• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Newhire CAL Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was hired in Oct 05 and a few of our 756 guys were back in Houston by Jan 06. That was then and thing could have changed since. Both the 737 and the 756 guys in our class could get back to IAH by January. 737 sat reserve in lovely EWR for 2 months, 757 EWR for about 5 months. 737 IAH reserve was 3 months and 757 IAH are still on reserve.

CLAMBAKE

We have an upcoming system bid that will run mid August and should determine where new hire pilots will end up this fall into next year. The bid encompasses the flying through August 07 and takes into account 2 777's deliveries in the first quarter and 6 737-800's deliveries throughout 07 well as the 6 737-800's we are getting between now and the end of 06. In the past there have been vaccancies on equipment other than 737 but they are mostly for the EWR 756. As for vacancies in IAH on the 756, I would imagine that there will be some, but as in the past, you will probably see them filled with pilots currently on the senority list and not newhires, but as always, this often does and can change. The easiest way to get to IAH is on the 737. I will try to post the numbers on the bid and base vaccancies when available.

The most junior IAH 756 pilot was hired around October. I think there are many EWR pilots waiting to get IAH. I tried to get IAH 756 in January but could not hold it. (I was hired in December) IAH 737 is much easier to get. My whole class was assigned to EWR but all the 737 pilots who wanted IAH had the transfer within 8 weeks.

With that said, when hiring picks up after the summer, transfers will probably happen more quickly.

Thanks for all of your insight. I would enjoy the 756 out of ewr for a few months, but being home and not commuting would be even better. If you are IAH based can you pick up EWR trips in open time to get some of the international flying?

Unfourtunely there will not be much in the way of open time once PBS goes live, at least as it stands now. There will always be sick calls but as for several hundred pairings availbale to choose from, that will be a thing of the past. You can pick up out-of-base 12 prior to departure but only if you are a lineholder. The more convenient thing to do is try to convince crew scheduling that they would be better of if you sat reserve in IAH vs EWR. It has worked for some in the past, but who knows what reserve will be like once PBS goes live.

Not Flame Bait, just a question???

What are you guys doing for the first year with Health Ins? I had to turn CAL down and head somewhere else. I looked hard for cheap Ins. but the pay at CAL the first year, 6 months of me funding the INS, 3 Kids, 1 crazy Wife, House, Car, and food it just didn't work....

What are you guys doing for the first year?

Thanks

hawk996 said:
Not Flame Bait, just a question???

What are you guys doing for the first year with Health Ins? I had to turn CAL down and head somewhere else. I looked hard for cheap Ins. but the pay at CAL the first year, 6 months of me funding the INS, 3 Kids, 1 crazy Wife, House, Car, and food it just didn't work....

What are you guys doing for the first year?

Thanks

It is funny to watch the generations change. Everybody is all about the W-2 and not wanting to pay their dues anymore. Yeah 1st year pay sucks hard...really hard. I think most people make their decision to WANT to work for an airline b/c of the W-2. It just blows my mind that people could turn down a major airline gig at a time when there are thousands of furloughs and this job is more competitive than ever. I would make my decision based on location and stability. Pretty much in that order. I'm in the GUARD and that is how I survive. Oh, and I knew the pay cut was coming (sts) so we were financially prepared to take the pay cut.

Good luck.

I was not looking for a fight boys, a valid question. I had a choice to make and had to look at the big picture. Sure year two, three, four etc etc might be better down the road, but the first year would at CAL would not work for me. All that I was asking is how are you making it work. I had no Idea that your tighty whitey's were in such a bunch. Relax ace, It was nothing to do about the W2, it called working to pay the bills that where covered at the old job before they closed and finding a new job to pay said bills. Why take on a new bill with Health Ins when you don't have to????

I have a job and like where I'm at, it was only a question, and I guess you don't want to answer it. That's fine with me, move on......

Latest resources

Back