• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

*New Jetblue Pay Rates*

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes i understand, but it sounded like he thought JB was doing the industry a favor. The "free market" rates were lowered significantly because of pay rates like JBs rates. I am not saying that ual is the be all and end all of airlines, and i am not saying that JB sucks, but anyone who thinks JB, CAL (from 83), Virg Am, Airtran are helping the industry, well i have to disagree with them. It all started with dereguation. I am glad that JB may be getting raises, but the damage has already been done and will continue until too many people are killed becuase we havent recruited the best and brightest. Listen to testimony from sully to congress. He and jeff have done more for this industry in an hour and a half than everyone else put together in the past 8 years.

To answer your question, yes, i think things should change, maybe "free markets" are not the best choice in safety sensative industries. The free market lowest cost might not work for airlines. But it shouldnt take airplane crashes to show this, we have too many bean counters and not enough leaders.

FREE MARKET in the airline industry does not exist.. What has happened to this industry has nothing to do with the pilots and everything to do with management. This same greed carries over into all industry in the USA. The worker has gotten poorer and management richer ten fold.

The problem with pilot recruitment starts with the majors farming out the flying and imposing rates that are barely profitable for the regionals. The salaries are forced so low that the birth of pilot puppy mills are created.

When i was building time a new hire regional fo would have 3000 plus hrs just to get an interview unless of course you were a female pilot with 700 hours then you would go right into the right seat of the 767 at united. I didnt get my first airline interview until I had 6000 hrs

The truth is he doesn't. We just believe he does. They New York Transit workers went on strike and no one was going to stop them. The ALPA officers are pussies who are only out for themselves. The are the most embarrassing, disgraceful leaders in history of any organization.

Thanks hockeypilot. I'll make sure that if we ever end up in bankruptcy again, and we need someone to brief our attorneys about Section 1113 of the United States Bankruptcy code, they call you.

So my deep, underground, JetBlue sources tell me that today is the day that these new rates get officially announced. Was I misinformed?

No..we are all awaiting the "BEEP" on our phones that say you have new mail. Suppose to be today.

No..we are all awaiting the "BEEP" on our phones that say you have new mail. Suppose to be today.

Just verifying longhorns post. Yes, today is the day for the official release of the new pay structure. Rumor is 78 is the new time and a half trigger point.

I am glad that JB may be getting raises, but the damage has already been done and will continue until too many people are killed becuase we havent recruited the best and brightest. Listen to testimony from sully to congress. He and jeff have done more for this industry in an hour and a half than everyone else put together in the past 8 years.

To answer your question, yes, i think things should change, maybe "free markets" are not the best choice in safety sensative industries. The free market lowest cost might not work for airlines. But it shouldnt take airplane crashes to show this, we have too many bean counters and not enough leaders.

Good point; I don't believe an airline has to hire the best and brightest; all they require is qualified. It's unfortunate and reinforces a possible professional slide to a VOTECH type labor force and mentality.

A judge shouldn't have the power to stop a strike. The truth is he doesn't.

Actually, yes he does. The APA tried to do what you're suggesting. They conducted a blatantly illegal sick-out, and the judge told them to stop. They didn't stop, so he issued a $40 million fine against their union and told them that he would bankrupt them if they didn't stop the second time. Needless to say, they complied the second time. If you don't comply with an injunction, then the judge will simply fine you enough to bankrupt your union into nonexistence, and then you're nothing but another at-will worker that management can replace at will. How many of your fellow pilots do you think will hold the picket lines when their union doesn't even exist anymore? Good luck with that plan. :rolleyes:

They New York Transit workers went on strike and no one was going to stop them.

The transit workers don't work under the RLA. But putting that aside for a moment, I doubt you're aware of the consequences to that strike. Each TWU member that works for the MTA is having money deducted from every paycheck for a couple of years to pay off fines that the judge imposed on them individually. In addition to the individual fines for each member, the judge also imposed $2.5 million in fines on the union, and the members can no longer have their dues automatically deducted from their paychecks. Basically, the judge is trying to put the union in a situation where they'll be struggling financially and won't be able to put up much of a fight next time. Some pilots like to point to this strike as a victory, but it was really a draw. They got some small pay raises, no change to their pension, and some minor changes in work rules like a paid holiday on MLK day, yet they're having to pay individual fines and their union is under intense financial pressure. Not exactly a stunning victory.

The ALPA officers are pussies who are only out for themselves. The are the most embarrassing, disgraceful leaders in history of any organization.

I'm willing to bet that you've never met any of them and are talking out of your ass.

Well, it's past the close of business on the east coast.......no raise? Or are you guys just being coy? :)

Somebody's being coy, but it's not the line pilots. Nothing's out yet. We'll probably get an email at 2359 and 67% of the pilots will trip over themselves explaining how the company needed the time to make sure they were taking care of us properly. :rolleyes:

The transit workers don't work under the RLA. But putting that aside for a moment, I doubt you're aware of the consequences to that strike. Each TWU member that works for the MTA is having money deducted from every paycheck for a couple of years to pay off fines that the judge imposed on them individually. In addition to the individual fines for each member, the judge also imposed $2.5 million in fines on the union, and the members can no longer have their dues automatically deducted from their paychecks. Basically, the judge is trying to put the union in a situation where they'll be struggling financially and won't be able to put up much of a fight next time. Some pilots like to point to this strike as a victory, but it was really a draw. They got some small pay raises, no change to their pension, and some minor changes in work rules like a paid holiday on MLK day, yet they're having to pay individual fines and their union is under intense financial pressure. Not exactly a stunning victory.

Very interesting. I didn't realize they got those additional spanks.

Latest resources

Back