NetJets common carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G4dude

I am not up on labor law, and have a question. Why has the union not filed a common carrier lawsuit already?

Our previous leadership lacked the intestinal fortitude to do anything that might rock the boat. From what I understand, the single carrier lawsuit is slated for March filing.

What I don't understand is that the union lawyers know the law, and know NetJets' structure. If there is grounds for a lawsuit, it would not involve bravery or timidity. Either the situation is in violation of common carrier laws or it isn't. I have the feeling the Union is blowing smoke again.

Kinda sounds like you're whistling past the graveyard to me. Guess we'll all find out in March.

Maybe it is legal, maybe it isin't. But I for one want this battle fought, win or lose...enough of this guessing. I think both sides would have to agree we are only weakening each other by remaining separate...now don't confuse that statement with the idea that I think it would be beneficial for NJI pilots, cause if I was over there, I think the risks might be too great for your side. We have nothing to lose on this side, except maybe a bargaining chip.

I know NJI is mostly anti union...but how do you really know how many? It really is an anti-union culture overthere and it is a merit system is it not? I would not speak up either.
I dream of 2300 UNITED NJ pilots and 1000 union brothers at Options. Unions do not equal failure....look at SWA.

What I don't understand is that the union lawyers know the law, and know NetJets' structure. If there is grounds for a lawsuit, it would not involve bravery or timidity. Either the situation is in violation of common carrier laws or it isn't. I have the feeling the Union is blowing smoke again.

It involves timing. Ask this question? Do pilots flying on the A-side principally care whether the guys on the I side are on the same list as us... or do they really care about their new CBA and how it affects us?

As long as I get what I want... I don't care about a single carrier.

Does management care about you? All they have to do is pay us what's right and nobody is going to care much about single carrier.

Live long and prosper....

Last edited:
It is not the SWA union but the management / employee relationship that makes it work. This is unusual in this industry.
You forgot to mention UAL, American, US Airways, Delta, etc. Look at the success their unions have had in getting their pilots pay raises and better work rules. Oh, wait, they all took pay CUTS!!

bluepost said:
Maybe it is legal, maybe it isin't. But I for one want this battle fought, win or lose...enough of this guessing. I think both sides would have to agree we are only weakening each other by remaining separate...now don't confuse that statement with the idea that I think it would be beneficial for NJI pilots, cause if I was over there, I think the risks might be too great for your side. We have nothing to lose on this side, except maybe a bargaining chip.

I know NJI is mostly anti union...but how do you really know how many? It really is an anti-union culture overthere and it is a merit system is it not? I would not speak up either.
I dream of 2300 UNITED NJ pilots and 1000 union brothers at Options. Unions do not equal failure....look at SWA.

bluepost said:
Unions do not equal failure....look at SWA.

Ahhh. But therein lies the rub Blue. A Union, at best, is merely reactionary. It react to stimulus provided by Management. A Union cannot run the company... wouldn't dream of it. That's Managements job. A good Union will, However, define what is safe and what it's members are worth.

The question Dollar Bill Boisture was askd in December by a pilot during one of his dog n pony shows is "How do you want to treat this Union? As an asset or a liability? You can't have JetBlue... we have a Union. You CAN however have TWA-Icahn or you can hace a CAL-Bethune. It's all up to you. You take the lead Bill. SO what do you want?"

And I believe the silence that followed the sumed it all up then and now.

FLYLOW22 said:
Ahhh. But therein lies the rub Blue. A Union, at best, is merely reactionary. It react to stimulus provided by Management. A Union cannot run the company... wouldn't dream of it. That's Managements job. A good Union will, However, define what is safe and what it's members are worth.

The question Dollar Bill Boisture was askd in December by a pilot during one of his dog n pony shows is "How do you want to treat this Union? As an asset or a liability? You can't have JetBlue... we have a Union. You CAN however have TWA-Icahn or you can hace a CAL-Bethune. It's all up to you. You take the lead Bill. SO what do you want?"

And I believe the silence that followed the sumed it all up then and now.

If this is really a verbatim re-telling, its too bad the pilot didn't finish his question after the first two sentences..he might have gotten a thoughtful answer. But since he went on with his completely unnecessary, adolescent speechifying laced with an implied threat contained in the last question (I guess in an attempt to impress his peers by talking "tough" to the Boss) , silence was probably the best way to deal with it.

If you want to be treated like an adult, act (or ask questions) like an adult. You wouldn't answer a question phrased like that either.

El Chupacabra said:
As long as I get what I want... I don't care about a single carrier.

I went through this at my previous airline job. Trust me...hammer out this single carrier stuff NOW. If you don't the company will eventually use the two groups against each other. You will have much more negotiating leverage united.

later

Latest resources

Back