• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Atlas/Polar Birds on the way!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The news release isn't really breaking news. Erickson was talking about the fleet modernization about a month before he left. Flynn only carried it on when he replaced him. So it's been around for a couple of months at least.

My bet is 777's first with a maybe on a few -800's down the road. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Rgardless, AAWH will get smaller before it gets any new equipment. The classics will continue to be donated to the competition.

"Flynn said the company is trying to dispose of seven older 747s...'

AAWH will be getting smaller, and since they have no orders in yet (for anything) they will have to get in line. I would guess the earliest you might see new equipment on the property is 2009, maybe 2010.

In the meantime expect furloughs on the Atlas side of the fence in 2007.

furloughfodder said:
"Flynn said the company is trying to dispose of seven older 747s...'

AAWH will be getting smaller, and since they have no orders in yet (for anything) they will have to get in line. I would guess the earliest you might see new equipment on the property is 2009, maybe 2010.
I believe they are planning to put newer A/C on as they retire the older ones. At least that is their latest chant. I guess we will see in time.

It is possible to buy someone elses options/orders. There are a couple of companies out their suffering a little now that the increased debt may not be of great benefit to their bottom line in their current economic situation.

In the meantime expect furloughs on the Atlas side of the fence in 2007.
Considering a recent manning report for planned block hours, we are currently short about 14 -400 captains and about twice that of F/O's on the -400 side. I don't remember what we were short on the -200 side, but we are short there also. So involuntary extensions will continue. We have had attrition due to retirements and guys leaving because of being based in STN. I imagine Atlas is not hiring due to the current arbitration over the termination of the Polar FE's and the merger arbitration between Atlas and Polar. Management has said as much, but you can only take what they say very lightly. Truth is a rare commodity with them, but they use it when it's to their advantage.

Considering previous predictions the Polar group have made in the past, I don't expect your predicted furlough at Atlas in 2007 is going to hold much if any water in the end. It does make for good retaliatory rhetoric. Seems to be a popular comment on the Polar side of the equation lately. I guess Bobb Henderson has mandated that it be spread around.

why would atlas buy the 777 or a380? neither have a front loading cargo door so the ability to carry oversized cargo is nil. that would hurt more than help

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back