Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New ATP Written Requirements, (what people are missing)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slick1

I think we're all aware that taking the ATP written after July 31, 2014 is going to become a lot more difficult. But I have yet to see anyone key in on this little dagger, buried down deep at the bottom of the FAA's Advisory Circular: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-138.pdf

If you look at Section 19 B, (see below) you'll find that prior to taking the ATP written test, an applicant will be required to complete an approved ATP training course, including a requirement to have 4 hours of training in an FTD AND 6 hours of training in an FFS, ("Full Flight Simultor"), Level C or higher having a minimum MTOW OF 40,000 POUNDS.

Clearly the CRJ and ERJ regionals can incorporate some of that training in their standard new hire training program. But what about the Dash-8-100/200, Saab, EMB-120, and 1900D operators? This is REALLY gonna make it hard for them to recruit pilots.

Section 19 b. states: "FFS.[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A Level C or higher FFS qualified under part 60 is required. As part of the evaluation of the FFS training topics and learning objectives, the FAA reviewed all of the approved FFSs under part 60 including the associated weights of the aircraft they represent. Based on that review, the FAA has determined an FFS representing an aircraft with a maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) of at least 40,000 pounds is necessary to meet the objectives of the ATP CTP."
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Clearly the CRJ and ERJ regionals can incorporate some of that training in their standard new hire training program. But what about the Dash-8-100/200, Saab, EMB-120, and 1900D operators? This is REALLY gonna make it hard for them to recruit pilots.

That is addressed in 14 CFR Sec. 61.156(c):

Deviation authority. The Administrator may issue deviation authority from the weight requirement in paragraph (b)(1) of this section upon a determination that the objectives of the training can be met in an alternative device.

You can bet that those operators will apply for, and most likely be given, deviations.

Instead of ridiculous and irrelevant requirements like these, the FAA should have improved the flt and duty time regulations to include a rest period not less than the previous duty...and applied it to the freight industry as well....the FAA have no issues when it comes to increasing the cost for pilots, but the industry is a whole other matter...and safety take a back seat to all of it...

Instead of ridiculous and irrelevant requirements like these, the FAA should have improved the flt and duty time regulations to include a rest period not less than the previous duty...and applied it to the freight industry as well....the FAA have no issues when it comes to increasing the cost for pilots, but the industry is a whole other matter...and safety take a back seat to all of it...

In the words of R. Lee Ermey; "Well, no sh!t" The FAA is fraudulently tasked with both the "safety of the industry" and the "profitable promotion of the industry" a complete conflict of interest... Those that paid got what they wanted,,, the freight paid more than the pax....

I have a question ...

As I scanned a few profiles on Airline Pilot Central, I noticed a few had notes that said a new hire would receive their ATP with a PIC Type Rating in aircraft XYZ?

With the upcoming 1 August 14 change to the ATP, I think it's wonderful the FAR 121 Airlines are providing this level of training to new hires.

Please do not misunderstand the intent of the following ...

I see that the minimums for new hires are in the 1200-1500 TT with the ATP Knowledge Test complete. Unless I am misunderstanding FAR 121 type rating qualifications, that training has to be done from the left seat and pass the same oral we all did when we were issued a type rating.

From this kid's vantage point, that is quite a big piece of 'chaw' to manage as a new hire and at that experience level. Maybe the folks coming up now are ready for a PIC TurboJet/TurboProp type rating at 1500 hours at the FAR 121 level.

So, the question is, will the new hire FO after earning a PIC Type Rating have to do right seat training and pass another PC?

Color me confused and ignorant ...

The only extra required training one has to do to be PIC typed, that is on top of normal FO training, is making the guy taxi the airplane with the tiller and a left seat landing. That's it....

For the Feds to allow that guy to be a CAPTAIN, he must do upgrade/captain training as per the FAA approved program at each airline.

Latest resources

Back