• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New rest rules and commuting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you guys really want the government to have to TELL you how to plan your commutes? Do you think the goverment should tell you how to commute?

Seriously, if you can't commute and get enough rest to be safe, don't commute. If you are too tired to fly, don't fly. Commute in early. Move to your base. Move to a place that would make an easier commute.

I commute, and the last thing on my mind is how to BLAME the government for not imposing commuter rules if I ball one up.

And you know what, commuting to work and not being fit to fly, yet still flying is unprofessional.
Define commuting.

Is it driving 3 hours from SAN to LAX for a late afternoon show?

What about PSP to LAX or FAT to SFO?

Is it time of just air travel?

Define commuting.

Is it driving 3 hours from SAN to LAX for a late afternoon show?

What about PSP to LAX or FAT to SFO?

Is it time of just air travel?
FIIK, That's why I want to keep the government out of it and leave it up to us to report fit to fly.

exactly. because commuting and sleeping in airport crew rooms were not factors in 3407. Commuting in to a 14 hour duty day will still be legal until someone who kills more people says directly to the cvr that they had to commute due to airline instability and they got maybe 2 hours sleep the night before. The feds are going to take the easy way out instead by reminding us all to be 'professionals', that way when it happens again the blame can easily be placed on lack of professionalism instead of blaming the feds who failed to create any rules to protect the public.

So, should the public be protected from guys who get up at 2 am after going to be at who knows when and then DRIVE 3 hours or more to their early a.m. check in? This happens - every day.

We don't need fed involvement in reporting for work.

And what about guys who live local and do have a short drive to work. Say they have an afternoon report time. Should the feds regulate their day at home so they are properly rested before their airline duty day that might go until midnight or later? No fishing, hunting, farming, golf, changing diapers, nooners, etc. on same day preceding airline trip, right?

Impossible cause you advocate

I've been saying it since this all went down. You do not want Washington legislating our productivity and you DEFINATELY don't want them weighing in on our commutes. Wake up....Washington has miles of problems, I'd prefer we police ourselves rather than leave it up to a committee of suits that dont understand our profession/QOL.

Should the feds regulate their day at home so they are properly rested before their airline duty day that might go until midnight or later? No fishing, hunting, farming, golf, changing diapers, nooners, etc. on same day preceding airline trip, right?

Impossible cause you advocate

Drop the golf and fishing, limit the diapers I'm ok with it.

The thing that everyone is missing here is that, because of the antiquated RLA, combined with the post-9/11 gutting of our industry, pilots are being stretched too thin in all regards.

If you're making $200K and have 17 days off, commuting in the night before and plunking down $100. for dinner and a hotel 3 or 4 times a month is a non-event. If you're a 45 year-old father of three teenagers who is now making $60K again for the third time, with only 12 days off each month, well, not so much.

I'm sure there'll be some naive, mindless jackass responding to this post, parroting management pablum and telling me that "You knew that when you signed up" or "No one's shooting at you, and you get to sleep in a real bed each night", so let me sign off by responding in advance:

Whenmost of us "signed up" this was still a "career", not a "job". When you jackasses wake up and are willing to fight for this to be a "career" again, then we'll have plenty to talk about. Until then, keep it to yourself.

Ty

Last edited:
I live fifteen minutes from the airport but I went to see pink floyd last night and it was a 3 hour drive home. Am I responsible for the fact that I may have inhaled second hand pcp? I went to bed at 2:00 and have a report at 8:30. Get out of my life already.

Flock off.

the thing that everyone is missing here is that, because of the antiquated rla, combined with the post-9/11 gutting of our industry, pilots are being stretched too thin in all regards.

If you're making $200k and have 17 days off, commuting in the night before and plunking down $100. For dinner and a hotel 3 or 4 times a month is a non-event. If you're a 45 year-old father of three teenagers who is now making $60k again for the third time, with only 12 days off each month, well, not so much.

I'm sure there'll be some naive, mindless jackass responding to this post, parroting management pablum and telling me that "you knew that when you signed up" or "no one's shooting at you, and you get to sleep in a real bed each night", so let me sign off by responding in advance:

Whenmost of us "signed up" this was still a "career", not a "job". When you jackasses wake up and are willing to fight for this to be a "career" again, then we'll have plenty to talk about. Until then, keep it to yourself.

Ty

word.

Latest resources

Back