new equipment suffixes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
falconpilot said:
We fly a Falcon 100 with a GNS-XLS... RVSM RNP all the bells and whistles... We file Q..

I did too until September 1...are you still able to file that today?

Gezz you guys got me all screwed up now.....

I thought I was a frick'en /Q.

I got to pick up my LOA in TEB on the 7th...I'll ask them!

OK...going to Mexico....use the new FAA suffixes or just go with /W?

Last edited:
falconpilot said:
We fly a Falcon 100 with a GNS-XLS... RVSM RNP all the bells and whistles... We file Q..
I double check that if I were you. It takes more than just having all of the "bells and whistles". Your AFM has to have the appropriate approvals. About the only aircraft that are currently eligible as "/Q" are late model "big" Gulfstreams and Boeing and Airbus stuff. For aircraft like yours and what's his name's Lear 60, you're going to have to wait until the manufacturer issues an appropriate AFM revision or suppliment. Check the NBAA website and some of their airmail threads - I'd bet you lunch that you're actually a "slant L".
'Sled

Last edited:
English said:
OK...going to Mexico....use the new FAA suffixes or just go with /W?
Hey English, you driving or flying? If you're driving you don't need to use any suffixes. :p If you're flying you should use /L even though the FAA has put off the implimentation for a few weeks - some of the air carriers were having problems getting their aircraft in compliance.

'Sled

Last question...filing a Mexican flight plan outbound...will the Mexican controllers have any idea at all about what /L is? These are FAA suffixes and not ICAO, right?. That's why I started wondering if I should do /W back to the states.

English said:
Last question...filing a Mexican flight plan outbound...will the Mexican controllers have any idea at all about what /L is? These are FAA suffixes and not ICAO, right?. That's why I started wondering if I should do /W back to the states.
It's my understanding that these suffixes bring us into compliance with ICAO (Another example of the tail wagging the dog?) but I could be wrong here. I'd file /L both directions - I'm sure they'll let you know if they can't accept /L.

'Sled

Last edited:
Pelican 10 said:
It was finally verified that all UNS 1C users and better can file /Q as long as they are RVSM, UNS 1 C uses GPS as primary for updating and can provide up to RNP 0.3 for approaches and 1.0 for terminal area and 2,0 for enroute.
You also need to have a GPS coverage RAIM program that covers the entire duration of the flight, not merely during the approach AND you must have the appropriate AFM verbage. Just having approved equipment doesn't hack it. Kind'a sort'a like having a RVSM compliant airplane vs. a RVSM LOA.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back