• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Unrest Puts Warren Buffett in a Rare Pinch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I left Netjets with seven years of experience. I was great at my job. I was highly experience in the airplane. I knew the airports we frequently flew into. I knew the gotchas, locations of the FBO's, common taxi routes and approaches. I knew all the techniques for getting the job done. I was proud to be able to turn the jet in twenty minutes. I was proud to be able to fly into Hawaii one day with all the special oceanic procedures and fly into Canada the next. I liked the job.

Unfortunately, I was never compensated well. I was on the seven and seven schedule and my gross pay was about $76,000 a year (after SEVEN years) with no upgrade or good future in sight.

I shopped my skills after I had my fill of the new Hansell regime. I was hired by a major airline two months later.

Today I find myself two weeks from completing my probation year. It was a lot of work and stress to leave, but the future looks very bright.

This month my schedule was three on four off. Next month I will gross about $9350 for the month. The company will contribute about another 20% towards my retirement this coming year. I have basic healthcare that I don't pay for. The benefits are too many to list. All the open time I want to pick up.

The funny thing is I'm still doing basically the same job. Still the same skill set. One company was willing to pay for having an experience pilot up front. The other company was not. Who would you want to work for?

Good luck Netjets pilots.

You are grossly underpaid for the job you do. Don't sell yourself short.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you gents for pointing out your reasons for leaving and I wish you both great good luck.

I am one of those "of a certain age" and seniority that no longer has enough career runway to make up the earnings hit by jumping to a major airline. I agree that ANYBODY under 50 and any FO under 58-60ish would be better served finding employment at most of the major or national carriers.

The rest of us need to resolve ourselves to fighting like hell to rescue this company and our careers from the black hole created by Sokol, Hansell, and Buffett.

Yes G4Dude, I'm talking to you.

Thanks to both of you gents for pointing out your reasons for leaving and I wish you both great good luck.

I am one of those "of a certain age" and seniority that no longer has enough career runway to make up the earnings hit by jumping to a major airline. I agree that ANYBODY under 50 and any FO under 58-60ish would be better served finding employment at most of the major or national carriers.

The rest of us need to resolve ourselves to fighting like hell to rescue this company and our careers from the black hole created by Sokol, Hansell, and Buffett.

Yes G4Dude, I'm talking to you.

I am listening. Just worried about the results of our tactics. I think Warren is already unhappy enough with us for having 4 Unions on the property. And I think a new owner would treat us badly compared to Warren.

I think Warren is already unhappy enough with us for having 4 Unions on the property.

I don't think Uncle Warren gives a rat's rear-end about us, our unions, or our pay problems. Uncle Warren is only worried about HIS bottom line. If we want good relations with Uncle Warren NetJets needs to make lots of money. He doesn't care if those profits come from a union shop, or the devil himself.

Anyone who has worked for NetJets for more than 10 minutes is aware of the incredible waste and inefficiency. Hansell is trying to cover those problems with employee sacrifice instead of working on efficiency/productivity.

We need to make Hansell understand how expensive a shut down operation is. Hopefully we can do this without an actual shut-down.

Hansell is dangerous because his emotional hatred of unions clouds his judgement.

I am listening. Just worried about the results of our tactics. I think Warren is already unhappy enough with us for having 4 Unions on the property. And I think a new owner would treat us badly compared to Warren.

A) I don't CARE if Warren is unhappy with us. I'm unhappy with HIM.

B) Selling NetJets is an idle threat. NEVER HAPPEN. The Return on Invested Capital is too good.

I don't think Uncle Warren gives a rat's rear-end about us, our unions, or our pay problems. Uncle Warren is only worried about HIS bottom line. If we want good relations with Uncle Warren NetJets needs to make lots of money. He doesn't care if those profits come from a union shop, or the devil himself.

Anyone who has worked for NetJets for more than 10 minutes is aware of the incredible waste and inefficiency. Hansell is trying to cover those problems with employee sacrifice instead of working on efficiency/productivity.

We need to make Hansell understand how expensive a shut down operation is. Hopefully we can do this without an actual shut-down.

Hansell is dangerous because his emotional hatred of unions clouds his judgement.

Absolutely correct in all respects.

ESPECIALLY your last point.

Latest resources

Back