New rest rules and commuting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Azul

Does anybody know if these new rest rules have anything to say with commuting. Ie your commute time is also added to you duty day. I have heard that the nprm will mirror the european rules. Do they have any rules regarding commuting? Thanks

Hi!

The new rules will say nothing about commuting.

cliff
NBO

Hi!

The new rules will say nothing about commuting.

cliff
NBO

exactly. because commuting and sleeping in airport crew rooms were not factors in 3407. Commuting in to a 14 hour duty day will still be legal until someone who kills more people says directly to the cvr that they had to commute due to airline instability and they got maybe 2 hours sleep the night before. The feds are going to take the easy way out instead by reminding us all to be 'professionals', that way when it happens again the blame can easily be placed on lack of professionalism instead of blaming the feds who failed to create any rules to protect the public.

It is not in there because ALPA does not want it (because some pilots commute) and the company does not want to police it. Any rule change that does not take commuting time into account does not address the main problem and does not make the skies any safer IMO. Just more bureaucratic lip service.....

It was in the subcommittee bill, but I do not see a commuting rule come out of in this bill. It would be too large of a cost for companies to swallow.

It is not in there because ALPA does not want it (because some pilots commute) and the company does not want to police it. Any rule change that does not take commuting time into account does not address the main problem and does not make the skies any safer IMO. Just more bureaucratic lip service.....

So is driving from Lake Tahoe to SFO is more restful than commuting from LAX to JFK?

If you are based in SFO where would YOU put the limit for driving to work SMF? CIC?

Do you guys really want the government to have to TELL you how to plan your commutes? Do you think the goverment should tell you how to commute?

Seriously, if you can't commute and get enough rest to be safe, don't commute. If you are too tired to fly, don't fly. Commute in early. Move to your base. Move to a place that would make an easier commute.

I commute, and the last thing on my mind is how to BLAME the government for not imposing commuter rules if I ball one up.

And you know what, commuting to work and not being fit to fly, yet still flying is unprofessional.

Last edited:
Do you guys really want the government to have to TELL you how to plan your commutes? Do you think the goverment should tell you how to commute?

Seriously, if you can't commute and get enough rest to be safe, don't commute. If you are too tired to fly, don't fly. Commute in early. Move to your base. Move to a place that would make an easier commute.

I commute, and the last thing on my mind is how to BLAME the government for not imposing commuter rules if I ball one up.

And you know what, commuting to work and not being fit to fly, yet still flying is unprofessional.

Can everyone afford to move to a new base every year or two when the company closes it on a whim?

Commuting would be great if the company would positive space me on a flight to/from work. Problem solved!

No I don't. You are absolutely right. Is commuting in the day of a trip any worse than getting a bad night of sleep? Do we really want the "sleep police"? We have the "thought police" already since we can't profile.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back