• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New hire at WN/AT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ask the guys who passed on a class at SWA when we were running classes pretty regular. They are all pretty much kicking themselves. If you are so concerned about another carrier retiring large numbers in the future, where do you plan on working between now and then?

I say that there is no heavier burden than a missed opportunity, especially if you are in the first class that runs in Jan and have 200 to follow.

Dick

Take the job you have.... when another opportunity knocks, then it's time to ponder..... unless your leaving a pretty good setup right now....... as long as the steps are always in the right direction..... even baby steps.

Half of AA's and US (east) pilots will be gone in 10 years, can you say the same about SW? Its about movement and SW has ZERO. Just saying.

Enjoy your time at either of those companies. If you are really in the pool for Southwest then hopefully you applied there because you like the culture and what they have to offer (including pay). To suggest that now you want to get out of the pool because you will have to be an FO for a little longer while making six figures... maybe Southwest wasn't the best place for you anyway.

You are correct. There has been NO movement in 2 years at SWA. I don't know the answer but will say you are just taking a snapshot of NOW. What about tomorrow? Will they be growing? I dont think they purchased AAI so that they would just stand still. Just my thoughts.

Bake

RESPECTFULLY, where else can the new SWA grow? Sounds like SWA has the country covered now thanks to the AT merger. There are only so many gates, slots, and runways out there that can handle more flights. SWA has maxed out operations in BWI, MDW, PHX, LAS, DEN(not a crew base yet), MCO (any more gates available there? add AT gates there too), TPA, ISP, DAL, HOU, SLC, etc. AT has hubs in ATL and MKE, with a smaller focus city in BWI. They are getting slots in EWR, but that airport is already maxed out. LGA can't really grow any more. ORD is slot controlled. LAX terminal 1 is maxed out. Get the picture yet? I guess they can try Hawaii stuff, but that is a long way out. I don't see much growing in the next few years. How many SWA Captains are near Age 65 now? That will be your movement. Like a bowl movement...(feels good)

Regardless, ALL OF YOU ARE FANTASTIC, and the lack of movement at your new airline won't matter when you remember that you NOW HAVE THE SWA CULTURE THAT EVERYONE LOVES THERE. PURE LOVE AND PEACE BABY! Just because AA co-pilots are the same age as the AA Captains, and those same FOs are now in their 50s with no major movement opportunities, doesn't mean you can't be happy at the new SWA, because you have a great SWA CULTURE. SAY IT WITH ME--CUL---TURE. It's SPECIAL BABY, SPECIAL! FUN PEOPLE, FUN TIMES. If you have time today, please, please do something nice for someone or something, like teaching young kids the meaning of "a good work ethic" by allowing them to clean the garage until 11pm tonight. See ya!

Bye Bye--General Lee

I have talked to SWA Captains and FO's and they are very happy with their jobs. For those who are SWA FO's and not climbing the ladder to the left seat as quickly as they desire, be happy you have a career with a company like SWA!! There are many pilots out there who would love to be working for your company, and be in your position as a first officer. In this economy, be thankful you have a job you have trained hard to achieve!!!

Think again....with the addition of AirTran's folks and the way GK has been going try 20+ years. TWENTY + Believe it. Bottom of the list guys were looking at north of 18 years prior to the merger announcement.

In short order I predict that WN will start losing guys from the FO ranks once Dec 2012 hits. Reference the various threads on retirements at Delta/AA/CO-UA. Much, much better list movement. It the situation works for somebody, they're gonna take it.

Nobody's leaving prior to 65 at WN....and our retirements average ~140/yr for a long time.

YMMV....

I liked the old General Lee and I like the new one too! Quite humorous.

CLARKGRSWOLD - don't go to SWA. Then in a few years when you haven't been able to get to another major and are stuck at a regional as RJs are being dumped in favor of mainline flying you too can complain about the evil major pilots.

So you won't make Captain quickly at SWA. As a SWA FO you will make better money than at your regional. Further, going to SWA does not stop you from changing airlines in the future if the opportunity arises. But if it doesn't, being stuck as a SWA FO is better than being stuck as a regional Captain.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back