• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New York Times Article "For Pilots, Dreams Run Into Reality "

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow....the girl's story sounds just like mine.Went to work for GP Express in 1993...making $13,500 a year(after paying $7000 for my training) flying a Beech 99.....qualified for food stamps. Lived in an apartment with 5 other slugs doing the same thing. Some of our lines had 8 legs a day.Scheduled 14 hr. days...All my buddies thought I was insane....sound familiar??

Wow....the girl's story sounds just like mine.Went to work for GP Express in 1993...making $13,500 a year(after paying $7000 for my training) flying a Beech 99.....qualified for food stamps. Lived in an apartment with 5 other slugs doing the same thing. Some of our lines had 8 legs a day.Scheduled 14 hr. days...All my buddies thought I was insane....sound familiar??
Does it ever. Except, when I flew the B99 and did that, there was still the likely prospect of ending up on in the left seat of the widebodies. While that still exists, there is a LOT bigger odds against it, as pilots have to roll the dice with these so-called "Low Cost Carriers" and regional airlines such that they may never reach the only segment of the industry that pays a professional-level salary.

Does it ever. Except, when I flew the B99 and did that, there was still the likely prospect of ending up on in the left seat of the widebodies. While that still exists, there is a LOT bigger odds against it, as pilots have to roll the dice with these so-called "Low Cost Carriers" and regional airlines such that they may never reach the only segment of the industry that pays a professional-level salary.
I know what you mean. SWA needs to pay its pilots more.

You sound as if you are being facetious. I certainly hope not, as southworst's pay is atrocious!! For example in 1998 an NWA Cpt on similar equip was earning about $175 an hour. Using the CPI calculator that same rate today would need to be $230 to have the same earning power. In 1999 CAL Cpt. on similar equip was $160, today that is 207. In 1997 AA was 165 today that is 221. It's the lambs like you that continue to accept what management offers and little by litte they whittle away our earning power to the bone.

Now don't even get me comparing 1978 pay rates and what they would need to be today. I'll just say it is staggering! But I see no reason we should not have the same earning power that our profession had 10 years ago.

I know what you mean. SWA needs to pay its pilots more.

You want to get the pay that our profession deserves, let's have a national strike. I know it will never happen, but if it did, you'd see a change in the industry for the better. What we invest in our training and career progression is equal to a doctorate degree. We should be paid as such. But, pilots are always willing to under cut another pilot, and nothing will change until we hold ourselves to higher standard.

You want to get the pay that our profession deserves, let's have a national strike.

I'm with you!! When do we walk off the job? How about 1 full week? Oh I'm sorry, these are pilots we are talking about. Less than 10% have the balls to do this. Most seem inherently pu**ies. As evidenced by the substandard contracts they have approved the last 5 years.

Latest resources

Back