• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Jetblue pay raise!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think don't caveman or anyone else have a "sense of entitlement", but they are looking around and seeing if their skills can go to a higher bidder. Caveman doesn't "owe" JB (nor does anyone else) a day longer on the property than they want to work there. Why would someone join knowing year 2 or 3 pay was low? First--there has been a lot of discussion in improving those rates. Second--compensation comes in many forms...including profit sharing and stock options. Finally--getting the 121 experience might make folks more marketable to other companies. Checking in for a year then checking out when a better deal comes along doesn't make a pilot a terrible person--it makes them a realistic business person.

A lot of folks are at JB now because JB was the only place they could get hired, and it was better than where they were OR it was good bridge to a later job.

And that...in a nutshell...is the big difference between JB now and 3 years ago. 3 years ago people joined with career aspirations. Now, a lot of folks look at this place as a stepping stone. Caveman (I think) left a job as a CL 65 captain at a place going through some tough times. Now he has a better job (I think). However--nothing says he can't march on to someone else with a little more experience and perspective now, and his stop in JB doesn't make him a terrible guy.

The choice is really up to current management. If they want career guys, then there needs to be some career type pay. Otherwise--folks will jump for better offers. When guys were upgrading at 2 years and making six figures, getting profit sharing, and the stock was on the way up...well...they'd ride the storms. Right now, JB has a great culture, but some real growing pains and a staganting upgrade train. Attrition is only going to go up, not down--until those things change. Chastising folks for looking for better deals is unrealistic.

One final note--and I've said this before--folks who STAY at a carrier should THANK everyone leaving. There is NO better way--even unionization--to send a signal to management that "...it needs to be better..." Every guy who walks over to FDX, CAL, or whereever is putting pressure on the company to make YOUR life better too. If they are senior to you--you move up a notch. If they are junior--its easier now to get your buddies hired. And either way--somebody is having to factor is attrition costs when they determine the next set of pay scales.

I couldnt agree more with everything you said. And Im not criticizing Caveman or others looking to do the same thing and maximize their earnings potential and balancing QOL issues. Everyone has their motivations/perogatives and to each his own. I wish them all the best of luck sincerely. He doesnt owe them anything, I just want people to realize its a that that arguement is a two way street. Youre right--voting with their feet seems to be the one thing JB is starting to listen to since it affects the bottom line. Its an exercise in macronomics ie supply v demand.

It looks like the way to make money at JB is as an A320 Capt. What are the prospects at an upgrade onto the bus at JB? Probably not very good, since all of the 320 captains are young and won't retire anytime soon, and there are probably many senior bus FOs waiting for any spot that opens up. There are probably E190 Captains that are waiting to move over to the bus left seat eventually too. If you are junior on the bus or E190 as an FO right now, it may take awhile to see that large pay increase. Don't worry, we have some of the same problems here at DL, but we are getting a bunch more 757s this year and some more 777s and 787s eventually. And hey, maybe we will merge (or aquire you or parts of you) and you can bid 767s over here.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dont you know they train us to not like boeings over here? Ha Ha

Im not going to waste my time worrying about mergers, life's too short and they are more or less out of control of the line pilot. All you can do is make a plan b outside of aviation.

I realize Im wasting my breath here, but here goes. Youre just getting off 1st year pay and youre already complaining about 2nd year pay? Boo frickin hoo is right...didnt you look at the pay scale when you got on here for years 2-10? I just dont get it. Where in the last 11 months has the expectation been created that you would get a pay raise beyond what you signed on for? Not only the expectation, but the entitlement that you are actually "owned" any raise? Reality check: JB is a 7 year old start up, it hasnt been around 35 years or 197 years like SWA/FDX and UPS. Youre not going to make that type of money here nor should you expect to NOW. Year by year pay should come up though. If you want to go work for them, more power to you. Im not saying we all dont deserve more money, we all do. But the last time I looked this is still a very young company that hasnt been very profitable of late.

Im not bashing you or defending the company; I just dont understand the expectations or the sense of entitlement.

