• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Flight Time and Duty Day Regulations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One must not confuse the desire to improve safety with that to improve their W2s.
I'm not...

Marketing schedules is what drives pilot schedules.

Long duty days are necessary to fit enough block hour into a day of flying.

Efficient schedules drive safety. Long duty days with very few block hours or long duty days with 10 legs hurt safety.

While financial motivations are very powerful and not having to worry about affording a hotel room if you commute in the night before is important, truly professional pilots shouldn't now or ever tie how professional or safe they act and fly to their income or income potential.

The best way for airline pilots to squander the current outrage (and therefore leverage for improvements) Joe Q Public feels on this issue is to so much as appear to be more concerned about your wallet than the safety of the traveling public.

Shortening maximum duty and lengthening minimum rest will both improve overall safety and should reduce overall crew fatigue in a way palatable to the flying public & politicians without coming off as a money grab by labor. How those changes are best implemented will be largely out of the hands of line pilots (and probably even ALPA).

I personally think a max 14 hour duty day with minimum non-reducible rest of 10 hours would be a BIG improvement and the most likely change as it would be (mostly) in line with 91K and 135 requirements. If we want to limit the max scheduled duty time to 12 hours, that'd probably help too. In order to avoid the law of unintended consequences from this change causing a loss of days off & QOL due to utilization, raise the max daily flight time to a hard 10 hours (if placing any limit on it at all).

But we've all got our opinions...

Splert said:
Efficient schedules drive safety. Long duty days with very few block hours or long duty days with 10 legs hurt safety.

Agreed...but proposing pay rigs become LAW is the wrong way to go about improving safety because it doesn't appear to have safety as the primary interest.

Agreed...but proposing pay rigs become LAW is the wrong way to go about improving safety because it doesn't appear to have safety as the primary interest.

I disagree...as long as marketing determines when we fly, our schedule will not be as safe. All airlines need the same incentive to include fixed pilot cost into the mix. A short duty day with a limit on landing will only lead to 6 days off a month for most pilots who don't have strong work rules.

Work rules should be the law just like min. wage and other requirements.

12 hour max duty days - could extend two hours for irops (this extension may be applied only twice per calendar month).

10 hours minimum rest scheduled. Could be reduced to 9 ONLY for irops.

Reduced rest may only be applied twice in any calendar month.

Any reduced rest requires 12 hours compensatory rest beginning no later than 24 hours after the beginning of the reduced rest period.

A rest period begins at the hotel AFTER check-in and ends BEFORE getting on the shuttle.

Scheduled Duty day will not exceed rest period immediately prior. This may be extended up to two hours for irops. However, there shall be no allowance for irops following a rest period.

CDOs must be agreed to by crewmember with NO repercussions from company.

CDOs shall be flown as schedule with NO additional flights. A single flight may be added during irops to get flight crew to it's home base.

Fatigue calls shall have no repercussions. Company may track excessive fatigue calls.

10 hours flight time w/2 landings max.
9 hours flight time w/3 landings max.
8 hours flight time w/4 landings max.
8 hours flight time w/6 landings max. - 11 hour max duty day
7 hours flight time w/8 landings max. - 10 hour max duty day

No more than 8 landings - including irops.

Each crewmember shall have 30 minutes away from the aircraft at least once for each 5 hours of duty time as landings allow. No duties shall be required during this period.

30/7 still applies 24 off in 7 still applies.

At least once per calendar month, a pilot must have at least 3 consecutive days off.

Hotels would be required to provide comfortable quiet rooms for the ENTIRE rest period (no knocks from housekeeping, no vacuum cleaners banging your door, ice machines, elevators, construction, property maintenance, etc.)

Hot food available at beginning and end of rest period (Jack in the Box that won't serve walk-ups at the drive through doesn't count).

XJohXJ I understand the dislike for CDO's/highspeeds/stand-ups and whatever else they're called. I don't like them myself. However, working the backside of the clock is pretty normal in anything aviation. It's only recently that many of the "red-eye" flights went away from airlines. I think removing CDO's as an option would hurt both our company and our pilots; financially and through quality of life.

I also hate the same thing you do, scheduling changing reserve periods whenever they want. I have no idea what other airlines are like regarding this, but if I bid P3 I rarely stay on it for the whole month. That is wrong-no question. Good luck getting that strengthened though.

I agree with a couple of others too, bring the 14 hour duty day (with 10 hours of rest) to our side of aviation. Reduced rest is often dangerous, especially during heavy winter ops.

I agree with the max duty being tied with the number of landings.
Cycles is the main cause for fatigue, not flying:
6 hours of flying in one leg is a LOT less tiring than 6 hours of flying with 6 legs.

I agree with the max duty being tied with the number of landings.
Cycles is the main cause for fatigue, not flying:
6 hours of flying in one leg is a LOT less tiring than 6 hours of flying with 6 legs.

Really? Maybe it's personal, but I find myself more awake on a 6-leg day than I used to on the east to west coast runs. I was flat out wiped after 5-6 hours in one leg. More cycles seem to keep me a bit more aware.

All great ideas!!! Hopefully it will take place soon and the end result will prevent furloughs! Keep up the great brainstorming!

Baja.

Max scheduled duty period.... 12hours.

Max allowed on duty...... 14 hours

Minimum scheduled Rest.... 10 hrs

No limit on flying within that scheduled 12 hr. Duty Period.

Some limitations on A.M. / P.M. mixing in pairing and line construction. Keeping similar circadian rhythm.

K.I.S.S. plus I think this lines up pretty well with the NTSB guidelines from their fatigue study.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back