• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Nextel (Sprint?)

HawkerF/O

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Posts
757
Total Time
4500+
Anyone have info on the Nextel flight Department out of IAD? Aircrafts, pilots, QOL. etc? How did the Sprint merger work out in terms of the flight departments? Any Sprint pilots stay or did they get fired? I know Sprint was based of of Kansas City, and that flight department was an accident waiting to happen with a bunch of bitter 65 year olds that knew everything and had no real structure. I can't imagine that Nextel is run like that as well, but am curious as to what everyone on here knows about them. Also, I had heard that after the merger, the new company would be east coast based for 2 years then move to Kansas City. Anyone else know if that is true? Thanks in advance.
 

Mark Erickson

New member
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Posts
1
Total Time
9000
Most of the Pilots and Staff come from MCI Flight Operations, prior to worldcom buyout. The DO of Nextel is a Ex MCI Chief Pilot

Nextel flight department is now the primary flight department. (My Understanding)

MCI had 26 year and 50,000 hours of accident free hours ( 5 Falcon 900B/EX flying 5000 hours a year) , prior to Verizon purchasing what was left over. Nextel flight department will be a strong Corp Flight department.
 

SCT

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2004
Posts
1,464
Total Time
......
"I know Sprint was based of of Kansas City, and that flight department was an accident waiting to happen with a bunch of bitter 65 year olds that knew everything and had no real structure."

That is a very strong statement, do you have any insight?
 

HawkerF/O

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Posts
757
Total Time
4500+
SCT said:
"I know Sprint was based of of Kansas City, and that flight department was an accident waiting to happen with a bunch of bitter 65 year olds that knew everything and had no real structure."

That is a very strong statement, do you have any insight?
Some of the most unprofessional things I have ever seen from a flight department I witnessed watching Sprint aircraft operate. What I didn't witness 1st hand, I read in accident reports. At the time I was trying to break into the corporate world, and learned just from watching them exactly how to NOT run a flight department. I saw what no structure, wanton disregard for safety, and big egos do place a signifigant amount of potential financial liability upon a company. It was truly disgusting. I see now that Nextel is looking for a pilot, and I didn't want to apply if it was just the guys from Sprint doing business as usual.
 

chriskcmo

Well-known member
Joined
May 5, 2005
Posts
89
Total Time
1000s.
The Nextel and Sprint flight departments are still seperate entities. Spring is operating Gulfstreams out of KC and Nextel is flying Falcons out of IAD.
 

PseudoName

As the Turbine Turns.....
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Posts
146
Total Time
3.1415
HawkerF/O said:
Some of the most unprofessional things I have ever seen from a flight department I witnessed watching Sprint aircraft operate. What I didn't witness 1st hand, I read in accident reports. At the time I was trying to break into the corporate world, and learned just from watching them exactly how to NOT run a flight department. I saw what no structure, wanton disregard for safety, and big egos do place a signifigant amount of potential financial liability upon a company. It was truly disgusting. I see now that Nextel is looking for a pilot, and I didn't want to apply if it was just the guys from Sprint doing business as usual.

How long ago did you observe this flight department? I have a feeling you haven't witnessed the operations in the last 2-3 years. Do you know the D.O. or C.P. and are familar with the way they run the department? I didn't think so. Are you aware that the D.O. is a highly respected individual in the corporate aviation community? Of course if you had a clue of what is going on at Sprint, you would have your facts straight and wouldn't have burnt your bridge at Sprint/Nextel. As you know, aviation is a small world and so is this message board. Who in their right mind would go and bash a department who they are interested in working for?

You mentioned something about big egos at Sprint....if that was the case (which it isn't), you would fit right in!

Get your facts straight next time before you go out on a bashfest.
 

HawkerF/O

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Posts
757
Total Time
4500+
PseudoName said:
How long ago did you observe this flight department? I have a feeling you haven't witnessed the operations in the last 2-3 years. Do you know the D.O. or C.P. and are familar with the way they run the department? I didn't think so. Are you aware that the D.O. is a highly respected individual in the corporate aviation community? Of course if you had a clue of what is going on at Sprint, you would have your facts straight and wouldn't have burnt your bridge at Sprint/Nextel. As you know, aviation is a small world and so is this message board. Who in their right mind would go and bash a department who they are interested in working for?

You mentioned something about big egos at Sprint....if that was the case (which it isn't), you would fit right in!

