA.

Bummer, you're not 100% correct that PTO is useless while on leave, because you can still sell back PTO while on leave. The catch is only the PTO hrs in excess of 100 hrs in your bank are sold at premium. Hours below 100 are sold at base. Supposedly there's been a PIN in the works that would fix this, with retro pay for those pilots who sold PTO at base, but it's been "just around the corner" since sometime last year and it's still AWOL. PTO sellback isn't a fix for very poor disability benefits, but it's better than the nothing you seem to think it is.

Yes my friend, what a shocker... But isn't that what STD/LTD>LOL for anyway? It's incredible that even some Captains elect not to have STD!!! I've been on STD for two weeks-- the process worked just fine and I was able to utilize PTO without any problems. Losing one pilot to a furlough is one too many. Your example still sacrificies a few.

12 years going now and no furloughs (that's quite an accomplishment for a major airline)!!!-- All the benefits, pay, work rules, and retirement ALPA promises to improve won't mean a thing if you don't have a job...
First, Jetblue hasn't needed to furlough so that argument is moot. Next if it did furlough how are going to be recalled? In order of seniority of based on you kissing the DR's butt?
Your last statement is so true it's scary. YOUR PVC's vote in favor if the 5 documents has sealed our fate. Jetblue's ability to buy or start and alter-ego airline means we won't have a job. Lest you forget that section 15 allows Jebtlue to keep operations separate and ultimately use our a/c on the new airlines routes. Reread section 15 and then watch the kevin Fitzpatrick video. Kevin Fitzpatrick at 104:30 says our current PEA lacks this protection. Section 15 states acquired by another air carrier,the underline sentence needed to say: acquired by another air carrier or an Entity that controls an air carrier or any other Successor, Entity or Affiliate. This means that a Transactional Event under our PEA would trigger Mc Bond only IF the transaction was for the ‘combination of multiple air carriers into a singe air carrier “and” involves a transfer of ownership control of (i) or (ii).

The company wrote: …

1) event of any airline merger, or
2) the purchase of 50% or more of the stock of one carrier by another.

The company is trying to mislead the pilot group into believing that an operational merger is not required by Mc Bond when in FACT it is the first condition of the two step trigger. The company wants you to believe this because our current PEA and the PVC’s 5 documents FAILED to secure operational merger in any agreed upon or road showed documents. The company on tape at the road shows REFUSED operational merger. Since the Direction Relationship has proven to be a failure and will not provide the first trigger of Mc Bond, the process has to change the words within the statute to make it appear you are protected when in FACT you are NOT.

Look, you're a nice guy but you and the rest of the BoB's are fighting to protect a failed process instead of fighting to protect our careers.

Last edited:
The few guys who advocated furloughs to keep their bid divisor up, to a man they were anti ALPA.

So, stick that in your pipe and smoke it, BB!

Besides, think about it for a sec, BB is so worried about caps, a non issue, something tells me he would want to furlough if it impacted his way of life. Can't think of any bluepilots who believes Mr. BB would be in their court should the proverbial "" hit the fan.

Latest resources

Back