• Start date
  • Watchers 23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you must fly go ahead. Personally, I don't recommend it as a profession, but to each his own. The main thing that I would like to convey to you is this: Get a degree in something other than aviation. If the bottom ever falls out, which it has done on me three times, then you have an out. A good pilot always has an out, just in case things don't progess as planned. Don't forget to do this in your professional life. Good Luck to you.

Personally, I don't recommend it as a profession
I disagree, but it can be a tough profession.

Somtimes it seems luck, or whatever you want to call it, has more to do with getting a great job than anything else.

The best advice I can give you is to Network, Network, Network and Network. Get to know as many pilots/people inside this industry as possible and stay in touch.

Keep your positive outlook (it can be tough sometimes) and your joy of flying, it will take you places.

Get that degree (it WILL make more employable) and keep and open mind. This industry changes FAST. The jobs that were well paid and sought after just five years ago are now threatend by bankrupcy.

Most importantly, make sure that what you do is fun. Some people are can't deal with freight at night and others can't stand dealing with passengers and the TSA.

College is so much fun I dont know why anyone would want to miss out on it. There are tons of universities that have aviation programs and the like. I got my CFI in the first 2 years of college and am flight instructing until I graduate. 4 years from high school to a "real" flying job is not that long. I'll have my degree, know I had a good time, met many ladies and will get a job in time to build some decent seniority. I say this buzzing and just getting home from one kick azz party, college is great....why rush out into the real world so soon out of high school???

Goose Egg said:
Words of advice:

3. Don't be in a hurry........

I'll third that advice. To be more specific and provide a little more insight, the most common point of "impatience" usually arrives between the time you receive your commercial license and the time you've worked as an instructor for a little while. Most people feel that "I'm qualified; it's time to move on!" You'll find that, when you are more experienced and are able to look back on this period, that you weren't as "capable" as you assumed yourself to be.

You'll hit many "plateaus" during training and progression through the ranks. Take your time and make the best of your surroundings.

On that same subject; "make the best of your surroundings", don't waste time. I've heard it too many times, "I can't do anything because I'm all out of money!"

To be blunt, if your "out of money", that only means you can't go down to the airport and fly an airplane and that's all. It doesn't stop you from studying textbooks, charts and approach plates or practicing approaches on your PC. During this downtime you can still hang out at the airport and look for work or just talk to people to learn more or make contacts.

It's funny that you mention North Perry. I used to hang out there at the northwest T-hangars and help the old guys work on their experimental airplanes. On occasion I would score a free ride and at the very least, learn something new about airplanes.

As far as the college degree, I would highly recommend it. You need to have a backup plan that is not connected to the aviation profession. I can tell you many stories of guys that were making $150,000/yr one day and looking for a new job the next. The aviation profession can be a roller coaster ride, to say the least!

Good Luck

One word: Military

I am not a recruiter, nor a professional pilot. But seeing all the out of work pilots I would not plan on flying as a career. Especially starting out with only civilian hours. I know former military pilots with close to 8000 hrs, former airline pilots, who cannot find a pilot job. I would recommend checking out any of the services, let them pay for your training and hours.

Good luck...

Lots of jobs

Funny all of our pilots looking for a job can find one. 9 pilots in two months have found other jobs, Kalitta, Atlas, ATI, AirWisc, Champion, Flex Jets, to name a few. I know other pilots have turned down jobs waiting for other jobs. Looks like the 2007 hiring boom is on track.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and sorry it took a while to respond.

There seems to be a lot of opinions on how to do this. I have my heart set on a flight academy. Two of my top picks right now are: Delta Airlines Academy and Flight Safety. Does anyone have any experiences with these places? Or any other suggestions?

dream2fly2007 said:
I have my heart set on a flight academy. Two of my top picks right now are: Delta Airlines Academy and Flight Safety. Does anyone have any experiences with these places? Or any other suggestions?

so you have your heart set on spending 2-3x the amount it would cost for the same or better quality training at a local FBO.. not to mention your living expenses that you might not have if you could live at home??

DCA has nice flashy ads, hoping to draw in people like yourself.. this board is full of experience pilots who will tell you that you're wasting your money. Do board seaches on DCA.. there have been people who have spent $80-$100k at that place, only not to be "hired" by DCA... Good God!! But go tour DCA and see their "multi-million dollar facility" and then tell us what you think.

Dont go into this with your "heart" use your head.

Nothing wrong with going pt 61 though, and paying as you go. You will probably actually have fun sometimes, as opposed to being in a regimented program, and you can pay as you go, compared to some of these "academies" or schools where you pay everything up front.

If you are dead set on going to an academy, then at least get your private first at a local operation, so you arent laying out a huge sum of money first, without knowing whether it will be for you, since a lot of these places absolutely do not like to give refunds.

Investigate if there is a way to do all locally still. It can save you a ton of money, since you can still work, and not have to pick up and move somewhere else.

These flight academies will tell you all kinds of things to get you to come over and hand over a buttload of cash. Take anything they say with the proverbial grain of salt.

MANY students have gotten burned financially by doing the large flashy academy route, by unscrupulous operators or places that went bust. Look at the airman flight school story, or TAB express, and see what can happen.

Latest resources

Back