Get your facts straight next time before you go out on a bashfest.
I reread and reread your post to me trying to figure out why you are not reading my entire posts. 1st, I have not burnt any bridges over at Sprint/Nextel. Never applied there, never worked there, never nothing. My facts are straight. There is no debating that I have seen what I have seen. The 40 degree bank angles 100 feet off the ground at take off never impressed me. The crew running a GLEX (great short field aircraft by the way) off the runway in EGE (runway was not contaminated) was real professional as well. Just about killed the CEO. Had the ground not been frozen, they would have killed all on board, but that's what happens when the F/O tells you you are too high and too fast for the landing and you tell him to Shut up and put the F#cking flaps down. Watching the GLEX land on the last 2500feet of a 7000 foot strip becasue they didnt want to go around (waiting for a Connie to clear the runway). That was impressive to me as well, you know having to have the T/Rs still at full thrust 5 feet from the end of the runway was real professional. I guess the high turnover rate in the dept is a good sign as well. Last guy that ran the show there went to SWA, the one before that got canned after Esry left (pilots all hated him cause he actually DID do things like they should be done). They brought in a pro and he got run off for doing it by the book. D.D. were his initials and he is a flight department turn around specialist. That is why they brought him in. He has a very impressive resume and has had great success with failing flight departments. Those cowboys are Sprint didnt want any part of professionalism. Taking a GLEX international with a pink slip (Illegal) and a F/O that had not been to school (Out-right dangerous) really told me how well run that place is. That was with their 1st Global, not the 2nd one they bought while in the middle of masive lay-offs destroying the economy of KC. Finally, if you read my post you would know I am not interested in working for Sprint. Nextel yes, but Sprint, no. I was very specific in saying I was not interested in working at Nextel if it was just the guys from Sprint. Get your facts straight before you step to me. I've seen it with my own eyes, you have not. It's no secret in KC what kind of operation that is. You are obviously from KC. Maybe you know someone over at Sprint, I dont know and don't care. Those guys will be history soon from what it sounds like anyways. You need to get your facts straight before you spout off about things you don't know or understand. Don't talk like Sprint is some 1st class operation with high regard for the NBAA management guide or some junk like that.
 
Last edited:

HawkerF/O

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Posts
757
Total Time
4500+
Pseudo,
I think I just figured out who you are. I think you and I know each other. I just put 2 and 2 together. Did I talk to you on the phone about Gulfport, MS conditions while you were driving through Barstow about a month ago? We have a mutual friend (J.P.) flying lears over at Airnet? Say it aint you...
 

HawkDrvr

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Posts
74
Total Time
some
Come on guys, it's been months (maybe even over a year) since we've had a good knock-down, drag-out here on the corporate boards. I've been reduced to reading the fractional boards lately.:D
 

fly4kix

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2005
Posts
55
Total Time
.7Dual
HawkDrvr said:
Come on guys, it's been months (maybe even over a year) since we've had a good knock-down, drag-out here on the corporate boards. I've been reduced to reading the fractional boards lately.:D

LMAO.....so true
 

PseudoName

As the Turbine Turns.....
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Posts
146
Total Time
3.1415
HawkerF/O....I am not disputing your facts about prior ops of the Sprint department. As I stated in my original post, your facts are incorrect about how the department has been operated in the past 2-3 years. I did not state that the department run similar to an NBAA management guide. I DID state that the current Director is well respected and runs a good operation....contrary to your blanket statement about the whole department.

You state you don't want to work for Sprint, but would enjoy a job at Nextel. How do you know that some of the Sprint guys won't be part of the Nextel flight department......maybe even part of a group that interviews future candidates for Sprint/Nextel.

I "stepped" into you because of your incorrect facts about the current management at Sprint. And also to give HawkDrvr a reason to read the corporate board again.

Also, your math is wong. I don't think we know each other....as I don't have any friends. However, I do know a few guys at Sprint and Nextel. Can I get bonus points for that?
 

