• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New FAA Rest rules are near

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone have anything factual about the new rules. I have only heard about the 9/24. We just thought our manning was fat! :)

It is amazing how archaic your current and proposed FDT rules are in the US. How can the industry represent itself as 'safe' when it cannot even guarantee a pilot at least 8 hours of sleep between shifts?

The rules in Canada are also outdated, but at least we recognise the need for opportunity to sleep (Canadian Air Regulations require an opportunity for not less than 8 hours of prone rest between any 2 duty periods). That most certainly does not include pre or post flight duties, transportation to the hotel, or security delays. Therefore it is virtually impossible to plan a layover of less than 11 hours.

We already have requirements for at least 36 hours off in every 7 consecutive days, or a minimum of 3 consecutive days off in any string of 17 days. Any 3 consecutive duty periods over 12 hours must be followed by not less than 24 hours off. We have a max scheduled duty period of 14 hours. Extensions due to IRROPS on day of flight are at crew discretion only. Duty day extensions increase the minimum rest period afterwards. We can fly unlimited flight time within a single duty period, max 40 in 7.

Many collective agreements improve on the regulatory minimums. And there is a review underway of the existing regulations with a view to tightening duty day limits based on start time and sectors.

Certainly looks like the operators lobby group got to the FAA.

It is amazing how archaic your current and proposed FDT rules are in the US. How can the industry represent itself as 'safe' when it cannot even guarantee a pilot at least 8 hours of sleep between shifts?

Certainly looks like the operators lobby group got to the FAA.

You are 100% correct. We may not always get 8 hours sleep, but there should always be the opportunity. At a minimum that would mean 9 hours in the hotel room. Anything other than that is simple pandering to the airlines and evidence that lobby groups mean more to the FAA than flight safety.

About 1/3 of the report is about how much it will cost, if implemented !
You are right, It is all about Safety..... :)

Anybody stop to think Colgan crashed because the two pilots were in over their heads?

I seem to remember CVR comments about "I've never seen that before" etc.. I never read "boy I'm tired because I slept on the couch."

Gup

Just like the SWA Burbank crew? or MDW crew?

Several times I've called crew scheduling after a delay as we were going to the hotel and "awarded" my crew an extra hour of rest.

Be a captain and make this crap up as you go!!

You are 100% correct. We may not always get 8 hours sleep, but there should always be the opportunity. At a minimum that would mean 9 hours in the hotel room. Anything other than that is simple pandering to the airlines and evidence that lobby groups mean more to the FAA than flight safety.

As well as the opportunity to have a drink for 30 minutes.

None of these rules will resolve issues of those who commute from the West Coast all night to fly a full schedule the next day... Watch out for what you want-- next thing the Gov't will screw with is making you live in base-- see how that'll fly!!!
Why do I have to fly with the clown who does this? This new rule requires companies to note the problems they have and rectify, ie, require in place 9 hours prior to duty. And yes, this means be home from your vacation in time to get 9 hours at domicile.
Sorry commuters, commute in earlier or move. What other technically precise job allows you to show up tired?

Why do I have to fly with the clown who does this? This new rule requires companies to note the problems they have and rectify, ie, require in place 9 hours prior to duty. And yes, this means be home from your vacation in time to get 9 hours at domicile.
Sorry commuters, commute in earlier or move. What other technically precise job allows you to show up tired?

No kidding. A few months ago I sat next to a guy commuting from lax-nyc during the day to start his redeye to europe.

Latest resources

Back