• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New FAA rest rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I think the CDOs are still a go. You are not going on rest when you go to the hotel. You can do 2 leg with a 2200 show and be on duty until 0830. If I'm missing something let me know.

Look at the duty time allowance depending on duty in time. We have some cushy CDO's at ASA that get close to 14 hours of duty time...They have 8 hours and sometimes more on the ground. You can get good sleep and make good money. Those won't be legal anymore. Only the short CDO's will still be legal.

CDO's will still be a go....Only the really good ones with lots of rest will be illegal.....

This is very good for the industry and actually addresses cumulative fatigue, sector fatigue, and circadian rhythms. The new rules tend to parallel what the EU currently has, which is a duty and flight time limits based on a leg number and duty start matrix. Also the cumulative duty time limits rather than cumulative flight time limits.

So we can expect a chief pilot to phone us every night to discuss this discretion thing..

Under the old rules, I've used the fatigue flag and never been contacted...

Under the old rules, I've used the fatigue flag and never been contacted...

In general, certain Chief Pilots aside, the current management at ASA has handled fatigue very gently. There are other places, Colgan, Great Lakes, Gulfstream, Mesa, et al, that handle fatigue in a much more draconian fashion.

Good:

-9 hours of actual rest, as in time behind the door.

-No contact while in rest.

-PIC concurrence for fatigue calls.

-No discipline for fatigue calls.

There are some good things here, but there is some fluff, too. It does look like the better naps take a hit, but we don't even know the 'unintended consequences' of this, yet.

Careful what we wished for...We might not like the final result, and the impact on an already stressed industry is going to be huge as well when you factor in the other elements of this law. SOMETHING will make it thru the NPRM process, it is required by law. AQP/CQP in two years, ATP in three years...This is all a done deal by law. What I am wondering is how this is going to make it thru the regulatory process within the FAA. What we are seeing is a VERY different way of regulating the industry, because congress became involved and didn't really cost this law and it's impact on the flying public and industry. The FAA and industry at the same time have only themselves to blame for getting this rammed down their collective throat. There is nothing new here, these issues have been brought up before and quietly squashed by the FAA and industry...Why? COSTS TOO DAMNED MUCH.
Just a prediction...The costs of this law will be passed onto the flying public in the form of higher fares, reduced service/capacity and the airlines will be crying poor to labor again...Setting off an even greater economic downturn in the airline industry. And, in the final analysis, are we safer? Interesting question to ponder when the effects of this law can be measured.
See what happens when you get politicians involved in aviation?

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Only solution is government takeover. Certain industries are inherently unable to function safetly and in a stable manner under a capitalist system. Greed trumps safety, something we cannot afford in aviation. Government takeover is the pill this industry needs.

Latest resources

Back