• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Alaska Negotiations Thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not demanding Retro basically says to management its OK to stretch out a deal as long as possible because it does not cost us anything!

Fujiwhatever,

I don't live my life in fear. If you lie awake at night and shiver at the thought of the big bad Ayer, then by all means accept whatever your masters are willing to give you.

I'm taking a little firmer stance than you. I have the intestinal fortitude to look a bit longer into the future than todays headlines. I'm not signing another crappy deal for 10 years. I don't want to strike but I'll be out of here like a rocket if the time comes...scabs or not.

For Bill and Brad's sake, I just hope whatever scabs they find are bigger and meaner than I am.

How many furloughees at American are looking for a job and not already flying for Netjets or some other entity? Would they leave that to be a scum-of-the-earth scab for a bottom-feeder like Alaska? "Gee, I want to be a pariah for the rest of my life and fly a piece of crap 737 for the rest of my natural life." I'm sure there are tons of those folks out there. Even if they find people with time in type, they haven't been Captains. Who is going to give them OE?

Ocity,

You think the fact that Alaska can replace us all in a matter of two weeks with qualified airline pilots currently on furlough AND has $1.1B in the bank to do it with is irrelevant?

Do you also think the fact that U.S. in currently in the worst economic recession since the '30s is irrelevant?

Nothing happens in a vacuum, my friend. Perhaps an unemotional look at the contract when it comes out coupled with an honest appraisal of the overall economic landscape would serve you (us!) better than screeching "No retro, no big raise, NO VOTE!"
Personally, I'd be pretty surprised and impressed if our management was good enough to round up 1400 scabs, and train them to FAA standards, etops, southeast, arctic, and have them on the line in one month...which is about the maximum amount of time the airline can sustain a lack of any revenue with 1.1 in the bank. Oh, and thats assuming shareholders stay put and the board doesn't fire everyone.
Yes the economy is weak, and in this economy our company is making $$. So they can afford to share the wealth. Can you imagine what our profits will be in a good economy?
So let me unemotionally screetch...No retro, no big raise, NO VOTE!

For the scabs

In our next contract I propose that if we have to strike to get a raise then any scabs that keep their job after the strike are on a permanent Kasher pay scale. Talk it up!

i was told by a knowledgeable source that the MEC went to the FAA and were told that ANY new pilot regardless of type ratings or 121 status would have to complete the entire (mind numbing long/2 month plus) alaska ops spec approved program...no shortcuts from the feds....there is no way the feds would sign off on a short program and risk an accident...they could care less about the company.....and they have to "be trained by an alaska check airman"...some of which may be living their own dream but some of which are ready to bust out the slippy fist........

Last edited:
Fubi,

You are in a state of near panic. Walk away from things for a little while (especially this site and the ALPA boards) and clear your head. DO NOT continue to post in this state. You are not doing anyone any good, including yourself.

Try and relax....resolution is coming.

Latest resources

Back