Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
English said:
Hey you guys, Pilotyip is right.

100K a year is lot of money for a pilot without a degree flying cargo in a DA20.
ouch.

Pilotyip, while you make a valid arguement (in your own mind) the problem is that you have never seen the world outside the bottom feeding on-demand frieght carriers that survive on each and every call making a few nickles on each box, transmision or whatever.

If I am going to get called in the middle of the night or be gone from my family for extended periods of time I am going to have to make a living that will put my kids through college and be sure that my wife does not have to work. Having 1 parent away is hard enough. Going to daycare while your spouse must work would be downright cruel to a 4 year old. Every pilots goal is to make a good enough living as so they can provide for their families in such a way will give them an appreciation for life, education and hard work.

Without being able to provide that, then why are we here? Because we love to fly airplanes? Yea that is pretty cool, but it does not make up for being away from my family or getting called at all hours of the night.

To all you Netjet guys ... you go. Make the living that you deserve. Your familes and you deserve better.

PS I am also in management and know what it takes retain quality employees. You do not have to be at the top, but the bottom is no place to start either.

Dangerkitty said:
OK Einstein then tell me this. If there are "too many seats trying to fly around too few passengers" then why is AA (my airline) flying record loads hovering around 80%.

Can you answer that?
Yes, they are selling the seats below cost to get enough people to fly. If they raised their prices high enough to make money on them, the airplanes would be far less full.

You might want to consider the fact that AA is losing money. They could have 100% loads, but if they are in the red...

Last edited:
Whirlwind said:
Yes, they are selling the seats below cost to get enough people to fly. If they raised their prices high enough to make money on them, the airplanes would be far less full.

You might want to consider the fact that AA is losing money. They could have 100% loads, but if they are in the red...
How can you prove the statement you just made? I would love to see it, yet all the airlines are too chicken to try it and see if your hypothesis is correct.

G100driver said:
If I am going to get called in the middle of the night or be gone from my family for extended periods of time I am going to have to make a living that will put my kids through college and be sure that my wife does not have to work. Having 1 parent away is hard enough. Going to daycare while your spouse must work would be downright cruel to a 4 year old. Every pilots goal is to make a good enough living as so they can provide for their families in such a way will give them an appreciation for life, education and hard work.

Without being able to provide that, then why are we here? Because we love to fly airplanes? Yea that is pretty cool, but it does not make up for being away from my family or getting called at all hours of the night.

To all you Netjet guys ... you go. Make the living that you deserve. Your familes and you deserve better.
G100driver--what an excellent post! I am in complete agreement w/you, as are 82% of the NJ pilots. Btw, 98% of their ballots were returned, so truly that is a powerful statement of what the pilotforce thought of the insulting TA they were presented. Absolutely, they and their families deserve much better--the pilots have already earned it, and their families have done more than their fair share to help the company grow.

My husband received his call at 4am this morning/last night. By tomorrow our 3yr old daughter will be asking when Daddy comes home--he's out for 5 days this time. Luckily she has me with her all the time, but that is only because my husband is retired AF. Other NJ families aren't in that position and are faced w/a situation NO pilot's family should have to suffer. Thank you for your support.

Good luck to you and your family,
Netjetwife

Dangerkitty said:
How can you prove the statement you just made? I would love to see it, yet all the airlines are too chicken to try it and see if your hypothesis is correct.
Proving it is quite simple...

Lets say I want to fly from DFW to LAS. Lets say that American Airlines and America West both have flights when I want to go. Now American wants to make money, so they offer a ticket for 20% more than America West.

Whom do you think I'm going to buy a ticket on? If you guessed America West, congrats, you guessed correctly.

While it is true that some people would still fly American Airlines on that flight, the load factor would be way down. It has been tried many times over the years, they don't sell tickets at the prices they do by accident.

Whirlwind said:
Proving it is quite simple...

Lets say I want to fly from DFW to LAS. Lets say that American Airlines and America West both have flights when I want to go. Now American wants to make money, so they offer a ticket for 20% more than America West.

Whom do you think I'm going to buy a ticket on? If you guessed America West, congrats, you guessed correctly.

While it is true that some people would still fly American Airlines on that flight, the load factor would be way down. It has been tried many times over the years, they don't sell tickets at the prices they do by accident.
You have proved nothing. The only thing you have proved is that you have a myopic view of the airline industry of which you are not a part of. You forgot things like loyalty to a carrier and airline miles. A person with a few million miles on AA is not going to fly on AWA just becuase the cost is a little less.

Oh and by the way, the DFW-LAS scernario that you just typed out is about the worst you could have given. Anything in and out of LAS has the worst yields in the USA. Learn the industry a little better before you give examples like this. AA gives out airline miles for these scernarios that you just pointed out.

Try again skippy.

Last edited:
Dangerkitty said:
You have proved nothing. The only thing you have proved is that you have a myopic view of the airline industry of which you are not a part of. You forgot things like loyalty to a carrier and airline miles. A person with a few million miles on AA is not going to fly on AWA just becuase the cost is a little less.

Oh and by the way, the DFW-LAS scernario that you just typed out is about the worst you could have given. Anything in and out of LAS has the worst yields in the USA. Learn the industry a little better before you give examples like this. AA gives out airline miles for these scernarios that you just pointed out.

Try again skippy.

AA Pilot --

Don't know if you noticed or not, but you're in the Fractional part of this message board. Majors are in another section. Maybe there are pilots over there that can give you answers you like. Regards --

Whirlwind a voice of reason

Whirlwind a voice of reason in a sea "What is in it for me" The old supply and demand keeps getting in the way want we would like the industry to be like.

For English, great post

It is not ever day that English and I agree upon something. But almost all of our 10-year pilots are in the $100K range, and most are not looking for other jobs. And like other top performing companies such as SWA and JB we do not let a piece of paper stand in the way of hiring the right guy. We have hired dozens of pilots with degrees, including masters and Ph.D. Degrees are common, most pilots have one, but in the end they have little to do with flying an airplane.

Latest resources

Back