New FedEx Training Rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PBS?

Could someone in the know please offer a brief explanation on what a "preferential bidding system" is. I'm only in the pool, and still need some translation every now and then.

Thanks.

PBS is this. Instedad of picking the schedule that you like out of a printed "bid package", a computer will build you a line of flying that as close to your preference as possible, based on your seniority. I think that it is really just a fear of the unknown that scares people. I have heard people say if the union had 100 % control over the system, it might not be a bad thing. But most people doubt the company would allow that.

I'm sure it would save the company a ton of money, just in printing and "fedexing" a 200 page bid pack to 4000 pilots every month alone. I have heard the Northwest guys like it. Does America West have it? Any comments?

SF3CA

It is NOT fear of the unknown, it is fear of the known!

Try bidding secondary lines sometime. Once in a while, you get a great trip. Often, you get something that in no way resembles what you asked for. I'd give details of some stories but I'd be wasting other readers time--go to our MEC page and ask the same question.

NW pilots like it because the difference between a "good" trip and a "backbreaker" are not that great. They also have some control via their union. Conversely, at FDX, we do have some "doozies" of trips that will wear you out. The way to avoid such trips is to hang out until senior enough to avoid those trips. PBS mitigates that seniority, and leaves your life for the month up the the whims of a computer and a scheduler.

Now...if you are junior...you say "so what...PBS screws the senior guys, so maybe I'll get my trip after all..." The problem with that argument is FDX has a LOT of guys who are very senior on the seat so that they can sleep at home every night in their field cities (hub turns) or at Memphis (O&Bs). So...if these guys CAN'T get their hometown lines consistently then they will bid off and move up to other seats...and the days of 2-3 year guys going to the right seat of widebodys at FDX will likely be over for good.

One of the main reasons I separated from the AF was I got tired of no control over my schedule and a lack of knowing what was up the following weeks. The hard line schedule is cool...each month I can bid for a variety of lines knowing what I am getting into. PBS just sets us up for being zigged and zagged around timezones and clocks at the whims of the company. I don't think the company is evil, bad, or necessarily out to try to wear me out...its just there is no way ANY computer or person can better know what I want than I do. Stick with hard lines, and let us trip trade, trade with open time, and drop trips as required to manage our lives. As long as the goods get hauled safely and without incident, everyone wins.

Last edited:
Albie's my hero.

If any mngmt guy tries to bend your ear about this, tell them this: you'll support PBS when VTO lines are going senior!

PBS

Let me first say that since the company wants it bad....Its probably not going to be good for us, at least in the form the company wants.

However, I don't think we are going to have choice. So we'd better get real smart on it. NWA has specific "rule sets" that have been negotiated and built into the software. NWA can't change these rule sets without the unions "ok".

I think, the real sticking point to all this, is that Fedex is going to be unwilling to reliquish any control to the SIG.

PBS could be a good thing, if we are to negotiate built in rule sets. For example. Lets say you live Detroit. Normaly you bid one of two DTW-IND lines. You either get the first and third week or the 2nd and fouth week. But next month you need the last 2 weeks of the month off because your dog is getting neutured and you need to be there for him. In theory, with PBS you can choose the pairings on the first and second weeks and still be there for rover!

Also, in order to make this thing work for us, we first need to beta test this for about a year, where we bid both traditionaly and with PBS. During that time we continue to use the traditional line system, but we are able to evaluate, and form our own rule sets. Eventualy we may be able to come up with somthing worth while.

But then again, what do I know?:confused:

I am concerned that PBS will destroy our vacation benifits. Being able to bid a know hard line or a known reserve line and the sliding and expanding, then conflicting our vacation is one of the best benifits in the entire airline industry. I'm sure the computer would figure out a way to put a stop to that.

If this becomes reality, (which I hope it does not), the SIG must have control over the process.

PBS

Another thing to consider is that our vacation system goes away. If you have 7 days of vacation then you'll get 7 days off that month. You won't be able to slide enough to cover the trips they give you. The days of turning 7 days of vacation into 3 weeks off will be gone. You want 3 weeks off you'll have to bid 21 days off on your vacation bid. We have the best vacation in the system. PB will destroy our vacation system. disco

Disco is absolutely correct. Under the current system, if I have eight days of vacation for next month, and bid VTO, then the company will deduct eight days of flying, build a line with the remainder, and that is my line. Those remaining days of work can be sitting right next to the days of vacation I have planned, and that is perfectly ok (under the current system). Under a PBS system, vacation could work the same way. I propose, however, that if you have a month of vacation under a PBS system, you would be able to bid whatever you want (assuming you have the seniority to hold it), and once your line is built, you could then slide and expand your vacation to knock out the trips you want just like under our present system. That way, the company could get its PBS system, and we could hold on to our vacation system. Of course, before I would bite off on a PBS, there would have to be a lot of other safety parameters in place, and I doubt the company would bite off on them, but to solve the vacation issue, this would be the least of my demands.

fdxdisco,

I expect the PBS to work like the VTOs in regard to vacation. If you have a 7 day vacation you can slide it 5 days in either direction, plus add a 48 hour buffer on either, or both ends, your choice. 7 days vacation equals 42 hours pay credit. In a 4 week bid month they add trips worth 30 hours(5 days work), 5 week bid month they would add trips worth 50 hours(8.2 days work). Bid 12 days vacation in a 4 week bid month and you get the whole month off, 15 days vacation in a 5 week bid month you get the whole month off. 35 days vacation in a 5 week month BLG=210:0. 28 days vacation in a 4 week bid month BLG=168:00.

If you want 3 weeks off you DO NOT HAVE TO BID 21 DAYS VACATION. If you bid 21 days vacation with a VTO you will have all the month off 4 or 5 week bid month and your BLG will be 126:00.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back