Newhire CAL Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hawk996 said:
I was not looking for a fight boys, a valid question. I had a choice to make and had to look at the big picture. Sure year two, three, four etc etc might be better down the road, but the first year would at CAL would not work for me. All that I was asking is how are you making it work. I had no Idea that your tighty whitey's were in such a bunch. Relax ace, It was nothing to do about the W2, it called working to pay the bills that where covered at the old job before they closed and finding a new job to pay said bills. Why take on a new bill with Health Ins when you don't have to????

I have a job and like where I'm at, it was only a question, and I guess you don't want to answer it. That's fine with me, move on......

Even more, I really wonder if YOU had an opportunity to turn down. I never lived OVER my means. I didn't need everything, and to be the cocky arrogant pilot, that the neighborhood cringes at. Good Luck

jeez, guys. simmer down now.

it's unfortunate that there is a 6 month probation for medical benefits at CAL. i feel it distracts people from a company that is really a good place to be. i hope things change in the future so that it doesn't put strong job candidates in a tough spot. hopefully the hiring demands will force a change.

bearcat said:
It is funny to watch the generations change. Everybody is all about the W-2 and not wanting to pay their dues anymore. Yeah 1st year pay sucks hard...really hard. I think most people make their decision to WANT to work for an airline b/c of the W-2. It just blows my mind that people could turn down a major airline gig at a time when there are thousands of furloughs and this job is more competitive than ever. I would make my decision based on location and stability. Pretty much in that order. I'm in the GUARD and that is how I survive. Oh, and I knew the pay cut was coming (sts) so we were financially prepared to take the pay cut.

Good luck.

Oh man.... not paying dues. If you don't think civilian guys pay their dues your A-10 Helmet must be on too tight. We don't get the Mil leave option, pay, pension or the rest of it. But from the tone of your post, you think you're a notch above everyone else, so I doubt you pay attention to what's going on around you anyway. I seriously doubt there are too many people actually being offered a job at a major and turning it down because of first year pay. All hail the great and wise Bearcat.

hawk996,

I'm a relatively new CAL FO. First of all, I understand that I am paying my dues, but they're pretty damn expensive dues. I'm pulling down a whopping $2200/month and waiting for health insurance. I'm not complaining, I wanted this job, just stating a fact that it is a harsh pay cut. Fortunately, I had some money in the bank before I started. Regarding health insurance, I picked up a high deductable policy ($1,000) for my family at a cost of about $200/month. My kids are also covered 100% with zero deductable through state run medicaid. "Good morning ladies and gentlemen, this is your first officer. Thanks for flying with us today . . . . . oh, and thanks for paying your taxes, my family's health depends on it."

Once I do have health insurance, the rates are very reasonable and there are several options.

With regards to someone's comments of "paying your dues," that's complete bs. Who am I paying dues to? To CAL shareholders? Why do I owe them dues? I am performing a specialized, highly skilled job. Am I not a required crewmember? I have already paid dues several times over at the regional and CFI levels. Should CAL go under in a few years, do I get my dues back? It's exactly that mindset of "paying your dues" that explains why some CFI's fly for free, why regionals pay so low, and why any time you take a job at a major (other than SWA and JetBlue) you will pay dearly.

By the way, the flying a CAL is great and I really enjoy the job. I would recommend coming over here, just be sure to have some money in the bank and have a plan for covering your family.

-minrest

hawk996 said:
Not Flame Bait, just a question???

What are you guys doing for the first year with Health Ins? I had to turn CAL down and head somewhere else. I looked hard for cheap Ins. but the pay at CAL the first year, 6 months of me funding the INS, 3 Kids, 1 crazy Wife, House, Car, and food it just didn't work....

What are you guys doing for the first year?

Thanks

What are you in hock up to your ass? I have 3 kids (2 in diapers) 1 awesome wife, a house, a car, and food and it works out fine. I think you really are doing this for flame bait.

Oh well your myopic loss is someone else's gain...unless you in your late 40's or 50's I could understand...but 30's...no excuse...

Yeah and you are paying your dues again...just like every major hurdle in life

Thanks Minrest,

As for you Jonny, Yes I did...(why are you so angry???) I never lived out of my means either. But if you read minrest's post $2200 a month does not buy much. I had a choice to make and I made it. Was it the right choice, No, I should have taken that truck driving job back in 1991 when I had the chance.

Good Luck to you.....

Hey Foo,
Nice reply...No Flame bait just a simply question that you are trying to turn into something bigger. How can you live on $2200 a month? I could not and had to move on to the next job, why can't you understand that???? What does paying dues have to do with asking a question? You guys need to calm down.

If your this angry on a message board, you must be one heck of a nice guy to sit next to!!!!!!

If you already moved on, why the heck do you care how guys at CAL or any major are "making" it...like I said Flame Bait

You said it yourself, you moved on to your next job, why are you lurking in a CAL Newhire thread?

Plus your crying to the wrong crowd...we've all had a sh itty deck of cards handed to us...the fact that you'd turn down a major with a proven Legacy history in taday's market is laughable...crap there I go responding to the bait again...

Last edited:
FWIW, the $2277/mo is for 76hr reserve. Odd are you will make more than that because either you will be on reserve for only a couple of months (on the 737) or will be flying a lot anyway (737 and 756). Once you hold a line, you will make more than the min unless you are just not coming to work.

I was hired in Oct last year and totaling up what I've made since I've been here and averaging it out, it's worked out to $3100/mo before taxes (and including per diem).

Still sucks, but it's somewhat better than what I was expecting ($2277/mo) when I took the job.

YMMV....

First year pay at any airline isn't "paying your dues". It's the senior guys writting a contract and then not caring about the newhires.

I took the job at CAL knowing the first year pay would suck. This is my second time at first year pay. I don't blame the management, I blame the union for get this low pay. That is the ALPA standard. When I was hired at TWA in 1996 my first year pay was the same as it is at Cal in 2006. I know 9-11 and pay cuts, I understand that. It's the whole "paying dues" part that is BS. I payed dues, mil guys payed dues and certainly the commuter guys payed bigtime dues.

If ALPA really cared they would get a airline standard among all ALPA carriers and make a standard first year pay and also eliminate one year probation. One year is a crock, telling a RJ captain or C-130/F-15 pilot, that he needs to be "watched" for a year is an insult. Again an industry wide ALPA standard would solve that.

Just me venting. Only two more months till second year pay.

CLAMBAKE

Latest resources

Back