• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Working on CASS Approval?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B19. I have over 8000 hours in Northwest DC9s and they are all configured the same. That old autopilot can't be certified for Cat III, but we did get to fly Cat IIs down to 1200' RVR. Interestingly enough, in the A320 we weren't allowed to do a manual landing for CatIIs even though we could and did on the DC9. Both Cat IIs and IIIs on the bus had to be autolanded. Standardization not only within fleets, but wherever possible across fleets, has always been a big part of NWA's safety culture.

This thread has jumped the track. Boys..... a 121 jumpseat generally belongs to the Captain.

Pilots share a common quality. They accept responsibility (at least with respect to their job). And that responsibility is huge. This is a tie that binds.

My jumpseat is available to any comrade who shares the same job. I don't give a crap who big your plane is, how much you make, where you go or much about you. So long as I believe you uphold my profession I will extend to you the professional courtesy of my jumpseat with no expectation of a quid pro quo.

Regards,

caseyd

I think I'd like to share either a cockpit or a beer with you.

Cheers my friend.:beer:

This thread has jumped the track. Boys..... a 121 jumpseat generally belongs to the Captain.

Pilots share a common quality. They accept responsibility (at least with respect to their job). And that responsibility is huge. This is a tie that binds.

My jumpseat is available to any comrade who shares the same job. I don't give a crap who big your plane is, how much you make, where you go or much about you. So long as I believe you uphold my profession I will extend to you the professional courtesy of my jumpseat with no expectation of a quid pro quo.

Regards,

caseyd

A 121 jumpseat belongs to the company and the captain administrates it. You seem to ignore the long list of patrons that are legal to be on the jumpseat that uphold the profession. Your intentions are honorable, yet a little misguided. It's why CASS was developed and why interchange agreements are so important.

A 121 jumpseat belongs to the company and the captain administrates it. You seem to ignore the long list of patrons that are legal to be on the jumpseat that uphold the profession. Your intentions are honorable, yet a little misguided. It's why CASS was developed and why interchange agreements are so important.

Misguided is the most tame allegation I have endured of late.... guilty as charged :) Allow me to clarify. If the law allows (a certain amount of wiggle room here) and company policy permits (read: wide variety) you are welcome to request my jumpseat. Said request will be granted. Period (subject to the conditions of a previous post). If steerage is full then we have the whole TSA CASS hurdle which we ignore at the peril of further regulation. So it can't be ignored. I think interchange agreements should be executed. And I think pilots should present themselves with the request only when it is appropriate (saving some rich guy $89 does not qualify, even if you get half the savings).

At the risk of stealing a phrase, we are one. We who ply the skies.

caseyd

And, once again, Netjets pilots DO NOT WANT ACCESS TO A 121 JUMPSEAT. CASS approval for Netjets (and all fractionals for that matter) is about getting through security without wasting TSA's time and effort on vetted crewmembers that POSE NO SECURITY THREAT.

And, once again, Netjets pilots DO NOT WANT ACCESS TO A 121 JUMPSEAT. CASS approval for Netjets (and all fractionals for that matter) is about getting through security without wasting TSA's time and effort on vetted crewmembers that POSE NO SECURITY THREAT.

How will this be affected by the TSA mandate that all crewmembers not on official company business be screened by security?

When I am a nonrev, I am supposed to get screened by security if I am an off-duty passenger in the cabin. No using my uniform and SIDA badge to bypass security.

So a Net Jets pilot is on a commercial flight, not a crewmember of XYZ Airline though, but may be on their company's business. Sounds like a potential gray area.

I was told in recurrent last week that as soon as we have CASS approval that NJ pilots will be able to park plane side when airlining to work. Our CASS credentials will come with window stickers similar to the old DOD decals that will allow us ramp side access to park our personal vehicles between the fuel and tug ground support equipment. This will allow us to completely bypass the TSA and enter the aircraft through the jet bridge stairs versus terminal entrance. The airlines are going to have to paint gold boxes on the pavement where NJ crew members are to park their POV's. I think the limit is two per gate. They are still working out the details of having the airline wash our vehicles while we're gone. More to come soon.

When I am a nonrev, I am supposed to get screened by security if I am an off-duty passenger in the cabin. No using my uniform and SIDA badge to bypass security.

So a Net Jets pilot is on a commercial flight, not a crewmember of XYZ Airline though, but may be on their company's business. Sounds like a potential gray area.

Please explain to me how this is any different than being an airline pilot deadheading on duty, on a carrier other than your own. Time your time please. BTW when we ride on the airlines we are not commuting on our own time; we are on duty.

Latest resources

Back