• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Orleans... very sad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My wife asked me this morning why I was watching so much of the coverage provided of hurricane Katrina. For me, it is hard to not look at what is one of the world’s greatest human tragedies. This one did not happen in some remote part of the country, it happened at our back door and it happened from a storm at one point headed right at Coral Springs.

I remember that Thursday night, a storm approaching and hearing that this innocuous tropical system would be in Coral Springs in the morning. It seemed like only moments later that the next morning time frame changed to “in a few hours”. It had not slowed and would be here shortly. Just as quickly, it turned and headed to Hollywood and then later across towards the airport I am at all day. Once again it changed direction and headed towards my friends in South Dade.

The day late after the storm had moved on through New Orleans, I had the feeling from the initial reports or lack thereof that we may have had another Andrew. With reports from the Biloxi area and then of water rising in New Orleans from a levi break, the nausea in my stomach rose. Since then, the story of human misery has continued to rise. While there may be a constant debate over separation of church and state, leader after leader prayed to God for mercy. It was amazing how that demand for separation was long forgotten when faced with God sized storms. Never had I seen leader after leader, reporter after reporter with voices cracking reflecting what they were seeing and fear of what lie ahead.

The story of a ten year old boy wandering around a relief center looking for a recognizable face hit hard on my heart. It could have been my son. I heard some people say that these people should have known better and left. Well, I think I am pretty intelligent and I stayed here during Andrew with no real personal knowledge of how it could be. Some condemn the ones who stayed for poor choice but did the children there really have a choice. Did the seniors in ill health have that much of choice as everyone became self concerned. Should we not care because they are poor and black? Could we possible imagine how we would react in that same situation. Compassion is putting ourselves in the position of others. It is feeling the pain of others. The thing we do not get is that compassion is a two way street. It often benefits us as much as others. It means we are human and looking at others as God looks at us.

The week before the storm, my concern and energy had been drained over my son being cut from a travel baseball team over petty differences with me not my son. The lack of compassion by those involved, the smallness of character, the lack of care for this child by those who I had trusted to guide him had hurt me to the quick. It took Katrina to bring back my perspective and appreciation of the human spirit and struggle.

My wife was wrong on this one. To me, everyone should be forced to watch every painful moment of coverage to remind them of their vulnerability. To see how precious life is, how valuable a bottle of water, a piece of food, the compassion of strangers. It will reorder our priorities and make us view that parking spot we fight for, that travel baseball team, that new trend, in a new light that shines from Louisiana.

I'm trying to rally and transport some volunteer doctors out of Dallas to MSY tomorrow. Aircraft will be C560 on a IFR Part 91 flight. Called FAA at 800-333-4286 and Deritter FSS and got referred to FEMA. That was a no answer. (I'm sure they are swamped) Does anybody have any suggestions on who to call to get some Doctors delivered to MSY pronto?

Publishers said:
My wife was wrong on this one. To me, everyone should be forced to watch every painful moment of coverage to remind them of their vulnerability. To see how precious life is, how valuable a bottle of water, a piece of food, the compassion of strangers....
You wouldn't believe how many people are in denial over this. It's freaking insane.

I asked the lady at the convenience store what the weather was going to be for their holiday weekend, she replied, "I don't know, since the hurricane I don't read or watch the news!"

robert garland said:
I'm trying to rally and transport some volunteer doctors out of Dallas to MSY tomorrow. Aircraft will be C560 on a IFR Part 91 flight. Called FAA at 800-333-4286 and Deritter FSS and got referred to FEMA. That was a no answer. (I'm sure they are swamped) Does anybody have any suggestions on who to call to get some Doctors delivered to MSY pronto?

We called AirRouting and they took care of our approval into MSY. I'm going in on Sunday with the Global.

Publishers said:
My wife asked me this morning why I was watching so much of the coverage provided of hurricane Katrina. For me, it is hard to not look at what is one of the world’s greatest human tragedies. This one did not happen in some remote part of the country, it happened at our back door and it happened from a storm at one point headed right at Coral Springs.
While your emotional outpouring is admirable, this should probably be put in some perspective. Did you spend this much time watching CNN when the tsunami hit Asia? The damage in LA, MS and AL is terrible and I feel for the people that couldn't get out but a quarter of a million people lost their lives and hundreds of thousands more lost everything they owned (without a mandatory evacuation order) in the tsunami in comparison to hundreds. I don't know if these two disasters are even on the same level. Maybe it's just because it's at your back door. Tragedy is tragedy. They all suck. All the best to you guys volunteering to help.

Last edited:
I totally missed your last reply macfly. Looks like flightinfos server took a mean dump.

macfly said:
Jim brings up a good point...

The mayor was complaining that he was getting school buses for rescue transportation instead of greyhound buses.

Which one was in his original evac plan, or did he have one?

Looks like the city was not prepared and is now blaming national rescue services for thier lack of foresight.

Amen!! Glad to see Im not the only one thinking this way. The mayor sounds like a real ass.

macfly said:
Which one was in his original evac plan, or did he have one?

Looks like the city was not prepared and is now blaming national rescue services for thier lack of foresight.

Macfly, according to a WSJ editorial published last week, (not sure about the date, I heard the editor give a radio interview) New Orleans DID have a fully developed plan. In fact, they ran a simulation last year of getting hit by a CAT III or higher storm. The simulation predicted the eventual outcome. The saddest thing to me, is that the plan called for a 72 hour evacuation time frame. The mayor knew that he needed 72 hours and he knew that the city would flood (assuming that he actually reviewed the report on the previous years simulation), still he did NOT order a mandatory evac. Nor did he order that the busses run for evacuation. To his credit, or at least the credit of someone in local government, I did hear someone who claimed to be a NO resident, state that the buses were sent to places like nursing homes and hospitals in an attempt to take any voluntary evacuees.

I completely agree, the blame is being placed on our Federal government, when the responsibility belongs/belonged to the local and state governments.

On a slighly related note: When did the Federal Government become responsible for the lives of individual State citizens? Is our country not a Union of STATES?

Please remember this: A GOVERNMENT ENABLED TO PROVIDE EVERYTHING YOU NEED, IS ALSO A GOVERNMENT ENABLED TO TAKE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE.

I'm proud to live in a country who's Federal Government attempts to provide help where it is needed, but the RESPONSIBILITY to provide help belongs to the individual states.

Now, to go off on a tangent. Why is the NeoConservative Republican President responsible for a city run by liberal Democratics?

enigma

enigma said:
Now, to go off on a tangent. Why is the NeoConservative Republican President responsible for a city run by liberal Democratics?

enigma

W. is (not) answering your question right now live on TV.

Wow, everybody has been played once again. We're arguing along liberal/conservative lines while the globalists are going for the jugular in the USA. I hope i'm wrong or anarchy will soon seem like a viable option.

Nice speech W. You sound like your father!

Last edited:
islandhopper said:
Wow, everybody has been played once again. We're arguing along liberal/conservative lines while the globalists are going for the jugular in the USA. I hope i'm wrong or anarchy will soon seem like a viable option.

What?!? Care to elaborate what in the heck that means?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back