New Cargo Company

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waspe

Hi, I am very new to Planes, and Air freight. I was wonderin if you guys had any tips, and could possibly anwser a few questions. What is a good efficent cargo plane? I heard the MD-11 was pretty good, with good fuel efficientcy and a decent cargo hold.

We are looking for a cargo planes that has a good fuel to cargo ratio, and that can take off on a pretty short airstrip if need be (not necessary but good), also a cargo plane that can dropp goods out (with parachute).

Also, wht types of pilots should we look for? To me there really isn't a difference as long as they have the certifications.

With cargo shipping is there minimum and maximum hours a pilot can fly?

Also, we will probably try to get some very good technicians to modify the planes a bit, depending on what exactly we need.

Do most air freight companies park at an International airport, or national airport, depending on there shipping needs, or do they have there own airstrip? What is better for a starting company?

Where do freight companies get the shipping contracts? It seems it is all about networking within the air fregith business, but there is a site or something I dont' know.

How amny planes should a starting compnay have, I was thinking 1, and then work my way up, but will we be competitive with just 1, in the beginning?

How much down time is needed on a plane for repairs? I know you need to check the plane after every flight, about how long does that take? and how often do we have to put it in the hanger and do a full check up?

Whats the average shippment payout? I know it depends on what your shipping and how much of what your shipping, but please, just give me a few numbers to play with.

Thank you all for your time
Thank You

Em.. no this is Not Don Carty. However, I am interested in making a air freight company, and could use your help.

Sounds like a terrorist asking questions to get some "inside" info on the air cargo business. That or were dealing with someone below the age of 12, because these are some of the most ridiculous questions I have heard from anyone that would have the resources to fund the kind of operation that is being outlined.

Sorry there waspe, but your questions are pretty uninformed even if your intent is to be a "cargo freight owner" as your profile states.

Last edited:
Well, I am 16. However, I have ways of getting money and stuff to finance all this, when I get old enough. However, I can see how my questions are general, but they aren't rideculous. You do need to know this stuff to be a Air Freight owner, and this stuff, isn't just on the shelves at your local public library either.

Also, I would say a terrorist would be probably more informed then I, because, he would know where to get the planes, he wouldn't need to find out where cargo planes are kept on airstrips or international airports, because he would probably get a cargo plane with a long range, and a decent size, to fill with explosives, and the long range for both gasoline to fuel the fire and because he wouldn't want to land at a International airport and get caught. He also wouldn't care about how many hours a pilot is supposed to fly, or how to make contracts, or what a sample payout is.

I want to know all this stuff because in the US you need to figure out what your going to do for the rest of your life at a young age. So i need to explore different ways to make a living. Shipping seems very very versatile. You get the normal shipping from place to place, but you can also, setup companies in conjuction with the shipping company. There is very high over head, but if your practically tripling your money with each run, I can definately see the benefits.

It will take a lot of planning on my account, and the starting cas, I am a bit worried about but, I think, I can get it, I need to take to a few kids at school about it though.

So you may think it is impossible for a 16 year old to actually do all of this, but it might work out, or it could just be a phase like all my other ideas. However, I won't give up until I find it all, so you might as well humor me =). You never know, maybe one day, I will be the biggest air freighters in the business =)

Last edited:
Well follow your dreams kid, but you going to have to work pretty hard. First off your going to have to learn to spell, type or a combination of both. We are all not perfect, and we all make mistakes but your basic skills definitely need improvement.

By the way, the answer to a lot of your questions IS in the library. It's called trade publications, specifically Aviation Week & Space Technology. Additionally information on different types of airplanes and their specifications is available in Jane's All The World's Aircraft. This is no big secret. When I was sixteen I was well acquainted with all of this and a whole lot more.

Anyone with a few molecules of brain matter and a desire can find this information.

Good luck kid, if that's what you are because your definitely gonna need it. You still sound like a terrorist.

Now that we know more about you, I encourage you to follow your dreams. I can understand the others being doubtful, but don't ever give up. Some of the most successful people in this country never gave up.
Its not an easy road, but you'll always have questions if you don't try.
Maybe we'll read about you in one of those "Success Stories" articles in the Wall Street Journal.
Just remember that if it doesn't hsppen, your worl will still turn.
Good Luck.

I got all this from an other site:

Start by going to your local Flight Standards District Office and tell them of your plans. They will let you know what you need to start either a 14 CFR Part 135 or 121 operation. Just a few of the things you will need:

-Approved facilities for pilot training (you can contract this out, for an MD11 I would guess about $10,000 per pilot every six months, if not more)

-Maintenance facilities (I can't even imagine what a hangar and supplies cost for a large aircraft)

-A basic office

Some of the people you would need to hire (specific information about their qualifications can be found in FAR part 119)

-Director of Operations
-Chief Pilot
-Director of Maintenance
-Dispatchers
-Mechanics (more than you think you need)
-Pilots (average of ten pilots per aircraft to comply with time and duty requirements set forth by the FAA)

This isn't even the tip of the iceberg. For most people who get into the air frieght business, they start with a personally financed smaller aircraft and operate it on some one elses Air Carrier Certificate.

How much do all those people usually get paid?

And whats the rest of the iceburg?

Also any idea how much the large hanger would cost?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back