Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inthepool

My name is Inigo Montoya
Please pardon my ignorance and bear with me on this one...

There's been a lot of talk about QOL and pay on this board, but I would like to know a little bit more about the actual job...

I realize that an airplane is an airplane, etc etc, but once on the ground the differences between 121 and the fractionals could be huge. (I know, I know, I'm a babied airline puke...) Does Netjets have a dispatch department or do you plan and file your own flight plans? Is all the servicing done by FBOs, or are you behind the scenes dumping lavs, loading bags, etc? Is there a flight attendant? And if there isn't, does the FO take care of the pax in flight? Finally, do the pax fit the rich people stereotype and treat you like dirt?

Again, pardon my ignorance, and thanx for your insight.

Does Netjets have a dispatch department or do you plan and file your own flight plans?

We have a licensed dispatchers on staff who handle that. About the only time we end up filing our own flight plans is a computer glitch at Bridgeway.

Is all the servicing done by FBOs, or are you behind the scenes dumping lavs, loading bags, etc?

Servicing is typically done by FBO's under supervision from the crews. Often we'll load the bags, too, but typically the line guys are more than happy to help ($$$). And those tips are reimbursed.

Is there a flight attendant? And if there isn't, does the FO take care of the pax in flight?

The only planes with full-time FA's are the BBJ and the Falcon on the NJA side. Flight attendants can be requested by the owners onbaord any aircraft but I've never seen one in the Ultra/Encore fleet. As for taking care of the pax, it's crew thing. Often, the pax are just happy to sit in back and enjoy the ride.

Finally, do the pax fit the rich people stereotype and treat you like dirt?

There are jackasses at all income levels, to be blunt. For the most part, the owners and cardholders I've flown with are really good people. I've seen very, very few snooty types, as I think you are alluding to. Rather, I mostly see polite, good-natured people who are blessed with a lot of income. You could probably hear a lot of stories from NetJets crews about how nice a lot of the folks in back are, from sports figures to movie stars, etc.

does the FO take care of the pax in flight? Finally, do the pax fit the rich people stereotype and treat you like dirt?

This was kind of a concern for me before I started working here. Most (so far, all) of the time you say hello to the pax when they arrive, let them get in the plane, before or after the safety brief ask if they want anything (usually the most you'll do is hand back a bottle of water or a coke). The pax usually take care of themselves during the flight, and when they come up to the refreshment area (behind the pilots) they ask if they can get us anything! And as guitar said, the majority are nice down to earth people who treat you like a human being.

Airlines vs fractionals...

Airlines... you are locked in a cockpit, behind a bullet proof door. No interaction with anyone while inflight. While on the ground, you are free to wait in line at McDonalds or Taco Bell, or go check the loads for your commute home.

Fractionals... you fly around with no cockpit door. Free to get up at anytime to get crewfood or snacks, or run to the lav. It is true that our ground time is busy...clean up, wipe down, vacuum, make sure you have enough snacks that you want...then relax.

If you have down time (3 hr break)...

Airlines...try to find a clean and quiet place in the terminal or crewroom (if at a domicile).

Fractionals...go to the FBOs pilot lounge and enjoy the big screen TVs, computer, and relax. If you want to go for a quick drive, ask for a crew car.

I know that most fractional guys have no desire to fly for the airlines, and most airline guys have no desire to fly fractionals. But if you like variety, and the occasional challenge, fractionals is where its at.

(FWIW....most of our owners are nice and polite. They are seasoned travelers, so they know what they can and cannot do and bring).

I've only had 1 trip this month where the owners were a little snobby..They weren't mean or anything, the wife was a little on the snooty side. As expected the husband just sat back and enjoyed the ride..My only gripe about them is they never sayed anything getting off the plane(not a thanks or merry x-mas). But if thats the worst than I don't have all that much to complain about.

Earlier this month a lady heading to a ski resort town asked us if we wanted anything, cleaned up after herself and her really well behaved kids. And she actually wouldn't let me take the wrappers etc. from her while she was cleaning up. She insisted on handling the trash herself. Then she took the time to get directions for us so we could get a good dinner at a place she knew of in town.

Important part to remember when flying these pax. Some actually do have respect for our profession and listen to what we have to say. They don't usually treat us as their "employees". Or servants. And if they get really out of line you can stop the flight/divert if need be. (as a last resort).

I had the same doubts leaving the 121 world for 91 and also from moving from my small 91 job to NJA. But it's definitely way better than any regional job can be. (although I've never been to a major, I don't really envy those guys as I digest the grilled salmon lunch I ate while watching the flat screen at the FBO) And then get my revenue flight home hoping to be in after midnight so I can collect anoth 1K on my next paycheck! And then seehow many airline and hotel miles I have so I can go on my next free vacation.:laugh:

I actually had a passenger offer his house to me and my crew while he and his family went skiing. He was telling us about his 62 in TV and fridge full of beer. Unfortunatly, we had to decline but the offer was appreciated!

Meeting the person who invented the Mustang, Presidential canidates, TV icons, and the like also make the job interesting.

I thought when I started flying 17 years ago that I would be an airline guy for the rest of my life. Now you couldn't pay me enough to go back. This kind of flying is not for everyone. If you need to know exactly what you are doing and when you are going to do it, then this is not for you. This job is unpredictable and requires a person that can adapt and switch gears easily.

There are a lot of hidden benefits that, for me, make this my last stop. I truly love it here. Netjets saved me from 20 plus years of airline hell.

Thanks Uncle Warren.

Does NJA have any left seat flying privaleges for the gear swinger.

Does NJA have any left seat flying privaleges for the gear swinger.

Not sure what you are trying to ask. NJs doesnt hire "gear swingers". All of our pilots have an ATP and a minimum of 2500 hrs.

As far as flying goes, SICs can fly from either the left or right seat. Left seat on empty legs or right seat with pax. I usually only fly the empty legs from the left seat. This is my choice. I have been flying from the left seat for the past 15 years, and just feel more comfortable there.

Latest resources

Back