Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets Gulfstreams & Globals - Coexisting?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

It is still unclear whether the incoming Global Express aircraft will be replacing all of the current Gulfstreams or just some of the older Gulfstreams (i.e., GIVSPs). What's the plan? Some questions:

1. How many G450s and G550s are on order and have not been delivered yet?

2. Will those newer, yet-to-be delivered airplanes be replaced by the Globals or will those orders be cancelled?

3. Have any potential timelines for replacements been offered? I have heard the GIVSPs are looking their age...

Thanks for any insight. Personally, I hope you keep some of those G450/550s - those are awesome airplanes.

The Gulfstream orders were cancelled when the Global order was made. The G-IVs will be the first out the door (already sold at least one). Probably some of the few old G-Vs will be sold in the not too distant future. I would have to guess that as the Globals come in, the Gulfstreams will leave. I think there will be newer 450 and 550s on property for many years to come, but eventually I think they will all be sold away. At least they shouldn't have much trouble getting rid of the Gulfstreams for a reasonable price when it is time since they are great airplanes. The Globals will start arriving in late 2012.

That's a shame that the G-Whizzes will likely leave completely. I got a tour of a G450 (non-Netjets) recently and I was seriously impressed - that Planeview technology is fantastic and makes my ERJ seem prehistoric. I am sure the Globals will be nice too (if you can stand the ultra-long flights - but I guess the G550 pilots will do just fine given their current worldwide flights).

Are the Netjets Globals scheduled to use the Global Vision Flight Deck or the older/CRJ-like technology found in today's Globals?

Here's info on the Vision Flight Deck from the Bombardier website:

Global Vision flight deck
The Global Vision flight deck introduces the Rockwell Collins' Pro Line Fusion avionics suite that provides an integrated flight deck to ensure interoperability between systems. Debuting on the Bombardier Global family, Pro Line Fusion features four high resolution 15-inch diagonal active matrix liquid crystal displays (LCD) arranged in a T shape working in concert with the Head-Up Display (HUD), personalized formats of display information, electronic checklist, maps with graphical flight planning, integrated Cursor Control Panel (CCP), Synthetic Vision System (SVS), Enhanced Vision System (EVS), dual Integrated Flight Information Systems (IFIS) with electronic charts and enhanced maps, Future Air Navigation System (FANS), Controller-Pilot DataLink Communication (CPDLC) and MultiScan™ Weather Detection system.

With the Global Vision flight deck, advanced technology meets with exceptional aesthetics to create a new flight deck experience. Great attention is dedicated to details. The yoke features twin needle stitching with contrast thread to provide the feel of a luxury vehicle steering wheel. Map Lighting as well as sun visor are more aesthetically pleasing and position where they are most effective. Storage place is increased and designed to integrate smoothly into cockpit environment.

Back when we were flogging the dog in crappy flying jobs and a buddy had the inside line on a new start-up with cool equipment we used to have a line: "Believe it when the Flight Attendant brings you a glass of OJ at 35,000 feet."

Same thing applies here.

That's a shame that the G-Whizzes will likely leave completely. I got a tour of a G450 (non-Netjets) recently and I was seriously impressed - that Planeview technology is fantastic and makes my ERJ seem prehistoric. I am sure the Globals will be nice too (if you can stand the ultra-long flights - but I guess the G550 pilots will do just fine given their current worldwide flights).

Are the Netjets Globals scheduled to use the Global Vision Flight Deck or the older/CRJ-like technology found in today's Globals?

Here's info on the Vision Flight Deck from the Bombardier website:

Global Vision flight deck
The Global Vision flight deck introduces the Rockwell Collins' Pro Line Fusion avionics suite that provides an integrated flight deck to ensure interoperability between systems. Debuting on the Bombardier Global family, Pro Line Fusion features four high resolution 15-inch diagonal active matrix liquid crystal displays (LCD) arranged in a T shape working in concert with the Head-Up Display (HUD), personalized formats of display information, electronic checklist, maps with graphical flight planning, integrated Cursor Control Panel (CCP), Synthetic Vision System (SVS), Enhanced Vision System (EVS), dual Integrated Flight Information Systems (IFIS) with electronic charts and enhanced maps, Future Air Navigation System (FANS), Controller-Pilot DataLink Communication (CPDLC) and MultiScan™ Weather Detection system.

With the Global Vision flight deck, advanced technology meets with exceptional aesthetics to create a new flight deck experience. Great attention is dedicated to details. The yoke features twin needle stitching with contrast thread to provide the feel of a luxury vehicle steering wheel. Map Lighting as well as sun visor are more aesthetically pleasing and position where they are most effective. Storage place is increased and designed to integrate smoothly into cockpit environment.

Buying new airplanes has nothing to do with this. Its about the "Art of the Deal". How good of a price can you get, how good a deal on maintenance can you get, how many old planes can you sell back to the OEM and again "How Good of a Price can you Negotiate".

The rest holds a back seat to this.

All the Globals NJA has said they will get are supposed to have the Global Vision flight deck. Management is hoping for a common type for all 4 versions of Global, but nobody knows if the 7000 and 8000 will share the same type rating or not since they are still years away from coming off the drawing board into reality. Heck, nobody really knows if any Globals will truly make it onto the property anyway with NetJets history of cancelled orders. I guess it is more likely than not that all the big Gulfstreams go away and are replaced, but you just never know how things will truly shake out with all the loopholes in the contracts and the uncertainty with the economy.

All the Globals NJA has said they will get are supposed to have the Global Vision flight deck. Management is hoping for a common type for all 4 versions of Global, but nobody knows if the 7000 and 8000 will share the same type rating or not since they are still years away from coming off the drawing board into reality. Heck, nobody really knows if any Globals will truly make it onto the property anyway with NetJets history of cancelled orders. I guess it is more likely than not that all the big Gulfstreams go away and are replaced, but you just never know how things will truly shake out with all the loopholes in the contracts and the uncertainty with the economy.

Thank God the new Netjets CEO is an attorney!!!!

Some additional questions: how many non-NJI pilots (i.e, legacy Netjets) have seats in the Gulfstreams as either Captains or First Officers? Do you get many legacy Netjets pilots bidding FO seats on the Gulfstreams? What would the seat-lock be on a GIV/GV/G450/G550 FO seat? On the other side of the coin, how many former NJI pilots have bid non-Gulfstream seats?

Another question is what are the G-IV Captains who are junior to NJA First Officers going to do when their airplanes go away and they can only hold First Officer positions?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back