• Watchers 23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No trouble finding jobs

Our pilots don't seem to be having any problems finding jobs. In the last month they have gone to Gemni, Atlas, Kalitta, Flex Jets, Air Wisc., Champion, and ATI. Mostly DA-20 pilots, many without type ratings in the DA-20. Must be the start of the 2007 hiring boom.

Last edited:
dream2fly2007 said:
Thanks for all the replies and sorry it took a while to respond.

There seems to be a lot of opinions on how to do this. I have my heart set on a flight academy. Two of my top picks right now are: Delta Airlines Academy and Flight Safety. Does anyone have any experiences with these places? Or any other suggestions?

Flight Safety is pretty good got my ratings there. You pay extra if you dont study. They give you an honest shot. Best to have college compleated. If you dont have the study skills you wont make it. Its not a pilot mill so you cant sit in front of the playstation all day.

pilotyip said:
Funny all of our pilots looking for a job can find one. 9 pilots in two months have found other jobs, Kalitta, Atlas, ATI, AirWisc, Champion, Flex Jets, to name a few. I know other pilots have turned down jobs waiting for other jobs. Looks like the 2007 hiring boom is on track.

What's your advice? Don't go to JUS? Sounds like all semi-quasilateral moves to me. Seems the "mass exodus" has begun.

For all that is good and holy, GET A FOUR YEAR COLLEGE DEGREE. It is the time of your life. If you can get your ratings at the same time, all the better. I second the motion of a nice big state school with an aviation program. The best of both worlds. Save your parents money & stay away from Riddle if you want any respect.

Vortex, 12 pilots have left so far this year, just so happens 8 in the last month, one of which was a DAL recall and one other a US Army active duty recall. A mass exodus maybe, maybe not, a little turnover is a good thing, it lets the guys who are looking to move up a chance to move into those open seats. They came to USA Jet to get jet time and move on to a job that they think is better suited to them. We have no training contract, so they are free to move. We wish them well and tell them if things do not work out give us a call, they were all good pilots and will be missed. It may be a little presumptuous of you to call a new job that a pilot is looking forward to a" semi-quasilateral move". There is no shortage of jobs for qualified pilots today.

pilotyip said:
If you want to be a pilot skip college and start flying airplanes, you will be logging TJ PIC long before the guy who goes to college and be in the front of the line when looking for a career job. Do college degree on the side if a degree is really important to you, you can fly full time and do college on the side. You can not build meaningful flight time while going to college full time. 10 yrs after your first 135/121 job you will be making close to $100K/yr

What if he losted his med? Then what? Get a degree

MVSW, if the pilot has been out of college 15 yrs his degree is nearly useless in getting a job in his field of study. I know I have been there. The value of an unused degree is over rated. At that point you are an aviation guy and there are jobs in avaition outside of the cockpit. I nothing against college, but it has nothing to do with being a good pilot. I have seen too many pilot end up with great jobs without having a four yr degeee. Just my point of view.

pilotyip wrote ...........
If you want to be a pilot skip college and start flying airplanes, ........ You can not build meaningful flight time while going to college full time.

Not necessarily true. When you are young, you can often "do it all"; I did. I got my commercial/multi at 18 years old, and instructed and flew Part 135 while going to college full time. Even had spare time to chase women. When I graduated (in 3.5 years, with a "four year" BS degree in engineering) I was 21 years old, had 3000 TT and 1000 hrs of multi, and all but about 50 hrs of that multi was 135 PIC (ok, so it was only Beech 18's and Chieftains, not TP or TJ, but still.... I was young). Point is, if you are young, and motivated, and industrious, you can do it all.

Why go somewhere for a guaranteed interview? It isnt like the regionals arent hiring anyways....find yourself an interview and save a few grand.

Latest resources

Back