• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Union Disaster Unfolding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am a simple guy...why is it in NJA's interest to change the interpretation of the recall rules?

Spoken like a true Military man, I got mine.

Really? I got mine? I got ten and a half years of military service for my country. I got several major surgeries and metal in my body. I have pain that I live with everyday until I die. I don't have a retirement pension, but I do have self worth. Is that what you meant by I got mine?

Spoken like a true Military man, I got mine.

Wow, aren't you a class act... Did a military service member steal away your old lady? Let me guess, you blame your second rate aviation career on a military pilot that got the job you'll never have....You must be a PIC at NJ. You don't deserve to stand in the same room as someone who has served this country in our military.

Get off the military reference.... That was a personal jab and uncalled for. With that said, there is a very serious un-justice taking place as we debate on this forum and others. Netjets pilots are being illegally terminated in mass, outside of the language and intent of the contract.

Read the language of the contract, 7.7 which was posted on page 1 of this thread. It protects the deferral rights of the furloughed pilot until he/she is "THE MOST JUNIOR CREWMEMBER" on the furloughed pilot seniority list. Up to 20 NON-DEFERRABLE recall notices are going out at once, as we speak with more to come.

Hypothetical here: Should NJASAP re-interpret the "no premium/no deductible" any doctor you want FREE health care provision of our contract since the entire healthcare landscape of our free nation has changed? Who negotiated that section of the contract? What was that negotiator thinking 9 years ago when that was signed? I say this because that is a line in the sand with most NJA pilots and something the company is coming at hard.... It is much easier to sell furloughed pilots seniority numbers and future careers, than it is to sell an a active members health care benefit... and we are not waiting to be sold, but rather have already BEEN SOLD... There were 15+ non-deferrable recall notices sent out on December 5 2014. NJASAP will NOT accept a grievance on the terms of section 7.7 of our contract. What would you do?

7.6 Duration of Recall Rights
There will be no limitation on the duration of a crewmembers recall rights.
7.7 Recall Deferral
A crewmember on furlough may defer recall, provided there is a more junior
crewmember on furlough on the date the recall notice is sent. If a
crewmember is the most junior crewmember on furlough on the date the recall
notice is sent and the crewmember does not accept the recall, he will
be immediately terminated and removed from the Seniority List. If a
crewmember desires to defer recall and is eligible to do so, the crewmember
will notify the Company according to subsection 7.4 of this Agreement.
Failure to give notice pursuant to subsection 7.4 will result in immediate
termination and removal from the Seniority List. Notwithstanding subsection
7.1, the Company may hire new crewmember(s) when a furloughed
crewmember has deferred recall, provided all furloughed crewmembers,
including crewmembers who have deferred the recall, will be offered the
opportunity to fill any future vacancy prior to hiring new crewmembers. It is
agreed and understood that crewmembers who have deferred the recall
will have recall rights to future vacancies only.

NOTWITHSTANDING 7.1: (SEE ABOVE UNDERLINED)

7.1 Reduction in Personnel
When a reduction in personnel becomes necessary, crewmembers active
on the NetJets Aviation, Inc. Pilot Seniority List (?Seniority List?) will be furloughed
in inverse seniority order. Management pilots on the Seniority List
are subject to furlough as set forth in subsection 7.10 of this Agreement.
New crewmembers will not be hired while crewmembers on the Seniority
List are furloughed. A furloughed crewmember will continue to accrue seniority
for the duration of the furlough. Each crewmember to be furloughed
will be notified in writing of the furlough and an estimate of the probable duration
thereof at his last filed address. Crewmembers to be furloughed will
be given two (2) weeks notice, or two (2) weeks pay in lieu of such notice.
Prior to giving crewmembers notice under this paragraph, the Company
will provide the Union with the layoff list and a current Seniority List. However,
should the furlough constitute a ?mass layoff? under the Worker Adjustment
and Retraining Notification ?WARN? Act, crewmembers to be
furloughed will receive sixty (60) days notice. Nothing herein will waive or
limit crewmembers? rights under the WARN Act.
"NOTWITHSTANDING 7.1"​
Why is this in section 7.7 if the intention was not to let furloughed pilots continue to defer? The language is so clear and calculated.​
There is only ONE (1) place in the entire 391 page document (NJA CBA) are the words " IT IS AGREED AND UNDERSTOOD" written.... secton 7.7 RECALL/DEFERRAL.... The people that are claiming a 180 degree opposite stance on contractual language have written "it is agreed to and understood" in the language that they are claiming is invalid because of intent.... WHAT DOES "IT IS AGREED TO AND UNDERSTOOD" MEAN?​

Let it be known, there are NO interpretive transcripts, negotiator notes, recordings, drawings, or any sort of evidence to support NJASAP and NJA's joint "re-interpretation" and illegal rewriting of the contract to illegally terminate pilots the way they are.

NJASAP is basing their enforcement of illegal terminations on the memory of a single man that negotiated this section of the contract 9 years ago, when self admittedly they never thought a furlough would happen.

Last edited:
From an outsider for sure, but this is a curious event.

Does the union somehow benefit from the termination of pilots on a current furlough? The company?

Just trying to understand why either entity cares if a recall is bypassed or accepted by a furloughed pilot. Must be a cost/savings/revenue item of some sort somewhere.

This is just my opinion, this is not I agree or disagree with what is going on.

NetJets is short on crews and needs to get the hiring spooled up. They want to return the furloughed pilots first and then move onto new hires. The union doesn't benefit from removing people from the seniority list. I want all of the furloughed pilots that want to come back returned to the line ASAP.

From an outsider for sure, but this is a curious event.

Does the union somehow benefit from the termination of pilots on a current furlough? The company?

Just trying to understand why either entity cares if a recall is bypassed or accepted by a furloughed pilot. Must be a cost/savings/revenue item of some sort somewhere.

Perhaps it's just that simple...for every class of new-hires at 1st year pay, the company clears off an equal number, or greater, of potential returnees that would come in at year 6/7/8 pay. Easier to budget when you know exactly where payroll will be in the next few years...

Perhaps it's just that simple...for every class of new-hires at 1st year pay, the company clears off an equal number, or greater, of potential returnees that would come in at year 6/7/8 pay. Easier to budget when you know exactly where payroll will be in the next few years...

Makes sense from the company side. I can see that; first year pay vs some seniority equals a lower cost employee. Removes some variables regarding future labor costs.

So, a class filled with new hires would result in lower union dues as well. Perhaps the union likes the idea of senior guys being pushed back onto the line for that reason?

People...let the legal system work this out. The most vocal groups are those who feel they are being harmed and two PIC's.

For all you furloughees and recent recalls, MP wants you to know that since you have been gone, he has worked really really hard..and been paid for it. What you have or have not been doing while on furlough does not matter any longer. Time for you to get back to work, wear some red, and toe the line. What you think are your rights do not matter...there are bigger fish to fry. And if you see MP, make sure you thank him...he really wants to hear that from you.

Latest resources

Back