Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never been denied!

furloughfodder said:
That is why you see Atlas guys getting denied the jumpseat now-a-days.

Don't you wish, I jumpseat quite frequently on all carriers, and NEVER had a problem, but have been asked "what's up with Polar?" while jumpseating on the other airlines. I just tell them "Don't ask!"

jercdevil said:
One Word (Challenge Air Cargo) Nuff said

Well, let's see here, jercdevil...

Were Challenge pilots on strike? Did they have a picket line? If my memory serves me correctly, I don't believe so. So, I see we have apples and oranges here. What UPS does when it ACQUIRES a company, the IPA has no control or input. I wasn't on property when that transaction went down, but what I have learned is that IPA did ask UPS to hire those pilots. We can't tell them to hire anyone. It is their choice.

If you were at Challenge, I'm sorry things didn't work out that way.

B747FR8DAWG said:
Don't you wish, I jumpseat quite frequently on all carriers, and NEVER had a problem, but have been asked "what's up with Polar?" while jumpseating on the other airlines. I just tell them "Don't ask!"

Interesting, I've had the same experience. I can't count the number of times, on the Itawan bus, I've had conversations started by other crews asking the same question.

Another interesting point to make is, the Polar crews fully expected Atlas to do illegal work action (wildcat strike) in support of their strike. They wanted us to stop flying our planes and our contracts. The same situation as UPS, FedEx and NW were in, but it was OK for them, not for Atlas. Yet they have FE's "illegally" fired and a bunch of folks furloughed "wrongly" yet no action in defense of their own people. Makes you go, Hummmm.

furloughfodder said:
Atlas was the primary reason for the demise of the Polar strike effort, even though cfire will deny it until the end. Why do you think he is always so defensive?

Sorry, the blame games ends at your MEC Chair. Your strike was doomed on DAY 3 of the Cooling Off period, when he went running to Erickson and accepted the 10.5% raise to stop the transfer of planes. Only problem was, he needed the other two MEC there to make it legal....ops.

From Air Cargo World

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boeing, Atlas Seen Nearing a Deal[/FONT]
Boeing was reported close to announcing two major new widebody freighter deals, one with cargo airlines operator Atlas Air Worldwide and another with a company that would lease the equipment to fleets.
Both Boeing and Atlas declined comment on the reports. Atlas, which owns both the charter and wet lease carrier Atlas Air and scheduled freighter airline Polar Air Cargo, already bills itself as the largest fleet of 747 freighters.
It recently grounded some older 747-200s to leave Polar using only the more efficient 747-400 model, but still has -200s in the charter fleet.
Atlas, however, had said Aug. 14 in its latest earnings announcement that it was close to unveiling an order for new-era freighters. It also halted plans to build its fleet with 747-400 conversion freighters, saying the more efficient new-era models still being developed would be a better fit for Atlas in the future.
That prompted questions at the time that Atlas would go for Boeing's 747-8 model. Now, reports say, Atlas is close to locking in 12 of them.
Another buyer would reportedly order a mix of -8s and 777 freighters

Looks like the 747-400BCF's are a no go in favor of 747-8's.:beer:

What about 777's?

Whale Rider said:
Looks like the 747-400BCF's are a no go in favor of 747-8's.:beer:

I heard the same thing recently, no go on the 747-400BCF's, not sure why. I just hope with this potential plane purchase, the company orders a couple of 777 Freighters also!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back