New Delta vs AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wood pecker

While talking to our Delta jumpseater (and missing our radio calls), he had mentioned the idea of the new Delta. This new Delta would be streamlined and a money-maker. He thinks that this new Delta could beat AirTran.

Part of this new Delta would be: @6000 pilots, no 777s, phasing out MD series, no international override or night pay, what ever that is, an the kicker an increase of DCI on the domestic side of the fence while they focus on long haul/international trips. Oh yeah buy lots of Delta stock!

Is this idea possible or were him and my FO messing w/ me b/c I told them I applied to AirTran? I will never talk to a jumpseater again or take candy from them.

Were his fingers crossed when he said, "grow DCI...?"

If he was buying lots of stock, he shouldn't be telling you that if it is true. The key now for him is to paint the darkest picture possible and accumulate. See APA if you have any questions.

wood pecker said:
He thinks that this new Delta could beat AirTran.

For the past three years, Delta has spent themselves into the toilet by trying to "beat us" and "preserve marketshare". It has cost them billions, cost Leo his job, and driven them to possible bankruptcy.

Meanwhile, we have upgraded our fleet, paid off the majority of our debt, and added sevice to 10 new cities, and made money doing it.

Imagine what Delta could have done if they had simply let us have the bottom of the market (the most price-conscious pax) and instead started treating their true customer base better- more reasonable pricing strucure, upgraded and more efficient equipment, etc.

I suspect the outcome would be much different.

I don't know much about a supposed "new Delta" but I rode jumpseat on a 76 the other day to ATL and the Cap. was not very friendly towards me because of the whole "RJ" thing. When I asked what the latest info was he said, "We're cancelling alot of orders right now so you guys can get all those f---ing RJ's." Not only that but he flipped off another ASA RJ because ground told us to pull in behind him and follow him to the RWY. And he knew I was with ASA. I'm currently trying to get on with AirTran myself, or should I say AirTrash, which is what the 76 Cap. referred to them as in ATL. I guess he's scared. He's only got 17 yrs. seniority with 14 yrs. left to work. Man it must be tough.

Sounds like a real professional Captain you met....

Did he put his hands over his ears and blab "la la la la la..." when you thanked him for the ride? I'll bet he has five kids under the age of eight, and fights with them over their toys...

Jumpseater stories. They are often more like a George Lucas movie than based in any reality.

When I read the title to your thread I was thinking about which airline would I rather start at right now. Hands down it's Airtran. To much risk of failure with the senior guys (pilots and management) at Delta. The senior guys at Airtran are stilll thinking about growth and have a good future with little or no changes needed (in the near future) to achieve it. Airtran is where I would want to be in the bottom 10% of hires. Or even the bottom 30%.

According to SB at ASA, you will soon see a "vastly different" Delta/DCI over the next 12 months. That was about all he could tell us because of SEC regulations.

People at Delta Tech ops are hearing that after the pilots take the 1B cut the non-union employees will also take a 1B cut (30%). This will be followed by a massive layoff and outsourcing of anything possible. A family member of mine at DAL is already exploring other maintenance options for DAL aircraft. 737-200 and MD-80/90 gone. Pass privileges and other benefits changed. August 26 is the announcement day.(also heard Sept 1st) That’s all I could get out of him because of SEC insider trading rules.

Guys don't be too short sided. The love of flying aside, did we all get in this industry so we could work for middle income wages? Sure, things are tough, and a few airlines are keeping their heads above water, but aren't those the same airlines that most of us would not have chosen to worked for before 9/11. When your buddies were getting on at AA and United, were you just as proud then to say you were getting on at Valuejet/Airtran? I doubt then you thought it as a final career stop. You wanted the pay and quality of life that went with a major airline pilot.

Sure, there are alot of disgruntled pilots at alot of these majors. And I do believe they should rechannel their anger at these lesser airlines and start bending over backwards and going the extra mile to make sure their profession as well as their way and quality of life survives. Time to start doing what we can to put back the quality and professional standards that used to separate a major airline from a low cost carrier. You can either go the extra mile and fight for the profession you dreamed of as a kid, or you can accept the mediocre positions that are becoming available.

Latest resources

Back