You're not wasting your breath but you are missing the point. I did look at the pay scales for years 2-10 and decided that I could tolerate the low FO pay as a tradeoff for a relatively quick upgrade. I chose JetBlue in part because there was the prospect of a pretty quick path to the left seat of the Airbus. The day I showed up for training we announced we were cutting back on deliveries of A320s. That instantly added 2-3 years to the timeline I had in mind for being a lineholder A320 CA.

My expectations for this raise were high because I was told that a review would make us industry standard. We were told twice that a compensation review was in order because in some areas JetBlue was no longer competitive. It was particularly noted that because upgrade times would now be longer our FOs were behind the curve. Two reviews later and I get a dollar an hour raise. The company is seriously delusional if they think $57 for year two and $67 for year three is going to stop the attrition to UPS, FedEx or SWA. After 1st year pay at those airlines you can afford to wait for the upgrade. You can't at JetBlue. People with families can't wait 4-5 years to make a reasonable living. Year 2-4 FO pay at JetBlue has to improve or the high attrition will continue.

I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into with JetBlue and I'm glad I'm here. There are many things about this company I really like. FO pay isn't one of them. Don't tell me you're going to make it right and then give me a dollar an hour raise. That's BS.

Albie,

Good memory. You pretty much nailed my situation. I also agree with most of your analysis of the situation at JetBlue.

You're not wasting your breath but you are missing the point. I did look at the pay scales for years 2-10 and decided that I could tolerate the low FO pay as a tradeoff for a relatively quick upgrade. I chose JetBlue in part because there was the prospect of a pretty quick path to the left seat of the Airbus. The day I showed up for training we announced we were cutting back on deliveries of A320s. That instantly added 2-3 years to the timeline I had in mind for being a lineholder A320 CA.

My expectations for this raise were high because I was told that a review would make us industry standard. We were told twice that a compensation review was in order because in some areas JetBlue was no longer competitive. It was particularly noted that because upgrade times would now be longer our FOs were behind the curve. Two reviews later and I get a dollar an hour raise. The company is seriously delusional if they think $57 for year two and $67 for year three is going to stop the attrition to UPS, FedEx or SWA. After 1st year pay at those airlines you can afford to wait for the upgrade. You can't at JetBlue. People with families can't wait 4-5 years to make a reasonable living. Year 2-4 FO pay at JetBlue has to improve or the high attrition will continue.

I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into with JetBlue and I'm glad I'm here. There are many things about this company I really like. FO pay isn't one of them. Don't tell me you're going to make it right and then give me a dollar an hour raise. That's BS.

Excellent points, I agree with virtually all of it. I now have a better understanding of your frustration. I wish you ( and us all) good luck.

Bavarian ABHORS me!

I am happy, had a great day with the wife and kids.

One of the reasons I abhore you is because you pretend to know me, my background, my current situation or my experience. You never tire of throwing those barbs out there and in every case you are wrong. As usual I will not return the favor. Apparently a challenge towards jb is perceived as a challenge towards you. I think you are the one that needs to lighten up.

Wow..

You ought to look at yourself in the mirror and read some of YOUR posts.

I'll make my point for you Bavarian ... short and sweet.
I tried to be polite.

Your SARCASM... Your negativitity will WEAR on people.
Over time.... it becomes a real depressing and somewhat self promoting thing.
At work.. it will be complain, complain, complain.

You've heard it from others.... I'm just calling you on it.

My personal experience (and a lot of others who have worked at other carriers) deems its not warranted or justified.

I'm not ignoring the issues hear at JetBlue.... I'm just being rational, pragmatic and trying to be constructive. If you want to turn JetBlue in to a Mesa metality workplace, you will not find much support for it.

Yes I'm a Captain... and all that means is I was looking for and got the job before you. No entitlement or attitude. I've been an F/O at three different carriers for over 13 years.

So if you want to abhor me... go ahead. I'm not backing down from YOUR barbs at a DECENT place to work. And it will get better if people like yourself don't drag it down.

Latest resources

Back