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Posts
4,574
Total Time
18,550
HawkerF/O said:
I reread and reread your post to me trying to figure out why you are not reading my entire posts. 1st, I have not burnt any bridges over at Sprint/Nextel. Never applied there, never worked there, never nothing. My facts are straight. There is no debating that I have seen what I have seen. The 40 degree bank angles 100 feet off the ground at take off never impressed me. The crew running a GLEX (great short field aircraft by the way) off the runway in EGE (runway was not contaminated) was real professional as well. Just about killed the CEO. Had the ground not been frozen, they would have killed all on board, but that's what happens when the F/O tells you you are too high and too fast for the landing and you tell him to Shut up and put the F#cking flaps down. Watching the GLEX land on the last 2500feet of a 7000 foot strip becasue they didnt want to go around (waiting for a Connie to clear the runway). That was impressive to me as well, you know having to have the T/Rs still at full thrust 5 feet from the end of the runway was real professional. I guess the high turnover rate in the dept is a good sign as well. Last guy that ran the show there went to SWA, the one before that got canned after Esry left (pilots all hated him cause he actually DID do things like they should be done). They brought in a pro and he got run off for doing it by the book. D.D. were his initials and he is a flight department turn around specialist. That is why they brought him in. He has a very impressive resume and has had great success with failing flight departments. Those cowboys are Sprint didnt want any part of professionalism. Taking a GLEX international with a pink slip (Illegal) and a F/O that had not been to school (Out-right dangerous) really told me how well run that place is. That was with their 1st Global, not the 2nd one they bought while in the middle of masive lay-offs destroying the economy of KC. Finally, if you read my post you would know I am not interested in working for Sprint. Nextel yes, but Sprint, no. I was very specific in saying I was not interested in working at Nextel if it was just the guys from Sprint. Get your facts straight before you step to me. I've seen it with my own eyes, you have not. It's no secret in KC what kind of operation that is. You are obviously from KC. Maybe you know someone over at Sprint, I dont know and don't care. Those guys will be history soon from what it sounds like anyways. You need to get your facts straight before you spout off about things you don't know or understand. Don't talk like Sprint is some 1st class operation with high regard for the NBAA management guide or some junk like that.



thats one VERY LARGE paragraph.

painful, very very painful.
 

G4G5

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2002
Posts
1,800
Total Time
8500+
Does anyone have a link to the EGE crash?
 

HawkerF/O

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Posts
757
Total Time
4500+
PseudoName said:
You state you don't want to work for Sprint, but would enjoy a job at Nextel. How do you know that some of the Sprint guys won't be part of the Nextel flight department......maybe even part of a group that interviews future candidates for Sprint/Nextel.
We all know how mergers go, especially within flight departments. If Nextel turns out to be the dominate department, those guys at Sprint are not going to have ANYTHING to do with hiring anyone. If you think the Nextel guys are going to invite the Sprint guys into management roles in the spirit of friendship, you should think again. It does not work like that. It's kind of like the TWA and Ozark deal. In their day, Sprint bought lots of companies and they took their aircraft. That's how they got their Challenger 601-3/A (s/n 5029) and C650 N913SQ and brought in their pilots and made their lives miserable so they either quit or got fired. When they ran that Global off the runway in EGE, a former Centel (Chicago based Telecom that Sprint bought) pilot was the co-pilot. He got to keep his job (CVR was pulled and confirmed the "Shut up and put the F#cking flaps down" statement), but the PIC got canned and a meeting with the Kansas City FSDO. I'm sure the 'ol boys over at Nextel will return the favor just like AA did to TWA. Only time will tell.
 

rice

Clown Puncher
Joined
Feb 10, 2002
Posts
902
Total Time
8000+
pilotmiketx said:
More entertaining than dwarf-tossing...

Always a favorite past-time!!!!!
 

HawkerF/O

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Posts
757
Total Time
4500+
45caldevldog said:
Any openings at Nextel?

http://www.aviationemploymentboard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2820

According to the Nextel Website, they are looking for 2 pilots. Co-Pilots. The site has 2 different jobs (different job #s) with the exact same wording that was posted on 10-27. It is a Dullus, VA based position. You can apply through the site. Here is the ad:

Major Responsibilities: Serves as First Officer (Second-in-Command) of company aircraft. Assists the Pilot-in-Command in ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the aircraft. Performs duties related to the flight as directed by the PIC, such as flight planning and passenger service. Performs administrative duties as assigned by the Chief Pilot.Minimum Qualifications: (Job related skills, experience, and education): - Airline Transport Pilot license with multi-engine rating - Current FAA First Class Medical - Flight time: 2000 hours total time with 1000 hours of Pilot-in-Command and 500 hours multi-engine
 
Last edited:
Top