• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LiveFreeorDie

Large Member
I need some advice from NetJet pilots.

I am about 180-240 deep in the Southwest pool and have a steady job that pays ~50K a year as a simulator instructor.

I have a wife and three kids.

NetJets just called and offered me a January interview. My best guess is Southwest will call me for training in 8-18 months. So do I sit tight here with my sim job, or do I take the interview and training contract with NetJets?

What is realistic first year pay?

How grueling is the first year schedule?

Is it fun/worth taking a pay cut and risking the training contract if SWA calls sooner than later?

Any input from current NetJet employees would be appreciated.

Q

LiveFree:

I wish we could see into the future what the best course of action for you would be, however. It's not possible. I do have some inside info as to the company culture here at NetJets.

First, things are quite different at NetJets in the past nine or so months. People are generally still happy on many levels, but as you can imagine, year two of negotiations is having it's toll on moral for both the pilots and managements decision making.

When I was hired at NetJets a couple of years ago, you did not here of any group of individuals being pitted against one another (ie: management-pilots). Now, it's not uncommon to see our company message boards flooded with third party commentaries of such situations. We've even had one of our MEC members fired recently for not taking a trip because he was tired?

Mmm, not a statement on managements part there eh?

All in all, if you keep your nose clean at NetJets, you'll do just fine. I have had none of those negative experiences. In fact I still believe this is one of the best aviation jobs I've held in fifteen years and three airlines!

As for the pay, starting is currently 28,500 with a bump upto 38,500 usually within the first two months of employment. (It's based on you or someone junior to you upgrading)

As for you accepting the interview, think twice my friend. You will be signing into a two year contract that I KNOW is enforceable. One of my friends left a year ago and regrets leaving because he is stuck repaying the whole deal.

You'll here all kinds of stories how THESE EMPLOYMENT CONTRACTS are NOT ENFORCEABLE, well, THEY ARE!

Just ask my friend who was sent to collections without seeing a day in court! His attorney said the contract may be 13,800 however. It would cost my friend at least 10,500 to have a possibility in court to beat it! Fancy that, great legal system eh?

Well, I just do not see what you'd be gaining if you went to NetJets? You already make more money and obviuosly you are not tied to your current position.

Additionally, you might be taking the NetJets interview of someone who is either unemployed or underemployed and really needs it.

Either way you go on your decision, I wish you the best of luck!!

JJ

How long have you been in the pool at SWA for? Is there a time limit that they allow you to remain in the pool, before they make people re-interview? Does SWA require a certain amount of actual flight time in the last 6 months or 1 yr prior to going to ground school?I have a friend who was in a pool at an airline to end up only having to re interview since they where in there so long. I would check see if anything strange could happen waiting in the pool, like any of the past questions that could affect you. If not and you want to go to NetJets instead of SWA then I would do the interview, but if you dont have any real intentions of wanting to go to netjets vs. SWA then i would just wait for SWA. Either way you are in a good situation but to go to a company for a 1yr knowing you are going to leave when there is a training contract might be costly.

Here's an opinion for what it's worth. ($0.02)

I find myself rushing to apply to every "Fly By Night" that's hiring, only to reel myself back in by realizing that I don't want to work there. After analyzing NetJets I came to the realization that I don't want to pursue flying for them. Not that I ever had a chance. JimEjet made some really good points. They’ve been talking about a pay raise at NetJets for a long time. Until such time do you really want to fly 14-hour days for 7 straight days, for 30K – 40K a year?

You are not in the "beggars can't be choosers" category. I’d wait for SWA.

Before all you NetJeters flame me, it’s just my opinion. I’m not saying NetJets is a Fly by Night! Some of the other companies I have resume out with, yes.

BTW, congrats on your NetJets interview!:D

I guess it all depends whether you want to fly B-737s for the rest of your career. Flying in and out of the same 40 airports, quick turning everywhere, and flying middle and lower-middle class pax

or

fly the highest technology jets to thousands of airports with celebrities, CEO's and the beautiful people, and be treated first class at FBO's, hotels etc.

Whenever the Netjets contract is complete, their pay shouldn't be that much lower than Southwest - so unless you NEED to make 200k+ a year, it shouldn't matter.

If you just want to work at Netjets while waiting for SW to call - Don't bother.

Bird in Hand.

Isn't there a story that goes along with turning down a flying job while waiting on another? The classic delay your training date with one airline hoping your favorite airline will call next week, then your favorite airline stops hiring, and you now have to wait a few months at the one airline for another training date.

Seems to me, if you think NetJets would be better than sim teaching take it. When/IF SWA calls, it is decision time. If you are satisfied with NetJets fine, if not, try SWA. The airline world seems to be all about timing. How many people do you know who are working for the airline they always wanted to work for vs. the airline that called first?

Every job in life is a stepping stone. If someone doesn't want you to work for them because you might move on to bigger and better things, then they have a strange context of life. Rather than piss on you for thinking you might move on, they should show you how great things are so you'll want to stay.

Another easy one...

You simply have to ask yourself "...where do I want to work...."

I gather that your career goal is SWA, and that you've attained this....just waiting for the class.

If this is true, then I'll go out on a limb and say that you simply would ONLY want to work at EJA to "tide you over". I would argue that you already have a job doing just that.

As someone else said, if it's SWA, then just chill out.

Thanx for your support

Thank you all for your opinions.

I think that I will probably stick it out at my current job and wait for Southwest.

Mainly because I would be taking the job and I am sure there is someone out there who would kill for the opportunity to go to NetJets.

I have read hundreds of posts about guys picking between two airlines, and always thought "I wish I had that guys problems" It's nice to be where I am now.

So keep pluggin' and sooner or later we'll all get where we are goin.

-LFoD

...NKAWTG...N!

Netjets vs SWA Pool

My instinct says to stay at your present job. I have 4 kids and I like to be around as much as possible. You're in a pool with SWA. Don't worry and let it take its course.

beytzim said:
I guess it all depends whether you want to fly B-737s for the rest of your career. Flying in and out of the same 40 airports, quick turning everywhere, and flying middle and lower-middle class pax

or

fly the highest technology jets to thousands of airports with celebrities, CEO's and the beautiful people, and be treated first class at FBO's, hotels etc.

Whenever the Netjets contract is complete, their pay shouldn't be that much lower than Southwest - so unless you NEED to make 200k+ a year, it shouldn't matter.

If you just want to work at Netjets while waiting for SW to call - Don't bother.

That cracks me up..flying celebrities, CEO's and the "beautiful people". I've done that stuff AND pax service for the airlines. I wouldn't go back to flying a buisness jet (if I have the choice) for anything. These so called "beautiful people" can truly be a pain in the a$$!!

FBO's treat people like first class depending on how much fuel they can buy...not because they are Netjets. A good FBO treats everybody like first class.

You make some valid points about flying the 737 to the same 40 airports. As far as flying "the highest technology jets", when its all said and done who cares how many bells and whistles your jet has. The best aircraft is the one your getting paid to fly today!

Swimmer:D

Latest resources

Back