Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rough67

5 t's
I tried searching and can't find the info anywhere. I was wondering if you are based in LAX (for example) how far away can you actually live (thinking about San Diego)? Is there a certain callout time or is there just a point in time that you have to report there by. I saw an earlier tread that said somthing about knowing the day prior if you'll be used or not, and it sounds like you could live several hours away from a base. (if you're willing to drive it.)

thanks.

You can live anywhere you want...You just have to be at your domicile at your showtime. You will have at least 10hrs notice of that showtime.

Remember though, you may have to work up to a 14hr day...may not want to spend you rest period traveling to LAX.

Tough situation. We have had a lot of folks commute to work and it sucks. But, at least you will have a report time and can plan accordingly.

You can live anywhere you want but must be within 90 miles of your assigned domicle when on duty. The night before thing is for reserve duty which you probably won't have to be on except right after training. Reserve pays quite a bit more than the 7-7 schedule so I doubt anyone will be junior assigned it.
With the 7 on 7 off you could live quite some distance away since you're not having to come to work that often. Before the current pilots were given home basing we had guys driving 7 hours or more to their gateway.

Edit: 54 pilots were junior assigned reserve, mostly F/O's on the Ultra and Excel. That's only 2.4% of the pilot group.

Last edited:
Hey Bear,

You sure about the 90 mile thing? I thought it went away...

Nightmare67 said:
Hey Bear,

You sure about the 90 mile thing? I thought it went away...

You might be right. The only reference I can find applies to Pre-TA pilots who live within 90 miles of one of the 5 domicles. They have to use that domicle instead of a HBA. Since we don't sit "Short Call" reserve at NJA it really doesn't matter that much. Just be there for your show time.

AirBear

AirBear8 said:
You might be right. The only reference I can find applies to Pre-TA pilots who live within 90 miles of one of the 5 domicles. They have to use that domicle instead of a HBA. Since we don't sit "Short Call" reserve at NJA it really doesn't matter that much. Just be there for your show time.

AirBear

Ya, I went back and looked too...I agree with you that it only seems to address pilots here at or prior to ratification...So I assumed (ya I know) that if you came here after ratification, you have to show at domicile. No requirement on where you live.

Oh well...

Current paperwork sent with application as of a few days ago states you "must be within 90 miles by midnight on their first day of duty." This referring to your domicile. This is item 7, page 4. Good luck with your decision!!

Distance to base requirement?

I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I currently live 2 hours from TEB. When I'm doing reserve or if I'm in the middle of a 7n7 tour I need to be within 90 min? Or do you need to permanently relocate to within 90 minutes of your base? Thanks for clarifying this for me!

I live in ATL and can't move anywhere right now. I just got the app in the mail. What are the chances of getting HBA in the next year or two if hired? Also, if after a tour you can request an alternate DHD and pay the difference, correct?

Cheers

Latest resources

Back