New FedEx Training Rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mtu2000

Has anyone heard a rumor today that FedEx is starting up their training soon. I heard this through a third party today and wondered how accurate it was or if anyone had more info.

I suppose that depends on your definition of soon. I haven't heard anything on the line, and unfortunately I think it's just another rumor. A seat bid just came out that had 30 vacancies for 727 S/Os, but the following verbiage was also included:

"New Hires
No hiring is anticipated until Spring '04 at the earliest. The primary B727 S/O vacancies listed on this bid are a hedge should we need to hire prior to the next posting."

This leaves some wiggle room, but doesn't look promising. The MD-11 training continues at full throttle, but the problem is the fleet plan continues to eliminate the 3-crew cockpits in favor of 2-crew, reducing the vacancies on the bottom. Everything above combined with an expected very busy peak this year, I can't see any new hire training happening until after the first of the year, more likely "Spring '04". I'm NOT an authority on the subject, just passing on what I hear. As we all know things can change very rapidly, and we all hope they do...for the better!

Another recent bit of info from inside big purple was the updated retirement charts. I am just adding this as a bit of good news to go along with all the "other" news we seem to be getting.

The numbers look good for growth within FedEx. 70 next year, 120 the following and basically 150/year after that.

This should help offset the crew reduction numbers a little. We can't transition to 2 crew aircraft in one quick motion. So they will need to hire to keep up with those guys that retire (and don't decide to the back of DC-10).

Hang in there...I am certainly hoping for hiring to start soon.

VERY junior on the ladder -

Ape

Hello everyone,
Just flew a trip to NRT, and the captain told of a very interesting rumor with regards to retirements... The FedEx retirement office has been receiveng numerous (up to 100) inquiries regarding early retirement starting in December... While this may be interesting, I'll still wait and see what happens...
Take Care,
Murdawg5

keep'em coming

Any thread that contains the words "hiring", and "update" shines a ray of hope down on us poolies. Despite the fact that rumors run amock on this board, it's always nice to read some news with an optimistic possibility.

My last correspondence from Kim D. (about 3 weeks ago) suggested that Spring would probably be the soonest hiring, and that the rumor mill was rather silent.

Thanks for the update!!

Actually, the reason for the early retirement inquiries may due the fact that our contract is up for negotiation next year. Many guys may decide to leave early rather than go through a protracted contract scenario. This may become even more evident if we go to a self-help situation. I can't say I would blame them...go out on strike and make no pay, or retire early and still get paid. There are quite a few guys who are 55 or over and could start collecting retirement. Only time will tell.

If we're released into self-help before about 2007, I'll buy everybody here... something. It takes three years minimum.

25% of FDX guys don't stay until 60 - I've always wondered if that is factored into those retirement projection charts.

And I ask everybody I see for rumors. I guess the best lately was more Airbusses - like, alot more.

Any of you guys know a poolie thats a DHC-8 Capt for Era in ANC? Really awesome guy!

Hey TonyC, your avatar is my picture I shot in ANC, on airliners.net! PM me if you'd like a print of one of my shots. And anybody else who wants one.

Alaskaairlines said:
Hey TonyC, your avatar is my picture I shot in ANC, on airliners.net! PM me if you'd like a print of one of my shots. And anybody else who wants one.
I like your work - - I've downloaded most of your Airliners.net shots, and use one as my "wallpaper" at home. I had to crop this one a bit to fit the 150x150 pixel limit, but I think it looks nice. I would prefer one that shows "FedEx" clearly, shows winglets clearly, and shows the mountains east of Anchorage clearly, but this one comes closest to filling all those squares. If you ever get a chance to take a shot of a FedEx MD-11 taking off on 24L or R, I'd like to see it. I think if you shot from the same place you've taken photos of airplanes taxing on to runway 14 for takeoff (or perhaps a bit farther south), and aimed towards airplanes just after liftoff from 24, you'd get a great angle with a superb mountain backdrop. (I also prefer photos of aircraft flying left to right, but I guess that's just a personal quirk.)

Should I have asked your permission to borrow your photo as an Avatar? May I? Please? :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back