• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New FAA Rest rules are near

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
None of these rules will resolve issues of those who commute from the West Coast all night to fly a full schedule the next day... Watch out for what you want-- next thing the Gov't will screw with is making you live in base-- see how that'll fly!!!

Only if the airline buys your house that is underwater financially. How would that work? What if you owe thousands of dollars on your house and can't sell it? Probably not.

Only if the airline buys your house that is underwater financially. How would that work? What if you owe thousands of dollars on your house and can't sell it? Probably not.

I don't see why the companies would be required to buy your house?

They should just put a cymbolta (spelling sorry) in the crew meal and make an 18 hr day with required nap time(coed of course) like in preschool. That would make all this totally awesome!!!!

The ata is not going to give up any time that doesn't fit the 75 yr model of work the crap outta the pilot if u can. Don't truck drivers have more rest requirements than pilots?

U.S. Airline Pilots Said to Get More Rest Under FAA Overhaul
By John Hughes - Sep 10, 2010 7:00 AM ET
Email Share Print

Airline pilots would get nine hours of rest between shifts, a 13 percent rise from current schedules, under the first proposed U.S. overhaul of fatigue rules in 15 years, according to a person familiar with the plan.

The changes, prompted by an airline crash last year near Buffalo, New York, would also require pilots to get at least 30 consecutive work-free hours each week, a 25 percent increase from today’s rules, according to the person, who requested anonymity before the proposal is announced.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Federal Aviation Administration chief Randy Babbitt have scheduled a 1 p.m. press conference in Washington today for a “major aviation announcement,” according to a statement yesterday. Sasha Johnson, an FAA spokeswoman, declined to comment on the plans.

The FAA, which regulates safety in the world’s busiest airspace, last year began seeking to link decades-old fatigue rules with scientific research, taking into account issues such as changes across time zones and numbers of takeoffs and landings in a shift. A 1995 effort stalled, with pilots seeking more generous work rules and airlines concerned about costs.

The 1940s-era rules, updated in 1985, let pilots for carriers such as US Airways Group Inc. fly as long as eight hours and limit the overall work day to 16 hours. Under the proposal, pilots would be allowed to fly as long as 10 hours, while the maximum work day would be trimmed to 13 hours, according to the person.

Pilot unions have said the current work rules are too weak because their eight-hour break often includes tasks such as waiting in airport security lines and traveling to hotels, which can leave only a few hours for actual sleep.

‘Badly Need’ Overhaul

“We badly need a new flight and duty-time regulation,” John Prater, president of the 53,000-member Air Line Pilots Association, told a U.S. Senate panel in December.

The FAA began overhauling pilot-rest rules in June 2009, four months after a regional carrier flying for Continental Airlines Inc. crashed near Buffalo, killing 50. The National Transportation Safety Board concluded the pilots’ performances were likely impaired by fatigue, though they couldn’t determine the extent of their tiredness or the role it may have played.

Rebecca Shaw, 24, the co-pilot, had traveled all night from Seattle to Newark, New Jersey, before reporting to work for the flight on Feb. 12, 2009, the NTSB found. Captain Marvin Renslow, 47, commuted from Tampa, Florida, to Newark on Feb. 9 and spent two of three nights before the flight in a crew lounge without beds, the NTSB said.

Renslow “had experienced chronic sleep loss,” the board said in its report, which blamed the crash of the aircraft in Pinnacle Airline Corp.’s Colgan Air unit on his incorrect response to a cockpit stall warning.

The crash prompted a special June 2009 meeting of LaHood, Babbitt, the airlines and unions, on the issue of improving safety at regional airlines. The effort to update the pilot rest rules was announced later that month.

Five months later, the FAA withdrew the attempt begun in 1995, which would have permitted 10 hours of flight time in a 14-hour work day. Industry groups had objected, citing “significant costs,” and unions opposed longer periods in the cockpit, according to the agency.

Anybody stop to think Colgan crashed because the two pilots were in over their heads?

I seem to remember CVR comments about "I've never seen that before" etc.. I never read "boy I'm tired because I slept on the couch."

Gup

What is that article saying. Normal rest is already 9 hours. It makes no sense unless they are saying no reduced rests?

This sounds like crap already

Anybody stop to think Colgan crashed because the two pilots were in over their heads?

I seem to remember CVR comments about "I've never seen that before" etc.. I never read "boy I'm tired because I slept on the couch."

Gup

... And once again the FO has her quote taken completely out of context.

What is that article saying. Normal rest is already 9 hours. It makes no sense unless they are saying no reduced rests?

This sounds like crap already

Under the new and revolutionary rest rules that the FAA and NTSB spent $40 million studying, pilots will now work an absolute maximum of 16 hours a day, with a maximum of 8 hours of flying and a minimum of 9, but reducible to 8, hours of rest. Wait a minute..........

Also, the FAA has recieved an additional $25,000,000 to study fatigue and how to avoid it, even though the NTSB has already figured it out and made recommendations years ago. Now, they just have to make new recommendations that don't involve costing the airlines any additional money.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back