Netjets for retirees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sparse

just found this site and I have been offered an interview with NJ. I am retiring from a major, 54, and thought I might be interested in the biz jet industry. I don't see much positive about NJ on this site. Like some of the other forums I belong to, there seems to be just a handful of posters who tend to be very passionate about their position and I wonder if I am getting the real story about NJ.

Is it that bad of a place to work? Are there any retirees who might shed some light from that perspective?

Last edited:
I think if pay and schedule doesn't matter then go for it.I think with your time you could get on with a corporate operator and have the best of both worlds.What airline are you retiring from?

I plan to retire from Delta because of the retirement issue. NJ is appealing because I don't have to move, and don't have to commute. I guess I understand this gateway thing. From what I gathered NJ will either schedule me from PDK or get me to the airplane. Is this correct? A corperate gig would be great but I don't have any ratings and it seems to be a "who you know" issue and being at the right place at the right time.

It's a long step from 777 Capt to loading bags and catering for Mr & Mrs Rich. You'll be almost 60 by the time you'll upgrade and there is no assurance of the type of a/c you will be assigned. That said, we have lots of guys in your position. The ones I know are already PICs but I don't know if that will be an issue for you.
You're right about duty starts, the current gateway system is as you described, the only other thing will be the schedule. You'll start on a 17 day per month, that can be any combination that gets 17 days of work out of you. Some of the rules are if they work you 6, you get 3 off. Otherwise it could be 5 on 2 off, 5 on 2 off. 5 on etc.
Good luck.

Sparse,

I fly with many retired airline pilots at Netjets. I have asked many why they do the job, if they don't need the money. The common response is they are not through with flying. We do have at least 5 Delta people I have run into. I will not post their names, but if ALPA publishes a list of who is doing what.... I would start from there.

As for Netjets. This is a full time job, and you will work. You will be the problem solver on the road, and you will get tired. Simple.

Best of Luck.

good luck to you . where there is a will, there is a way...if you are in GA you could look into FSI in SAV for Gulfstreams and commute. Be a sim instructor and get ratings, meet clients and go from there.

As a retiree (not airline) now at NetJets, I also thought NetJets would be an interesting retirement job. My past career allows me a little more financial flexibility that some of the younger co-workers I fly with, but does not lessen my interest in getting paid a market-based wage. The one thing that I would keep in mind is that when you show up for work your past success or financial resources have no bearing on how much you will work. Your schedule is just as heavy as that of the pilot behind in his house payments and trying to put three kids through college. As a result of the current labor tensions, scheduling has adopted punitive work schedules that play havoc with any normal person's rest cycles. While this will probably abate somewhat in months to come, my personal forecast is that 12-14 hour days will become the new standard, regardless of when a new contract is approved. Additionally, morale throughout the company is abysmal, and while a new contract will improve some of the morale, I believe the issue will have a longer impact than most people I talk to. New contract or not, the management philosophy (and ability) is not likely to change quickly, and the pilots will continue to bear the brunt of that no matter what they get paid.

If it sounds like I don't like the work, that's not true. It is interesting flying and the pilots are a good group of people. However, the current situation is so corrosive that I would not join this company if I had it over to do today. The upgrade times are long, the schedules are rigid and awful, and compensation picture is unclear. My recommendation is to sit out the next six months to a year and then check back to re-assess the future at NetJets.

Gandolf

Thats the best post I have seen here in a long time, I cant understand why a retired airline pilot would want to work that much.
There are so many opportunities for them, and they want to sit around flea bag FBOs and loading bags and lav changes.

J3 Guy

I ran into a new(less than 2 months on the line) FO for Netjets at a hotel gym a couple months ago. He was a retired Delta 767 Captain. He was placed in the Falcon 2000. He stated that the operations of general aviation were "a real eye opener", and he said "I may not do this for as long as I thought". He then proceeded to tell me how fun it was to see all these different places, and that "I don't care how much they pay me, I just want to fly". I was disappointed, to say the least. I know that guys like that are the minority rather than the majority, but I hate to even hear anybody say that.

Latest resources

Back