• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New ASA/XJT JCBA rumor....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you for your response. Maybe it would be helpful to know the seniority of all those who post a pro/con about PBS. I haven't spoken with anyone junior at ASA who has tried to promote your PBS yet. So enuff and speed, what % are you bidding at ASA?

300ish of about 310 line holders on the 200. LOVE PBS!!! Was at first against it, now love it. Never want to line bid. That puts me in the bottom 10% of lineholders. You can debunk that myth that pbs is only for the senior!

mcpickle, what is it that smartpref does better than flightline? Specifically, why isn't flightline acceptable to the XJT side.

He wont answer! I have asked him pointblank questions as to what the problem with flightline is, and how exactly on bidding system enhances ones qol over another........got nothing!!!

300ish of about 310 line holders on the 200. LOVE PBS!!! Was at first against it, now love it. Never want to line bid. That puts me in the bottom 10% of lineholders. You can debunk that myth that pbs is only for the senior!

Good to hear from someone junior. What changed your mind about PBS? What are the things you like and don't like about it being at your seniority?

experimenting with an unused, unwanted, untested, somewhat unexplained, practically unsupported product would be extremely risky and foolish. It appears to me that the XJT guys mainly are looking for any way to drag their feet, in order to keep their current line-bidding for as long as possible. That seems pretty short-sighted to me.

That's the problem. Your MEC refuses to do ANY test or explain ANYTHING. Why is that?

By the way, if the contract is not at least as good as status quo, why would we vote for it? It was your MEC that dragged their feet with smartpref and it was your MEC who was reluctant to engage when the company said they wanted a TA in 90 days.

Junior on the 200 CA side and love PBS, more days off and more weekends or partial weekends off!!!!

Thanks for the info. What % do you bid? Do you have an opportunity to trade for more weekends off or better trips from open time if you don't like what you're awarded?

Besides vaca low, when using pbs, I can set up my schedule in a way line bid never did. Line bid was always the same days, i.e Thur-Sun, or Tue-Fri each week. I can put in prefs to work thur-sun one week, then a three day the next week wed-fri, then Mon-Thur, maybe bid 6-8 days off and put a two day at the end. I can tell it I only want 5 legs or less with 16 hour overnights. I can ask for early duty in's one week, and late duty in's the next. I build it how I like. With line bids, I have to look over 4-6 pairing on every line and find the line that most suits my needs. Maybe I'll never find that combination I'm wanting because the pairings are pre-set on those lines by the company. With pbs, I'm picking them out and setting them how I like. Heck, I even tagged two pairings for my schedule at my seniority level. Not to mention with vaca low, I had 25 days off in a row.

Besides vaca low, when using pbs, I can set up my schedule in a way line bid never did. Line bid was always the same days, i.e Thur-Sun, or Tue-Fri each week. I can put in prefs to work thur-sun one week, then a three day the next week wed-fri, then Mon-Thur, maybe bid 6-8 days off and put a two day at the end. I can tell it I only want 5 legs or less with 16 hour overnights. I can ask for early duty in's one week, and late duty in's the next. I build it how I like. With line bids, I have to look over 4-6 pairing on every line and find the line that most suits my needs. Maybe I'll never find that combination I'm wanting because the pairings are pre-set on those lines by the company. With pbs, I'm picking them out and setting them how I like. Heck, I even tagged two pairings for my schedule at my seniority level. Not to mention with vaca low, I had 25 days off in a row.

It sounds like you have a lot of flexibility as a bidder in the bottom 10%. Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't you have very few pairings to choose from at your seniority thus limiting your schedule flexibility? I thought that's how a seniority based PBS worked. Are there opportunities to trade with open time if you don't like a trip or days you were awarded?

You would think that, and I wonder too at times. There is very limited trading opportunites. There is hardly any open time, but I think that is more fair because less guys are on reserve that way. Instead of leaving a lot of pairings in open time, those trips make more lines.

You have to remember, pbs is a whole different way of doing things. Instead of a sweet trip going to a pilots line that has vaca or training and then gets dropped into open time for everyone to fight over at some prescribed day or time on a feeding frenzy, those trips never get assigned to said pilot and therefore are available to others down the line on the first try. Those trips that fall to me may have been assigned onto some senior guys line, and then dropped. I may not ever have my chance to see it or request it under line bidding/open time. In pbs, I can now get that trip assigned to me.

Latest resources

Back