• Watchers 23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
414Flyer said:
These flight academies will tell you all kinds of things to get you to come over and hand over a buttload of cash. Take anything they say with the proverbial grain of salt.

keep in mind, these people are SALES people.. they make their money by getting you to sign up.. they WILL tell you/guarantee you anything they think you want to hear.... ever bought a car?

mayday1 said:
keep in mind, these people are SALES people.. they make their money by getting you to sign up.. they WILL tell you/guarantee you anything they think you want to hear.... ever bought a car?
It's not a crime, the schools give exactly what they promise...ratings and an interview.

FN FAL said:
It's not a crime, the schools give exactly what they promise...ratings and an interview.

ah, but to get that interview... they'll quickly gloss over all that fine print that deals with employment contracts, CFI hiring numbers, average cost (which everyone exceeds), etc. I visited DCA way back when... things might have changed, but they're really just interested in your money.

Get your medical before making any long term plans - you never know when a medical issue you were never aware of might come up in your evaluation and either delay, or perhaps prohibit your dream. My medical circumstances took so long to take care of that I went to college, then to grad school, and fell into a different career. I recently decided to pursue the dream again, and surprise, another medical issue (one that shouldn't be an issue at all). I agree with the college advice too, though. As much as I would have loved to have been flying commercially at 20, you can't replace your college memories. Best time of my life.

mayday1 said:
ah, but to get that interview... they'll quickly gloss over all that fine print that deals with employment contracts, CFI hiring numbers, average cost (which everyone exceeds), etc. I visited DCA way back when... things might have changed, but they're really just interested in your money.
Yea, I tured that DCA way back when as well...got the free flight there and back. What a bunch of snake oil salesmen.

I wound up going to a place that was much cheaper. The pvt-mei program was 24,999.00 with apartment. The deal was, 19,999.00 up front and the other 5,000 due in interest free payments after graduation and three interviews...the interviews were found by the "placement" director.

In other words, if they didn't find you three interviews, you got to keep your 5,000.00 bucks. They laid off their placement director and gave me no interview referalls, so when they sent the letter asking for that 5K I just tore it up. I call it a bridge program in reverse.

Defenetely get a degree not related to aviation. I have my BS in Aviation technology and it was too late to turn back before I realized what a generally worthless degree it is. Get a practical degree in something that interests you but get those ratings on the side. I love flying and regardless of what others say I have nothing to lose by being a pro pilot right now in my life. It pays the bills and its better than anyone else's job I know. Granted Im single with no debt someday that will change and I worry everyday about what Im gonna do once the bottom falls out later in my career. Im still looking for a backup plan. Good luck to you.

I did all of my training part 61. I highly recommend that route if you can afford it, but its harder to get a loan part 61. I work as a line guy, and I think it was the smartest thing i ever did. I have networked with pilots of different companies, got to go on rides with them. I eventually started flying with them as a contract pilot, and thats what I'm doing now. I'm going to a Community College to get my gen-ed reqs out of the way, all the while working at the port. I have flown so many interesting aircraft that I wouldn't have gotten to had i left for another school.

The problem with DCA is that they do not guarantee a job interview. The devil is in the details. If 98% of people were really getting "great" jobs then you would not hear people on these boards who are so against the program. Also know that if you are not chosen by them to continue their program after the initail 30-40K spent on your initial ratings you will not be guaranteed an interview.

Oh yeah the most important part. GET A COLLEGE DEGREE!!!
It is of no importance how you get it, online or otherwise... just get one

Phoenix45 said:
One word: Military

I am not a recruiter, nor a professional pilot. But seeing all the out of work pilots I would not plan on flying as a career. Especially starting out with only civilian hours. I know former military pilots with close to 8000 hrs, former airline pilots, who cannot find a pilot job. I would recommend checking out any of the services, let them pay for your training and hours.

Good luck...

I agree here to a point. Get your ratings, get your time up, and try to get a 121 job and some expierence. While you are still young, try to secure a reserve/gaurd slot. You take your time off (and continue to build senority, one hell of an important thing), get military trained and hopefully flying heavies or tactical jets. Before long you will probably get to aicraft commander and/or rj capatin. This combination of experience is highly marketable.

You could also do the reverse order, go gaurd/reserve and then get a 121 job but you can loose on the senority, which might matter down the raod if the crap hits the fan in the civilan market.

Both roads give you excellent experience and well as incredible networking oppurtunities for a job later down the road at a major.

Just my 2 cents, after a displacement and a furlough, it's now more like .05 cents.

Latest resources

Back