• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Delta Capacity Cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think there will be furloughs at either DAL or NWA - here is why. Yes, you will see older 767s and 757s from both companies hit the hot sandy place as they come due for HMVs - that is a fact. I have seen number from 8 - 20 total planes on the block and that sucks.
I have also seen a lot of traffic across leagal's desk (so to speak) about the NWA retirement. I know it is frozen or whatever, but it is roughly 30 million plus a year to keep it funded and running. Don't you think mgmt would love to stop paying that? Don't you think they would love to work a deal so 300-500 of the highest paid NWA guys would retire? How do you think they could do that I wonder? Answer: Try to do the same thing to the NWA guys retirement as they did to the DAL pilots. Give them a take it now OR see what comes of it after we do whatever.
It sucks, but it is being looked at.
So - if 300-500 guys retire no need to furlough. If the company had plans to furlough, why would they have just strengthend the bit about removing 6 seats from the 76 barbie jets if anyone is furloughed?
Sit tight - wait and see. No need to panic just yet. There is enough of that going around everwhere else.

I don't think there will be furloughs at either DAL or NWA - here is why. Yes, you will see older 767s and 757s from both companies hit the hot sandy place as they come due for HMVs - that is a fact. I have seen number from 8 - 20 total planes on the block and that sucks.
I have also seen a lot of traffic across leagal's desk (so to speak) about the NWA retirement. I know it is frozen or whatever, but it is roughly 30 million plus a year to keep it funded and running. Don't you think mgmt would love to stop paying that? Don't you think they would love to work a deal so 300-500 of the highest paid NWA guys would retire? How do you think they could do that I wonder? Answer: Try to do the same thing to the NWA guys retirement as they did to the DAL pilots. Give them a take it now OR see what comes of it after we do whatever.
It sucks, but it is being looked at.
So - if 300-500 guys retire no need to furlough. If the company had plans to furlough, why would they have just strengthend the bit about removing 6 seats from the 76 barbie jets if anyone is furloughed?
Sit tight - wait and see. No need to panic just yet. There is enough of that going around everwhere else.

There will be furloughs in Sep. Only an economic miracle will prevent them.

I think the General has real talent for airline mgmt. Just consider his qualifications:

-He is an ass.
-He is totally pompus.
-He has absolutely no idea how the economy works, or why.
-He obviously drinks a lot-judging from the lucidity of his posts here.
-He is a total ego-maniacal sociopath.
-He molests small farm animals......

-A real straight-shooter with "upper-management written all over him."

-Gen Lee-I think we have offically figured out something you would be good at. Upper management has absolutely no requirement for knowledge, skill of any type, or a conscience.

-You would be a perfect fit!

Your passive-aggressive man-crush is starting to show. Seriously, you're obsessed.

There will be furloughs in Sep. Only an economic miracle will prevent them.

While the recent 76 seat capitulation/NFC is toothless, the financial impediment of the CPZ flow, and taking 6 seats out of ALL 76 seater's after ~ #450 is not.

Between implementing trip rig, training waterfalls,etc and offers of voluntary leaves, etc, we might avoid furloughs.

For the previous poster - fNWA pensions are completely self-funded. Terminating those would not be saving an expense, but STEALING money.

This pull down will not result in furloughs. The last displacements planned for this if we decided not to do it, we would have had a reinstatement.
DAL is about 150~ or so pilot fat going in to the summer
Post SOC the joint company will be about 160~ or so short.

This pull down will not result in furloughs. The last displacements planned for this if we decided not to do it, we would have had a reinstatement.

Well that made my day.

You post completely opposite sentiments on a DAILY basis between here and ALPC...Guess you can't be wrong that way.
"Yeah can't see how we can't furlough".. "No we won't here's why" "Yeah end of this week we'll see more #s"..
It's okay to NOT know...since obviously you don't...stop toying with people because you get some absurd sense of importance by pretending to be in the know. Shut it already

This is a big cut. They decided that there was just not enough of a load to warrant keeping the lift for the Fall Quarter. After picking through the power point and the 8K it might be more of a frequency and gauge reduction. Now they cannot do a ton of this in overseas markets, so I see some sort of staffing shift. The benefit is that the CVG 767 base is now an ER base. They can transition then to all domestic flying if need be. That would save a lot of the ER catagory from displacement. That would equate to a bigger cut on the 767 domestic catagory. This could be done in ATL, SLC or LAX. Just a guess.
The bennifits are that there is a good amount of metal showing up in the next 12-24 months. Much of this will pick up the overstaffing.
I would be very surprised if we got though this without any furloughs. I would not be surprised to see 200-300 furloughs. That said it is only a guess. We still have the CPS flow in place. This equates to a lot of excess money to be spent. It is the best furlough protection there is. Post SOC we were looking to be slightly understaffed to adequately staffed. The managers will need to run the metric on this to determine if they need to make the cuts. This is a huge pull down, but furloughing may not give them justifiable gains to do so.

Originally Posted by ACL65PILOT
This pull down will not result in furloughs.

This is a revised estimate, ACL? Are you saying we will not furlough this Fall, but may furlough after that?

I'm thinking (hoping) his first reaction he was shooting from the hip and now he's seen the numbers and/or talked to someone "in the know."

Well this is from a very credible source.
I called for clarification base on what I was told three months ago.
If you look at what I posted I said we were right on the ragged line. Being that closely staffed is just that.
These are good numbers. I double checked it after I was told it.
From what I was told, the last displacement took this in to account. If they decided not to do it, they would have had a reinstatement bid. Now they will not.
It will be a small bid for the jets coming on line later this year and early next year, in late summer to early fall.

And here is what I posted late yesterday.

If they take more off of one list than the other, it will get ugly.
But lets all take a step back. What and how they will do this has yet to be determined. Also, Sept is a long way off, things could be a lot better or worse by then.
FWIW they are still stating no furloughs yet. I would not see them cut anyone before fall anyway.

I did say that I would not be surprised with a furlough of 200-300. Well, for this time there is not a need. Now they are not planning another pull down, but if there is one, you will probably see one.
What this also means is that once the economy starts to grow we are going to need pilots and fairly quickly.

Furthermore, those 76 seat jets have not been the money makers that they hoped for. The most profitable jets in the fleet are the 9 and 88.

Latest resources

Back