• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New hire at WN/AT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a "poolie" at SW I am really re thinking going to SW now. Bottom of an 8K pilot group, feeling like SW will ditch the 717 eventually,( possible future furlough) no movement for years, 15 year upgrade at best, doesn't sound promising. All to sit RSV on a 737 in OAK/PHX and commute across the country home. ( ********************ty QOL )But the pay and benefits are worth it and SW has never furlough anyway.( every airline furloughs eventually ) Any thoughts ?

If you are in the pool at SWA, I would take the job. Southwest is a great company and has an excellent track record. In this business you can't tell the future but you can evaluate based on the information you have, and the info on SWA is good. Great culture, great people and a seemingly knowledgable management in place that wants to continue on their path.

Movement? There isn't any movement anywhere and won't be for another few years. There is more to a job than upgrade time.

You will be on reserve for a while anywhere. I am in my 3rd year at Delta and still on reserve. It isn't that bad but that's the case nontheless.

Take it!!

A phrase you'll learn at Swa--

"it's all about you isn't it..." said tongue in cheek usually- if it's said serious- that's not good-

The job is no different- but the company is very different- if you're not into that you should drop out w/ no regrets -

And I agree- upgrade? Really? That's regional thinking

Id rather start at the bottom of a list that will have significant movement. Not knocking SW but as new hire there may be better options. Half of AA's and US (east) pilots will be gone in 10 years, can you say the same about SW? Its about movement and SW has ZERO. Just saying.

I agree 100%, Delta is the same way in regards to retirements. Why stagnate on the bottom when you could catch a wave at one of the majors? If you had no other option than take SWA but if you have other options, i'd seriously consider them. Good luck

Yes- I think you're right- in fact every pilot w/ an employee # less than 88000 should go if you're thinking about it- even if you're a lance- I mean this career has just not been fair to you-
Go now, be free of this southwest pariah

Clark,

When I first came on this forum over 11 yrs ago your question was asked but in regards to leaving to go to DAL, NWA, UAL, AA, CAL, US Air and other legacies.

The only difference now is that 11 yrs later NWA, CAL are no longer around, US Air has major issues and now SWA is included in the group you are considering.

All depends on what your priorities are basically.

If you want the max $$s, today it could be argued it is SWA or one of the cargo ops. What will that be in 5-10 yrs?

You could be disappointed if that is your top priority so be careful using that criteria.

International flying? A little at SWA and probably some more in the future (10 yrs) but probably not on the scale of the other legacies until possibly many years later.

Big metal? Other legacies are a sure bet, SWA less so until years down the road.

Job security and culture. Look at the last 39 yrs and determine which company has the best track record....like the stock experts say, "past performance doesn't guarantee future returns"; however, QOL and a positive work environment is tough to measure but for most of those at SWA who have worked at other airlines the consensus is consistently "it is much better at SWA than my previous airline". Not an official survey but simply my experience.

Some see SWA growing little after the completion of the merger....maybe, maybe not....AAI has 32 ATL gates...AAI has around 200 flights there...with that many gates SWA could generate 100 more flights a day...lots of connections between SWA cities and ATL....add Wright Amendment changes in 2014 and inevitable expansion due to new opportunities and retirements of 140-160 a year beginning in 2013.

Lots of retirements at the others also, percentage wise probably a greater number. Good luck in your decision....fly safe.

Lastly, write down the five most important things you want in your new company....make the best decision based upon those five criteria and then put the piece of paper away and then look at it again every couple of years and realize if you change the priorities then you will be disappointed...it won't be the airline's fault....the airline you choose will not change its stripes for you or anyone else unless its leadership does.

Choose carefully grasshopper.

I think he's lost his mind, please don't kick him off flight info, he might commit suicide....too funny.
I'm not on here all that much. I hated reading his post, but I must admit that he cracks me up now. General, keep it up!
I will disagree about SWA. They still have a lot of expanding they can do - Caribbean, S.America, and Central America. Just saying.

Latest resources

Back