Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
O

Otto Coarsen

Ok I've been doing searches, but can't seem to find the imput I'm looking for.

I'm a Dash-8 Capt at Mesa right now. I've been in this seat for about a year and a half. I HATE Mesa life and am pretty much burned on 121 completely. I've been at 2 121 carriers, 135 single pilot stuff like caravan freight and 402's at Cape Air. MOST of my friends from past jobs are at Frac-Corporate jobs and are MUCH happier than me.

So...... I put out my feelers and contacted friends at NJA, FJ, and CS. I live in Denver and have a Family here so I don't really want to move. With that said CS and NJA seem to work better.

I have a thick NJA application sitting here in front of me and I'm feeling pretty good about filling it out but have some concerns.

1 - Salary... It says FOs get 28,000 to start? Is it typical to make more through overtime etc.? Also No per diem right? Just expense things via credit card?

2 - Schedule... It explains several different schedule options like 7 on 7 off, 17 day duty 4/3? Typically, in 1 month how many days can I expect to be home?

3 - Current situation... I'm a union guy and I'd never want to compromise a union's attempt at bettering QOL over there for you guys. Would coming on board now hurt the negotiations? Is there a good chance of strike in the near future?

4 - Eqpt and Upgrade... Can a new hire go to any equipment? Approximately what is the upgrade time?

Thanks so much for your replies. I really need to decide whether about a 12,000 dollar pay cut is worth it for QOL.

Hi -

1. Salary is $27,000 to start. $1.60/hr per diem. $19/hr overtime. If you fly a lot on a tour, you will not spend any of the per diem because of the crew food we get on the road. Overtime generally is for each hour before 8am on your first day of a tour, and over 12 hrs any day. At the interview, they'll tell you that per diem averages $5000/yr and overtime the same, so they'll tell you that you'll be really making about $37,000/yr. I don't know what your 401k situation is like at Mesa, but here it's a 50% match up to 15% of earnings. That was 2.5x what my last company provided, and added into my decision.

2. You'll be on the 17-day schedule to start. We were told that we could expect 7-7 within 2 quarters. Ain't happening. That said, I came from 121 where I had to commute, and I'm home a LOT more than I was there. Airlining 1st and last day always with a paid ticket is awesome.

3. Some will tell you that new hires will hurt negotiations - I don't see it that way. You have to remember that seniority in any unionized aviation job is everything. Act accordingly.

4. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what aircraft people are assigned. Some are given a choice of x, y, or z airplanes, others are told which aircraft they're going into. If you are offered the job, find out which aircraft they're offering you. If there's a choice, great. If not, and you'd prefer a different aircraft, ask them for it and be ready to turn them down if you don't get it. Seems they're having trouble filling classes right now, so you should be able to get a better aircraft if you hold out. I wish someone had told me this when I was making this decision.

Forget about upgrade for quite a long time. The most junior upgrades in the Ultra are (realistically) about 2 yrs+, and that won't last.

Ultra Grump said:
Forget about upgrade for quite a long time. The most junior upgrades in the Ultra are (realistically) about 2 yrs+, and that won't last.

Negative, number 2008 was awarded Ultra upgrade last week. Thats a Feb 2005 hire date.

Ultra Grump said:
Hi -

1. Salary is $27,000 to start. $1.60/hr per diem. $19/hr overtime. If you fly a lot on a tour, you will not spend any of the per diem because of the crew food we get on the road. Overtime generally is for each hour before 8am on your first day of a tour, and over 12 hrs any day. At the interview, they'll tell you that per diem averages $5000/yr and overtime the same, so they'll tell you that you'll be really making about $37,000/yr. I don't know what your 401k situation is like at Mesa, but here it's a 50% match up to 15% of earnings. That was 2.5x what my last company provided, and added into my decision.

2. You'll be on the 17-day schedule to start. We were told that we could expect 7-7 within 2 quarters. Ain't happening. That said, I came from 121 where I had to commute, and I'm home a LOT more than I was there. Airlining 1st and last day always with a paid ticket is awesome.

3. Some will tell you that new hires will hurt negotiations - I don't see it that way. You have to remember that seniority in any unionized aviation job is everything. Act accordingly.

4. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what aircraft people are assigned. Some are given a choice of x, y, or z airplanes, others are told which aircraft they're going into. If you are offered the job, find out which aircraft they're offering you. If there's a choice, great. If not, and you'd prefer a different aircraft, ask them for it and be ready to turn them down if you don't get it. Seems they're having trouble filling classes right now, so you should be able to get a better aircraft if you hold out. I wish someone had told me this when I was making this decision.

Sounds like heaven.

The good news is, once you get hired you can come back here and b!tch about how bad they're f*cking you over.

I think you can figure on making around $32,000 your first year.

The upgrade question is tricky. Under normal circumstances you would not be able to hold a captain position in any airplane for probably 2 years but the pilot group has been asking all pilots not to bid the current ultra or 400XP so that the most junior pilot on the seniority list could bid it therefore granting every pilot senior to him/her captains pay.
So although you might not get the captain slot you will hopefully get the captain pay. Thats realy all thats important.
If you are hoping for the PIC time it will most likely be a while but if you want the pay then hopefully it will come within a few months of arriving on property.

As always, make sure you know what you are getting into. NJA is very different from what you have been doing. Im not saying it is better or worse, just make a very informed descision.

Just to throw my 2 cents out there before the negativity starts flooding in again. I personally like my job at NJA, better than any I have had under 91,135,121 etc. And it will only get better, as long as people stay professional and don't let this get drug into the mud any deeper. YES it has been a long wait for this contract business, and it will be a long time yet. I personally am getting tired of the bashing of other pilots and now even the owners (talk about unprofessional.) Neither of which is going to get this done any quicker. Someone already said it but this is WAY different than about any kind of flying so think seriously about wether or not you think it is for you. There are ALOT of people here that need to move on to something else because no matter what the contract comes out to be they will never be happy with this job. It just isn't for them. From what I have heard about Mesa I would say run don't walk out that door if you have the chance. JMHO!

find a marine chief pilot...it worked for me 3 times...and if i was a chief and was hiring you would be in :)
s/f

great who cares about skill or aptitude. Just hire a marine.

Marine = Skill and aptitude :D

Anyway thanks for all the info everyone...
I'm going to fill it out and send it in. PIC time isn't my concern. Heck, I'm getting that now and it's not helping land the dream job :rolleyes: . QOL and pay are my only concerns. I'm a straight slave sitting ready reserve almost daily here at Mesa. I'll be sad leaving the mighty Dash, but I'm ready to move on.

Thanks again...!! Hope they call..

Latest resources

Back