Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

j41driver

Hi all...

I have a question for the NJ guys that drive to their base...do you have to get in to base the night before your tour begins? What happens at the end of the tour if you get back in very late? I'm thinking that it could add up to 9 days on the road in the worst case scenario...is that correct?

If I decide to persue NJ, which I think is very likely, I'll have a 3 hour drive to CMH if they don't get home-basing back and I'm just wondering how the logistics could work. Sorry if these are stupid questions....I'm just a dumb airline guy thinking about changing direction. ;)

Thanks in advance for the info.

You need to be at your domicile at the start of your tour. If you get a 4am show, you'll need to decide between driving over the night before or leaving your house at 1 in the morning. Same deal if you get back late on the last day, remember the company can work you up to 14 hours so you could end up getting back to domicile pretty late sometimes.

If I decide to persue NJ, which I think is very likely, I'll have a 3 hour drive to CMH if they don't get home-basing back and I'm just wondering how the logistics could work. Sorry if these are stupid questions....I'm just a dumb airline guy thinking about changing direction. ;)

Thanks in advance for the info.

Search on here for the proposed list of 100 cities and see if any of them would be a shorter commute for you. If IBB is ratified (the vote count would be in the second half of November), all new-hires would have a list of 100 airports to choose from. It would be a step up from the current 5 dumb-a-ciles.

Hi all...

I have a question for the NJ guys that drive to their base...do you have to get in to base the night before your tour begins?

Totally up to you. You'll find out your show time by 6pm the evening prior. The time won't change, even if you're a "reserve" guy -- once you're briefed for a start time, that's the earliest you'll need to be there.

If it's a super-ungodly-early show, you might want to come stay the night before, but that's your call. I have a 3 hour drive as well, and unless the showtime is before about 7:30am (which has only happened once so far), I'll just come that morning.

What happens at the end of the tour if you get back in very late? I'm thinking that it could add up to 9 days on the road in the worst case scenario...is that correct?

Not quite, because you'd be coming the evening prior, and leaving the morning after. Could add up to a couple more nights on the road, yes, depending on how you feel about driving late at night.

I've gotten into my base before dinnertime occasionally on the last day, but usually it's late evening. I got into my base at 11:45pm last tour -- another 16 minutes, and it's an after-midnight return, for which the company pays 3 days' pay (about $650 for a newhire). The one night the NYC airports ran on time for me... grrrrr!

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks to all who have PM'd or replied here. I certainly appreciate the info. I have an 8 mile drive to PIT so obviously I'm hoping that the new bases go into effect but it seems that the CMH commute wouldn't be as bad as I had originally thought. Thanks again!

:beer:

Latest resources

Back