• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New FAA Rest rules are near

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They are tied together, both required rest and ability to perform will be the word of the day.

Allowances will be provided for the dude who's baby is crying all night, who's AC died, etc, but catering to the folks who fly a redeye and show up claiming "I'm rested" is a foul.

Companies will track this and put rules in place which will drive the fatigue call out of existance. How? You call in fatigued, they ask why, you say you commute, they say show up early enough, you continue to commute and remind yourself never call fatigued again. Solved? hardly.

How many careers allow you to commute to work and show up tired? Oh right, none. So yes, move to domicile.

You ever worked in LA? Everyone commutes and must leave earlier and earlier to get to work on time. Leave at 4am to get to work by 7....yeah I was tired all the time, and it wasn't a flying job.

Hi!

How many careers allow you to commute to work and show up tired? Oh right, none. So yes, move to domicile.

I met a guy who's airline changed his domicile (he did NOT bid to change it-it was forced upon him each time!) 9 times in one year.

So if you worked for airline 'A' (not a real airline) and as a junior puke, you could only hold NY, so you move to NY and live in poverty for a while. Then two years later you can get out of NY, and you bid and hold Dallas, where the cost of living is less. A couple of years later, you can hold widebody FO, but only in SFO, so you move to have a better QOL on a better payscale. Now you can hold CA, but only in NY, so you move to NY and have a high cost of living but on a better salary. Now the airline furloughs, you lose your CA seat and go back to widebody FO, take a huge paycut, and have a tough time living in NY. So you move back to SFO. Now the airline announces an SFO base closure, so now you need to move to another base....Get it???

What is your wife and kids doing during all this change???

Oh, I know, according to you, pilots should be single nomads!!!

You are probably a regional dude who doesn't understand this scenario. You have two choices, FO or CA, because the few a/c you have at your company don't pay enough difference to move from a/c to a/c. It's folks like you that can't see the big picture, and make it hard for the profession to advance!!!

Yogi

Wait until you have a house you can't sell, a wife with a better job than you, and kids in school. Then you get displaced to a different domicile. I guess a true professional like yourself will just give the house back to the bank, leave the wife and kids, and move to the new domicile.

Latest resources

Back