Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rerouted

What Dream?
I'm finding myself in an interesting situation. I've got almost 1000 hours TT, almost all of it single engine time. I work at a school that provides no time in a multi, and am paying to get it elsewhere. I now have the opportunity to teach at a much smaller school with older equipment....but....they do have a twin, and I can instruct in it. I do have students lined up to fly with me there too (working on the MEI myself right now). The problem is that I don't think I'll be as busy there as I am at my current job, and....I'm not likely to be able to stay at my current job if they find out I'm teaching somewhere else part time. To me, the answer seems simple....just bail out of the single job and never look back. Before I do that, I just want some feedback from those of you who've gone the distance already. If I can get....let's say 10/12 hours a week in at the new school..mostly in a twin, is this going to look good to the regionals later on? Compared to 20/25 hours a week in a single and 100 hours of purchased twin time? I can't see how it won't, but hey...I've been wrong before. What would you do? (PS...the multi training pays much better too....but the commute is rough).
RR

o.k the thing u've asked for depends on a couple of things. just plainly multi time is always good than single. u've already got enough single time so now is the time to get the multi time. buying multi time doesn't always looks good, its easier though. so if ur getting 12 hrs of multi time in a week instead of 20 hrs of single time. i'll go for the multi time if the money i earn at the multi place is enough for me to survive. if you have a second job thats great as well. but if the multi job doesn't gives u a security for a longer term and money wise, then u might want to think about it.
hope this helps......

Multi time

I second the above 100%. Sure, it'll look good to the regionals. I knew many people who were flight instructors who built multi and did absolutely no 135 or corporate flying and got hired. Yours truly built up multi through instructing and got interviews. You're much better off earning multi and being paid than paying for it yourself.

Do the multiplication. Assuming you get the 10-12 hours a week (some weeks will be more, some will be less, of course) and you do it for half a year (26 weeks), you could easily build up close to 300 hours of multi (10 x 26 = 260).

Don't forget, depending on your situation, you can instruct instruments in the multi and have opportunites to build actual.

I'd do it if I were you, as long as it'll earn enough money for you to eat and pay your bills. I've been out of the game for a few years, but I'd bet that $25-$45 an hour is now a fair rate for multiengine instruction.

I'll throw my $.02 in.

After I got my CFI I went to work for a flight school/135 operation. I was instructing & after a couple months got my VFR 135 check ride. Between the two I was getting 85-100 hrs a month. Then the operation was sold. Shortly there after the twin and possibility for IFR-Multi 135 went poof. I was able to get another job flying pipeline where in two weeks I would make as much as the new CFI's would all month. The only problem is that it's all single engine VFR. Now I have over 2300/80. To make things worse there is only one twin available for rent within 200 miles.

I've been looking at places trying to find another job & without the multi it's pretty hard. People I've talked to especially want the time instructing. So I'm looking at partering in a twin to do some instructing. Maybe I'll manage to break even cost wise & make myself more atractive when hiring picks up again.

So like iplot & Bobby I would go for the multi. If you think you could keep both jobs try that. Maybe go to your current boss & say if I go instruct multi at this other place I could get the exposure/experience where we could get a twin here at a later date. If not, go. Just make sure you can live on what you'll make & try not to burn any bridges.

Good luck & keep the shiny side up!

You should always strive to get the heaviest and dirtiest time you can. Heavy means larger planes with more engines, and dirty means IFR, snow, rain, night, and, well, you get the picture. I left a nice FBO type job to work at one of those huge nationwide multi training places, and after a few short months, got a job flying a large turboprop. The only way to get a flying job is to have one, and the only way to move up is to move up. I didn't make much money as a CFI, but it had to be done. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Go for the money and the total time. Total time is everything. The only people who care about "multi" time are the minimum wage paying commuters. after them, noone will ever ask you again... If working for a commuter is your dream job getting that 100 hours wont be difficult. I'd stick with your better paying and time building job in these times. dont go hoping around laterally. next year your chance of getting that 100 hours in a single month should be better...

good luck to you in whatever you decide.

I'd wait until you get closer to 1200 hours. With over 200 still to go you might hold out at your current job for an extra month or two.

Rerouted said:
I'm not likely to be able to stay at my current job if they find out I'm teaching somewhere else part time.

Have you approached them about this or is this just a gut feeling?I instructed at a school that didn't have a twin and got a second job with a school that did. I was up front with my employer and they understood I needed the time and were cool with it. It's not like you're taking business away from them since they don't offer a similar product (as long as you don't take your SE students over to this other school).

Hey FlyingSig..good point. Given their past hire/fire history, I've just made an assumption, but I'm heading in to talk to them today. The idea of doing both - and not dipping into their student pool - without doubt is the most desireable sounding direction to take. I appreciate the feedback all of you provided. Thanks!
RR

Thank God I don't work for one of those minimum wage paying commuters. Who are those guys anyway? Are there really any of them left?

Latest resources

Back